Honored Contributor

Re: Activated charcoal for teeth whitening?

[ Edited ]

I tried this using charcoal powder I bought for making face masks. I wet my toothbrush, dipped it in the charcoal powder and added a smidgen of toothpaste. I brushed for three minutes. There was no weird taste at all...just a little gritty. My teeth are super sensitive and I have to use sensitive teeth toothpaste. The charcoal did not affect my sensitivity whatsoever. Since my teeth are pretty white already, I can't really see any difference yet. I'm going to continue doing this and hopefully see more whitening.Woman Happy

It is messy so I did this in my stainless steel kitchen sink. My white bathroom sink would have been blackened and I would have had to clean it right away. At least the steel sink didn't look that bad afterwards.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I tried this using charcoal powder I bought for making face masks. I wet my toothbrush, dipped it in the charcoal powder and added a smidgen of toothpaste. I brushed for three minutes. There was no weird taste at all...just a little gritty. My teeth are super sensitive and I have to use sensitive teeth toothpaste. The charcoal did not affect my sensitivity whatsoever. Since my teeth are pretty white already, I can't really see any difference yet. I'm going to continue doing this and hopefully see more whitening.Woman Happy

It is messy so I did this in my stainless steel kitchen sink. My white bathroom sink would have been blackened and I would have had to clean it right away. At least the steel sink didn't look that bad afterwards.

I have very sensitive teeth and can't use any type of whitening products....dentist told me to forget about it.  Well now I see this topic...hmmm....I hope you ladies who are testing this out report back on results....would love to whiten my teeth but can't handle any sensitivity issues.  Silleemee  what do you use to keep your teeth white and not have sensitivity?  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

I have very sensitive teeth and can't use any type of whitening products....dentist told me to forget about it.  Well now I see this topic...hmmm....I hope you ladies who are testing this out report back on results....would love to whiten my teeth but can't handle any sensitivity issues.  Silleemee  what do you use to keep your teeth white and not have sensitivity?  

@tsavorite,

I've been using the Smileactives Advanced Pens. I don't get sensitive with these but they do take some time to see results using it 2-3 times a day. I also use the Intelliwhite Pro Pens from hsn but these are strong and I have to limit leaving the gel on my teeth for no longer than ten minutes and rinse about ten times to get rid of any lingering gel...sometimes a little sensitivity persists but not bad. I do the Intelliwhite only three days in a row, once a month. If I do it more then my teeth hurt. 

HTHWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

No difference so far for me. My co-worker took a "before" picture on Tuesday. I'm giving it a week (since the guy said I'd see a difference in 2 to 3 days) so I'll let you all know on Tuesday.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@tsavorite,

I've been using the Smileactives Advanced Pens. I don't get sensitive with these but they do take some time to see results using it 2-3 times a day. I also use the Intelliwhite Pro Pens from hsn but these are strong and I have to limit leaving the gel on my teeth for no longer than ten minutes and rinse about ten times to get rid of any lingering gel...sometimes a little sensitivity persists but not bad. I do the Intelliwhite only three days in a row, once a month. If I do it more then my teeth hurt. 

HTHWoman Happy

Thank you for sharing this....I tried those Intelliwhite Pro Pens from HSN before and couldn't handle them at all....my teeth trobbed....returned them.  I have not tried the ones here on Q....I will look into this next.  Thanks for sharing!

Occasional Contributor

Just tried it. All natural. No sensitivity or side effects. Very effective . Cheap. Sold!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

another question about the activated charcoal....what is in it that supposedly whitens teeth? or does it work by being abrasive to the enamel thus removing stains??  I know for me with my enamel already thin wouldn't be good.

Ok...just read online some...I don't think it's for me at all...gonna pass this trend by!

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

No difference so far for me. My co-worker took a "before" picture on Tuesday. I'm giving it a week (since the guy said I'd see a difference in 2 to 3 days) so I'll let you all know on Tuesday.

UPDATE:

One week later - no difference!  I'm going to save myself the mess and the hassle and just use this goop on my face (the guy said it doubled as a face mask... lol)