Valued Contributor

Re: Anti Aging Products- holy grail

I began using skin care and make up in my early teens and have recently turned 65!  I have tried mostly everything from highest end to drug store brands and can say that I have very smooth, clear, unlined skin from using sunscreen daily since I was in my 30s, taking my make up off every night with a mild cleanser, using a mild exfoliator as I got older and am now on Retin A and Obagi #5 Blender with hydroquinone to keep my skin supple and fade any sun spots.  I moiturize with argan oil or marula oil when needed and during the day my current moistuizer is Olay Regenerist Sculpting Cream 30spf.  I clease at night with a wipe to get make up off and then a balm, currently Emma Hardie which I love, to clean and smooth my skin.  And a big antiager to me is a good quality light cream style foundation whenever i am out.  I feel this also protects my skin.  I started off in life very oily so could treat my skin much more strongly then I do now that it is normal/slightly dry.  I think having oily skin when you are young prevents you from wrinkling as you age, if you take care of your skin.  I switch around with brands but use the same products and it works for me!  I do what my skin tells me and how it feels, thats how I decidewhat I need and what to use.  Other  than sunscreen, retin A and  great moisturizers I dont think there are any magic potions out there!

Honored Contributor

SPF, Retin A, and I also like Paula's Choice BHA products

I am in my 50s, and I started using a daily SPF moisturizer on my face when I was in high school. It was the original Olay product at that time, and my aunt, who lived with us, encouraged me to share her bottle. I have been using Paula's BHAs for 10 years, and I have been using Retin A for about 5 years.  I am sure that my oily skin has helped my face stay younger looking too. Everyone is different so finding the products that work for you may be different. For example, even though Vitamin C products are beneficial, they make me break out in tiny little bumps so I avoid them. 

Super Contributor

retin a

sunscreen

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't think anything you buy  in a jar or tube is going to prevent aging.   There are some cosmetic products that may give a temporary smoothing or lift ... but that's about it.   When the effects wear off - you are back where you started.

Unfortunately, yes.  I've noticed it's about what kind of sun protection you've used, and your genes.  All we can do after that is find products that give our skin the appearance of smoothness.  A good subject was posted here not long ago about the differences we see in our face depending on the mirror we use.  Try looking in the car mirrors and see what you think.  Yikes.  I now avoid doing that.  My makeup mirror is so much more kind.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I bought 15X magnification mirror. What was I thinking??!!Woman SurprisedWoman EmbarassedWoman LOL