Honored Contributor

Re: 8 Surprising Uses For Dry Shampoo

[ Edited ]

@SnowKita wrote:
Haven't found a dry shampoo that I can stand the scent. Thought I had a couple different times, but no.

Maybe you haven't tried searching the ways I did for you below...

Check out these two links and the articles/reviews/mentions listed:

At the very least, Amazon and Ebay have some. :smileyhappy:  Just put in the two search terms in boldface above.  

Honored Contributor

@deja vu wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

8 Surprising Uses for Dry Shampoo

3/3/2014   GH.com  via Cosmo.com

Dry shampoo doesn't just sop up oil and give you irresistible second-day hair.   Celeb hairstylist Mark Townsend tells us what other useful things it can do.

1. It keeps your curls from clumping together.
Keep your curls exciting, rather than uniform, by spraying a starch-based dry shampoo all over your hair after you curl it.
The starch coats your hair and makes it dry and matte, covering your hair's natural oils so your curls don't intertwine.

2. It boosts volume.
"I usually tell my clients to flip their head upside down, since the gravity will help increase the volume as you add in the dry shampoo," says Townsend. After that, make sure to concentrate the dry shampoo at your roots first, and then finish by spraying it all over to add some texture and volume all around.

3. It helps make your hair stay put when you backcomb.
"Anytime I'm creating an updo that involves backcombing, I always spray dry shampoo on the section, and then backcomb it to help lock in the tease," Townsend says. "It just holds so much better that way."

4. It adds grip to bobby pins.
To keep bobby pins from slipping out of your hair when you're doing an updo, spray them all over with dry shampoo to give them some grip first. Townsend uses this trick on celebs to ensure their hair stays in place.

5. It adds a subtle hold to your hair.
Dry shampoo offers a little hold, but unlike hairspray, it won't leave you with helmet hair of any kind. It gives you that touchable feel that you can still runs your hair through.

6. It keeps your bangs from sticking to your forehead.
Spraying it under your bangs will keep them from sticking to the oil on your forehead. You don't need to spray dry shampoo all over your bangs — just underneath.

7. It can help you change up your style.
If you wear a slicked-back style one day and want your hair to look windblown the next day, spray dry shampoo all over your hair and then brush it through with a paddle brush. You need to work the products out of your hair that slicked it back initially, and the dry shampoo will help reverse your hair texture.

8. It can help conceal dark roots if you dye your hair blonde.
If you're trying to cover up dark regrowth, go for a powder dry shampoo instead of a starch-y one; the formula works better to hide your roots.

:cattongue:

And speaking of boosting volume at the crown of your head, two well-known hairstylists say:

A lasting boost and serious elevation require some time commitment and skill.  

Enter:  teasing.

Before you begin, make sure hair is completely dry and de-knotted.

Now, use a fine-tooth comb, a tail comb, or a teasing comb to separate a section of hair at the front; clip it to the side.

Take a section at the crown area and hold it straight up.  

The next step is crucial because teasing hair the wrong way (by starting at the ends) and then moving the comb up and down will tangle the hair;  a total nightmare to comb out.

To avoid damage, start at the mid-shaft and push the comb down to the roots.

Pull the comb out and, starting from the mid-shaft, backcomb again.

Finally, comb the swept-aside section over the teased bump for a voluminous lift.

:catvery-happy:

I'm really into using dry shampoo's ...love these tips, hope more will be added !

Right now I like Tweak-d, Volume XL and Dry Shampoo. Smells like vanilla when you are using it but the scent fades quickly.

Great, DV!

And as far as more unique uses for dry shampoo, maybe others will come across them, Google them, and/or have their own, and then will post them here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Adelina wrote:

@SnowKita wrote:
Haven't found a dry shampoo that I can stand the scent. Thought I had a couple different times, but no.

Same with me. Does anyone have recommendations? Some also contain alcohol, so alcohol-free recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

Oh, and thanks for the info, feline groovy!

You're most welcome, Adelina (pretty nic!). :cathappy:

Here's the world's recomendations (heh), plus a few that match your wishlist:

Can't promise that you'll find any you'll want to try, but at least it's something  in case you don't get any recc's here.

Frequent Contributor

Unite makes a really nice dry shampoo but it is rather expensive.  My stylist said I was using too much and the bottle would last longer if I wasn't so heavy handed LOL! 

Honored Contributor

For more posters to view in case they're interested...  ;-)

interested_cat.jpg (500×375)

Honored Contributor

And just in case...

Honored Contributor

In case others are interested...

Super Contributor

Great tips!!Heart 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks FG.  I just started using dry shampoo.  I had tried it in the past but didn't like it.  I bought from Amazon, "Klorane w/Oat Milk".  It works well.  Thx for the tips!  ☺️