Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

Rarely I'll use Wen on my scalp.  99% of the time I  use another cleanser and add Wen to just the hair.  Often Wen is just my last step conditioner  these days. I get better results  and  can't argue with that.   I only buy the seasonal formulas and 613 vs the basics.

Respected Contributor

Thank you to the poster who suggested Aveda Invati shampoo. I ordered it from Amazon, and am eager to try it. Can't tell you how many WEN products I have. It would be awful to have wasted lots of money. I don't usually read on Beauty, so I didn't see this topic being discussed before. Your comments have been very helpful to me and I'm grateful this Thanksgiving week.

snappy Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?

That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 

@winamac1, did your derm tell you anything to use to get rid of the buildup but was gentle on hair? I'm looking for something to get rid of buildup on both hair and scalp but that doesn't strip color so would appreciate any recommendations your derm may have given you. TIA

Hi.  Yes, she told me to use Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid in it to remove the build up.  I hope that helps.

I have color-treated hair too.  It comes in a failry small bottle--maybe 4 or 5 ounces, and I got it at Walmart.  

Here's what I used:

https://jet.com/product/detail/f22f81fe38ba409cb9c69edcf9e0fee9?jcmp=pla:ggl:brands_jd_health_beauty...Smiley Tongue

@winamac1@, thanks for the info. You've never found the Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid to strip your hair color? I used a clairfier last week and it took a lot of my color out shortly after I'd colored it. So I'm looking for something gentle. And thank you to @Rachb for her suggestion of Aveda Invati shampoo. I'vce been using the scalp serum but haven't tried the shampoo yet.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

No doubt about it!

I'm so EXCITED AND I SEE EVERYONE ELSE IS TOO!

Chaz Dean will be here SOON!

And then there's BLACK FRIDAY!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

WEN it is good, it is good, WEN it is bad, it is bad.  This is life.Woman LOL

Super Contributor

Why do people get so offended at any Wen subjects.  I found this post interesting, as I have buildup as well.  I use Wen and other products as well on my hair! I will be trying the neutragena tsal shampoo once a week to see if it helps.  Everyone is so worried about who or what people are trolling for on this site, when they are trolling themselves.  Who cares, it's not like you own Wen?  I'm sure Chaz's sales are just fine.  Not sure what the big deal is, I thought this site is for sharing product experiences and recommendations.

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I've stated this many times.  Some do GREAT with WEN and some don't.  It is just like any other product.  I wish I could use WEN.  I think it is better for one's hair, and the models' all look fabulous using it.  I just have so many issues with dermatitis that it didn't work for me.  I itch without WEN, lol.  I am constantly on the hunt trying to find a shampoo or product that doesn't strip color but stops the itch.  

True, @winamac1 - Some do great with WEN and some don't. Like with any other product, this is true.

The only difference that I see, is that those who do great with WEN and use it, they do not indulge in posting here bashing other hair care products lines, that they do not or can not use.

At the same time, some of those, who don't use WEN for whatever their reason is, they keep on coming back to the subject of WEN and keep complaining about it. Why? 

This really getting old and super annoying to see this same-o-same-o stuff posted here endlessly.

Honored Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?

That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 

@winamac1, did your derm tell you anything to use to get rid of the buildup but was gentle on hair? I'm looking for something to get rid of buildup on both hair and scalp but that doesn't strip color so would appreciate any recommendations your derm may have given you. TIA

Hi.  Yes, she told me to use Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid in it to remove the build up.  I hope that helps.

I have color-treated hair too.  It comes in a failry small bottle--maybe 4 or 5 ounces, and I got it at Walmart.  

Here's what I used:

https://jet.com/product/detail/f22f81fe38ba409cb9c69edcf9e0fee9?jcmp=pla:ggl:brands_jd_health_beauty...Smiley Tongue

@winamac1@, thanks for the info. You've never found the Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid to strip your hair color? I used a clairfier last week and it took a lot of my color out shortly after I'd colored it. So I'm looking for something gentle. And thank you to @Rachb for her suggestion of Aveda Invati shampoo. I'vce been using the scalp serum but haven't tried the shampoo yet.

Hi.  I have not found it to strip.  I would not use the one with Coal Tar or Pine Tar as those definitely strip.  I do have another shampoo I bought at Fresh Thyme that has salicylic acid in it and for sure no sulfates.  I'll get you the name of it when I go up and look.  It was about $8 and it's fairly new.  But, no the T Fal did not appear to strip.  I couldn't tell for sure if it had sulfates.  in it. I don't think it did.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I've stated this many times.  Some do GREAT with WEN and some don't.  It is just like any other product.  I wish I could use WEN.  I think it is better for one's hair, and the models' all look fabulous using it.  I just have so many issues with dermatitis that it didn't work for me.  I itch without WEN, lol.  I am constantly on the hunt trying to find a shampoo or product that doesn't strip color but stops the itch.  

True, @winamac1 - Some do great with WEN and some don't. Like with any other product, this is true.

The only difference that I see, is that those who do great with WEN and use it, they do not indulge in posting here bashing other hair care products lines, that they do not or can not use.

At the same time, some of those, who don't use WEN for whatever their reason is, they keep on coming back to the subject of WEN and keep complaining about it. Why? 

This really getting old and super annoying to see this same-o-same-o stuff posted here endlessly.

I agree.  I have met Chaz at several beauty bashes years ago.  He's very kind and he was generous.  I so wanted to use his line.  I tried repeatedly, but it didn't work due to my dermatitis.  But, as I stated, I itch without WEN.  I just had buildup but I know not every one does.  It's probably just the way my sensitive scalp reacts to the ingredients.  So many do great with WEN. 

So, your point is well taken!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sonechko wrote:

@sonechko

ITA.  Jumping Jehosaphats!  Will the endless WEN bashing ever cease?  Will the WEN bashers EVER GET A REAL LIFE?

There are HUNDREDS of products sold right here on the Q that I would never consider using.

The difference is that I am not lurking around with baited breath waiting for ANY opportunity to LEAP in and voice my unreasoned opinion about them, telling others MY opinion of what THEY should and shouldn't use.

For some reason, maybe player-hater, or jealously of success, or just PLAIN OLE' MEAN, there is a posse of real, and fake posters for whom this is apparently THE ONLY SOURCE OF AMUSEMENT.

BORING, and LAME.

Guess they are as excited that Chaz Dean is coming SOON as I am!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras