Honored Contributor

Re: ABC News 20/20 Doing a Department Store vs. Drugstore makeup Challenge

you can achieve any makeup look if you have the right palette for your skin tone; it is not necessary to spend $65 for a lipstick but some say they will never use drugstore products. lots of women think the more they spend, the better the result will be.

That is so not true! The only eyeliner pencil I have found that stays on till I take it off is $2.99.....wish I'd found it before spending $30 for years on one from the dept. store that did not have the staying power I needed.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 ccassaday said:
On 9/11/2014 Madisson said:

I think the twin on the left looks better...just more glow to her face and a much better color lipstick. She has too much eye liner on though.

Sure, if we had a makeup artist apply our makeup, we could look great initially also. However, 4 hours later the drugstore makeup will start to fade, run, and crease.

That is not true. My drugstore makeup never does that.

I agree!

You would be surprised what make-up artists in the television industry use. Lots of their go-to products are drugstore items. They can use anything they want, and very often that's what they choose. I see it every day.

Kiss

Honored Contributor

just like with your prestige brands there are drugstore brands, as you call them, of varying quality. there are inexpensive cosmetics that perform ie, stay on all day, good pigment, and no animal testing. I have prestige brands in my arsenal that don't perform like the inexpensive one! seek and ye shall find. I have both ends of the spectrum sitting on my counter
Valued Contributor

I like the idea of this show. Being 60 I know that when you are the age of these models almost anything looks good whether DS or Dept store. But I've found that when you are older you have to search for skin care and makeup that work. So even though I would watch I would not take their advice to seriously. Most of my products come from ShopHQ.
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a compelling 20/20 segment. Can't wait to see it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 lovesrecess said:

you can achieve any makeup look if you have the right palette for your skin tone; it is not necessary to spend $65 for a lipstick but some say they will never use drugstore products. lots of women think the more they spend, the better the result will be.

That is so not true! The only eyeliner pencil I have found that stays on till I take it off is $2.99.....wish I'd found it before spending $30 for years on one from the dept. store that did not have the staying power I needed.

I do agree that anyone can get any look you want - even from dollar store cosmetics - BUT - it is how it feels on you skin, how it looks after several hours of wear, and how they react with anyone's skin after long term use.

It might be about some thinking the more they spend the better the result will be but for many like me it's about what using cheaper products that don't use pure ingredients as they often use the bottom of the barrel product (which may be the same as the more expensive products) which contains more contaminants - thus not as good for your skin. They also can be manufactured with maybe the same ingredients but a less pure quality and even if the best quality, not in the same strength as the higher end ones so the results won't be as good for many. I am not saying that some do not get great results from drugstore products and they are not good products for some - just that there are many like me that have had problems in the past because using cheaper cosmetics/skincare in the long term and they had caused my skin to become red, scaly, blotchy, itchy and dry which is not a great look. That being said, I do use many drugstore mascaras (especially Maybelline), lip products and Almay eye makeup remover so it's not about being snobby about this!!

While I won't pay several hundreds of dollars for a handbag just to carry stuff in, I will pay for makeup/skincare as that is going on my body and it matters to me.

We are all different and there is no right or wrong on this subject. What is good for many is not good for all.

Super Contributor

On 9/11/2014 ccassaday said:
On 9/11/2014 Madisson said:

I think the twin on the left looks better...just more glow to her face and a much better color lipstick. She has too much eye liner on though.

Sure, if we had a makeup artist apply our makeup, we could look great initially also. However, 4 hours later the drugstore makeup will start to fade, run, and crease.

That is not true. My drugstore makeup never does that.

Just because yours doesn't, it doesn't mean some of them don't. I have had that problem many times with drugstore makeup. Some of the brands they carry start creasing and running 2 hours after I apply them. I have oily skin though. The drugstores carry the same makeup that the big box stores carry. I never have problems with department store makeup.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

On 9/11/2014 moonstone dunes said:

Only one example of twins and they are very young? Why no additional women at least 40ish?

My guess is the twin with the loud lipstick is wearing the dept. store makeup.

The purple lipstick? She is my guess for department store makeup too. They might have applied that color to throw us off though. Her lighting isn't as good either. The other twin "glows" more, has better lighting, and far better-colored lipstick.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much. This should be a fun program and interesting results.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Darn, I feel asleep and missed the show! Did anyone watch? Which twin was wearing what?

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien