Trusted Contributor

A Beautypedia recommendation that works for me

So when I'm looking to try a different brand in a product that I need, I go to Paula's recommendations in Beautypedia. I know that we won't like everything, but for me, I find that most of the time I'm happy with my choices. Was almost out of make-up wipes,  and found a good drugstore recommendation for Olay's sensitive wipes that have a regular side & an exfoliating side. And I ended up buying the Wal-mart dup for this brand, so I save a couple bucks. I'm really loving the exfoliating part of this wipe for me. I don't have especially sensitive skin, but my skin is dry, and I find that these wipes do a great job for me. I have set up my Beautypedia for "My Favorites", and I put only drugstore brands that have high ratings in there. 

Regular Contributor

Re: A Beautypedia recommendation that works for me

Thanks for sharing. I like to use Beautypedia to talk myself out of purchases. Once I read the reviews and ingredients I usually get over my urge to buy the product.

Contributor

who does the beautypedia?

Trusted Contributor

@rubylulu wrote:

who does the beautypedia?

@rubylulu, Paula Begoun. If you go to Paula's Choice's website, at the top you'll see the little icon for Beautypedia. She originally came out with Beautipedia before she developed her own product line. Her product line has now been sold but there is still a relationship between the two.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

@MissSugarKane, I do the exact same thing. Once she points out the negative of a product then I am convinced not to buy it.

Respected Contributor

what a great idea.  i'll have to try that.  thanks for the recommendation!

Contributor

thank you

Honored Contributor

@MissSugarKane wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I like to use Beautypedia to talk myself out of purchases. Once I read the reviews and ingredients I usually get over my urge to buy the product.

I've done this at times! I won't discount a product that she might mention something that could bother some people, like the scent of something, but if it is an ingredient that causes damage or inflammation/irritation (either visible or at the cellular level) or anything negative in that type of way and not just a personal preference, I will not buy it. But the opposite has been true too- I've tried things rated highly that just didn't work out for me, some of them were her things. Like I don't really like most of her serums because they are just way too slippery feeling due to silicones and although I am not bothered by silicones in general, I don't really like that super slippery feeling they sometimes produce. It is one reason I do not like Laura Geller's spackles.

Regular Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MissSugarKane wrote:

I've done this at times! I won't discount a product that she might mention something that could bother some people, like the scent of something, but if it is an ingredient that causes damage or inflammation/irritation (either visible or at the cellular level) or anything negative in that type of way and not just a personal preference, I will not buy it. But the opposite has been true too- I've tried things rated highly that just didn't work out for me, some of them were her things. Like I don't really like most of her serums because they are just way too slippery feeling due to silicones and although I am not bothered by silicones in general, I don't really like that super slippery feeling they sometimes produce. It is one reason I do not like Laura Geller's spackles.

I am the same way. All it takes is a trip to beautypedia to see that a product has something like lavender oil and I can immediately cross it off my list. I don't like the silicones in Paula's serums either because I feel like they clog my pores. I think I am going to try the new Calm serum because it doesn't look loaded with them.

Honored Contributor

@MissSugarKane wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MissSugarKane wrote:

I am the same way. All it takes is a trip to beautypedia to see that a product has something like lavender oil and I can immediately cross it off my list. I don't like the silicones in Paula's serums either because I feel like they clog my pores. I think I am going to try the new Calm serum because it doesn't look loaded with them.

Hi, @MissSugarKane. The key word in the above sentence that I bolded is "feel." Silicones have many attributes, one of which is texture (slip). So that tends to make us think that it is somehow clogging our pores or suffocating our skin.

Some people just don't like that feel, but nothing could be further than the truth regarding clogging and suffocation. From Beautypedia (but can be found elsewhere):

Claims that silicones in any form cause or worsen acne have not been substantiated in published research, nor have reports that silicones are irritating to or “suffocate” skin. Almost all of these claims are either myths or based on anecdotal evidence, which isn’t the best way to determine the safety or efficacy of any cosmetic ingredient. How do we know that silicones don’t suffocate skin? Because of their molecular properties they are at the same time porous and resistant to air. Think of silicones in a skincare formula like the covering of a tea bag. When you steep the tea bag in water the tea and all of its antioxidant properties are released.

Silicones remain on the surface of your skin and the other ingredients it’s mixed with “steep” through. All ingredients must be suspended in some base formula; some of the ingredients remain on the surface, some are absorbed. The intent is for the “actives” to get through. Think of how many topical medications are suspended in petrolatum or mineral oil and the active ingredients absolutely get through, and petrolatum is far more effective at preventing moisture loss than silicones are.

Moreover, the molecular structure of commonly used silicones makes it impossible for them to suffocate skin (not to mention skin doesn’t breathe). The unique molecular structure of silicones (large molecules with wide spaces between each molecule) allows them to form a permeable barrier and also explains why silicones rarely feel heavy or occlusive, although they offer protection against moisture loss. [2]

Interestingly, silicone has been shown to be helpful for offsetting dryness and flaking from common anti-acne active ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide and topical antibiotics. [3] Also, silicones are sometimes used as fillers to improve the appearance of acne scars, which certainly wouldn’t be the case if silicone were a pore-clogging ingredient. [4] Perhaps the most telling reason why silicones do not clog pores and cause acne (or blackheads) is because, from a chemistry standpoint, most silicones are volatile. That means their initially viscous (thick) texture evaporates quickly and does not penetrate the pore lining where acne is formed. Instead, they help ensure the even application of other ingredients and leave behind a silky, almost imperceptible feel that noticeably enhances skin’s texture and appearance—without irritation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland