Trusted Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman Secure vs other meal replacements

@Lipstickdiva Regarding carageenan, I definitely don't believe the FDA is always right (and of course new things are always being learned). However, I sensed at least some fear-mongering on the other side. So, I just don't know how safe I feel it is. Nor do I know how it compares with other ingredients that could replace it and provide the same characteristics.

This site offers a pretty good list of the things we need to consider when evaluating what we read. (And, no I can't follow the linked research document all that well!)

http://www.foodsciencematters.com/research-references/

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 I may need to go take a look later. If I'm remembering correctly, what I heard was on a video Q&A. I pretty sure it was tied to HSN, so he would have had to word things carefully.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juperier wrote:

@Ibby114 I may need to go take a look later. If I'm remembering correctly, what I heard was on a video Q&A. I pretty sure it was tied to HSN, so he would have had to word things carefully.

His blog website had a video as well as written blogs- it might have been the same excerpt from hsn. EIther way, it was over 7 years ago!  I feel like calling into hsn when he's on air next time!

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 It's more than just that it gets "too sweet." Past a certain point, the taste turns really nasty. I'm guessing it would reach that point sooner for some people. Trying to get it right for a product with a broad user base might be difficult for that reason alone.

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 They stopped taking calls on his shows several years ago. I assume for that very reason. I've followed him off and on since way back when he was on this channel. I feel comfortable that his knowledge far exceeds what he could "legally" say on air. He's been "ahead of the curve" on many things. He has so much passion for what he does that I'm sure it would be hard respond to some questions live without crossing a legal limitation here and there. Plus I remember callers making all sorts of claims that could cause legal issues.

Trusted Contributor

I think the bottom line is that we each have our own combination of things we are looking for and/or want to avoid. And that's after the obvious such as one person having issues with soy, while someone else can't use milk products.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juperier wrote:

I think the bottom line is that we each have our own combination of things we are looking for and/or want to avoid. And that's after the obvious such as one person having issues with soy, while someone else can't use milk products.

@juperierThat sums it up perfectly, well said!

I also remember Andrew  being on qvc way back when- he's barely aged! Healthy living make such a difference.

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@FLGators wrote:

Secure is not filling, low in protein and it has soy. Not sure why its touted as a meal replacement. It is just a Vitamin drink at best unless you add it to your smoothie.

Hope Andrew comes up with a non diary protein drink or meal replacement. There is plenty of demand from a trusted source like him.

@FLGators

Perhaps because you can replace a meal with it?

Just because you don't like it or it doesn't satisfy  you doesn't mean others aren't getting benefits from it.

Is there a requirement that a SINGLE meal replacement contain a FULL DAY'S protein? I find it's a well balanced source of your daily requirements of vitamins, minerals and fiber and as someone with kidney failure the lower protein is perfect!

This was not addressed to you or anyone in particular. I stated my opinion and I stick to it. People are entitiled to their opinion & do not always have to agree with you. Since this is a public board, I thought all opinions were welcome.  

Valued Contributor

Well, sorry to say I got this home and after three days of drinking Secure, this is going back.  I never even thought of it but I can't take artificial sweetners.  I know when I drink anything with aspartame or any artificial sweetner I get a headache.   For three days now I have had a headache and my teeth ache, which is what I have when I have anything with an artificial sweetner.  Not to mention I just can't get over the taste.  So, anyway, I am still going to cut back and look for alternatives, this just didn't work for me. Thanks to all who gave their suggestions, I really appreciate the responses!!!!      Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BetsyDoodle
I agree with you on the taste; I found it to be just 'meh' but then I only tried the chocolate. I don't have the issues with the artificial sweeteners that you do so it served its purpose for me. It's pricey too. To be totally honest I learn a lot from Andrew and then take what I've learned from him and find comparable products for a lot less money.