Honored Contributor

AT THE HAIRSTYLIST YESTERDAY AND........

[ Edited ]

I had a one inch trim on my one length bob....she has to cut it curly and then straightens it to check the lines.

She looked at the all white color and said..."Lets do some low lights!" Well, we talked about it, she explained the color was the getting the same as my skin tone and she'd like to see some dark added. She did it as tiny foils in the under layers and not at my part line, so no growout horrors. I love it. It gave dimension and I'll need less blush and lipcolor to bring back life to my face. 

She matched the few dark brown strands left at my neck line that had not turned silver yet. DH loved it and I sent a pic to my granddaughters (now 12 and 15 who have definiten opinions on "beauty) and they loved it, too.

She finished the process by blowing it out straight...a piece of cake with a smoothing cream and a drop of oil for heat protection. I haven't seen where the datrker color shows up when my hair is styled to be curly. Wash day will be Monday night...keep ya'll posted.

Anyone get low lights instead of highlights?

Trusted Contributor

Re: AT THE HAIRSTYLIST YESTERDAY AND........

I have a Bonnie Raitt kinda gray streak, so haven't tried hi or lo-lights.

I'll bet your hair looks gorgeous! Wish I could see it!

I have a lot of natural curl in my hair, so they have to trim it quick, before the curl sets in, LOL!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I had a one inch trim on my one length bob....she has to cut it curly and then straightens it to check the lines.

She looked at the all white color and said..."Lets do some low lights!" Well, we talked about it, she explained the color was the getting the same as my skin tone and she'd like to see some dark added. She did it as tiny foils in the under layers and not at my part line, so no growout horrors. I love it. It gave dimension and I'll need less blush and lipcolor to bring back life to my face. 

She matched the few dark brown strands left at my neck line that had not turned silver yet. DH loved it and I sent a pic to my granddaughters (now 12 and 15 who have definiten opinions on "beauty) and they loved it, too.

She finished the process by blowing it out straight...a piece of cake with a smoothing cream and a drop of oil for heat protection. I haven't seen where the datrker color shows up when my hair is styled to be curly. Wash day will be Monday night...keep ya'll posted.

Anyone get low lights instead of highlights?

I am still getting ash highlights to gray my hair.  It is surprising how many people compliment on my hair when I wear it down (I wear it up alot - its waist length). I am wondering if I need the ash highlights since it looks like my hair color evolution is almost complete.  

Now I have friends who hair has turned white and they get the low-lights and its beautiful.  It gives a different dimension all together.  

Valued Contributor

So glad you’re pleased with your low-lights @Shanus. It’s great when you leave the salon happy, isn’t it?! I also got low-lights several years ago for the same reason. It was at my request, because I am naturally a medium to dark brown, but had been getting highlights for such a long time that I almost looked like a blonde, which was not flattering with my skin tone. Once I got the low-lights, my hair definitely looked more balanced and natural for me.
Respected Contributor

Many years ago, in my 20's, On occassion would have low lights done when my hair was looking too "washed out" from just highlighting,.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Hi Shanus. WOW, that sounds amazing! I can only picture how gorgeous you look. I have low lights done (I also have a chin length Bob). Highlights tended to frizz and dry my hair out. I haven't had highlights in 20 years and find low lights add more dimension, soft color and luster to the hair! Enjoy your new do! 💖

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus    You're hair sounds beautiful!💝

My best friend who was a natural light blonde used to always get lowlights in her hair.  Mine is more of a dirty blonde/light brown so I still get highlights.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - I bet you look fabulous!

Honored Contributor

Hi Ladies: I walked passed the mirror this morning and was a bit "Who is that?" I'll get used to the sparsely placed darker tones in a few days. After being so silver/white, it's a change, for sure, but I do like it.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like your stylist has a keen eye and knows what she's doing. It sounds like a beautiful update to your look. I have had lowlights added years ago when I was bleaching my hair. It gave it dimension.