Frequent Contributor

Re: 8 Ways Gloria Steinem Improved Our Lives

On 3/29/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 3/28/2015 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 3/28/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/28/2015 momcat said:

Curiosity made me open this post, and I wish I hadn't. I truly can't stand this woman.

May I ask why? I know that you are very politically conservative, but certainly you must favor equality and advancement for women.

I don't know where to start as a conservative woman. The misconceptions abound. Conservative does not mean wimp, weakness or any other negative word along those lines. One of the many reasons I lean this way is because we say you are woman, let's hear you roar. If a woman doesn't negotiate a good salary, that's on her. You want to be prosperous, then you follow the rules to get there and don't ask the government to fund your promiscuity. Put on your big-girl panties ladies and stop blaming someone else. I don't know a single woman on my side that doesn't have the ability to stand up for herself, her family, and her community. Not a stepford wife in the bunch. Would I have a problem with a husband representing the family? Not for a second.

Ditto. Glad to see some like minds.

ditto for me too. well said

Contributor

OMG "" don't ask the government to fund your promiscuity"" what on Earth does that even mean and how does this have any relevance at all? I seriously want to hear a reasonable explanation.

Frequent Contributor

On 3/29/2015 newshound6 said:

OMG "" don't ask the government to fund your promiscuity"" what on Earth does that even mean and how does this have any relevance at all? I seriously want to hear a reasonable explanation.

Obamacare's provision for funding birth control. Obviously you think this is reasonable while others do not.

Super Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Reever said: I just believe the institution of marriage prevents women from attaining their true potential. I think Gloria Steinem embellished the idea that a woman could do anything a man can and often better.

How sad that you feel that way. Marriage doesn't prevent women from anything. Quite the contrary, marriage uplifts, and supports. The real sadness in this is that some feel that it's a competition, a power struggle between men and women, and a woman should always seek to make herself superior to a man. I quite enjoy a loving companionship with my husband and realize I'm better at some things while he's better at others.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2015 cammybee said:

Obamacare's provision for funding birth control. Obviously you think this is reasonable while others do not.

Many women use birth control for numerous health reasons. That's like saying that health insurance shouldn't fund diabetes medications because some people refuse to exercise and eat junk food all day. Perhaps they should stop funding care for lung cancer and bladder cancer because it can be caused by smoking.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Reever said: I just feel men take, take and take without giving anything to a relationship. I hate to generalize but the majority of men I've met have no interest in women as equals. They use marriage to attain a second mother instead of a partner. I'll never do it again.

You have to ask whether the problem is the men, or after awhile it the problem of the woman, who doesn't have the ability to choose a man that is compatible to her needs.

In this whole big world, especially today with all the technology making it closer than ever, when people can't seem to connect with others in any given type of relationship, I think the problem lies within themselves.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 cammybee said:

OMG " don't ask the government to fund your promiscuity" what on Earth does that even mean and how does this have any relevance at all? I seriously want to hear a reasonable explanation.

Birth control equals promiscuity? Sometimes I wonder what century people are living in.

BTW, my employee group health insurance always covered birth control. It's a women's health issue and as such should be covered.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 3/29/2015 guatmum said:

To generalize about working mothers v SAHMs is silly and demonstrates a lack of experience with a large and varied population. How children grow up isn't dependent on how many warm bodies are at home; it's dependent on stability, love, and good role modeling. As a teacher, I've seen great kids, utter brats, and neglected kids come from households where there is a SAHM. I've seen the same from households with working mothers and, in fact, the same from households with single mothers. Through 25+ years, I've learned that SAH v working v married v single has nothing to do with how a child turns out and therefore has nothing to do with the "impact" that that family has on society.

Excellent points!

To blame single working mothers for the "downfall of society" is just another way to marginalize women. Women have been raising children alone or virtually alone for time immemorial. Men went off to war, worked 12 to 16 hours per day and traveled extensively. they were not heavily involved with raising children. In many cases the women had to work to make ends meet.

The June Cleaver idea of a mother was TV fiction.

Gloria helped women understand they were not chattel and they could make choices in how to live their lives. Choices that didn't necessarily have to mirror a fictionalized idea of what a good wife and mother had to be.

And that is what it is about, choices. I don't know anyone who shames a stay at home mom, if that's her choice. It should also be a woman's choice to have a career.

Lot's of women, even back then, had to work, there was no choice. Widows, military wives, etc.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Contributor

Birth control=promiscuity is one of the archaic attitudes that has been used to control and influence women on the most basic human level-there is no male equivalent to this paradigm.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 K9buddy said:
On 3/29/2015 sparklestar said:
On 3/28/2015 K9buddy said:
On 3/28/2015 sparklestar said:
On 3/28/2015 Reever said: I do think that not having mothers stay at home anymore has impacted our society negatively. I feel blessed I was raised by a stay at home mom.

You can't generalize that situation. Not every child who had a stay at home mom was raised in a loving, caring, and nurturing atmosphere.

Actually, she can generalize any situation she wants. Feel free to disagree with her if you want, but it's not your place to tell her what she can and can't do.

Back at it again? What happened -- gave up on SuzyQ and you're going to start on me again.

And it's not YOUR place to tell me what I can and can't do. Practice what you preach.

Oh wait......as I recall, you called me out on that thread as being someone who she should look out for. Unfortunately, that thread was deleted by the moderator due to your nasty comment about me.

I didn't say one nasty thing. It was deleted because of you ... as most of your's are. The moderators are watching you.