Honored Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies and Everyone~Please Join Us For The New Year!

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom, thanks. I was thinking it was to deter squirrels or rodents. I didn't think birds because of the cayenne, but if they can't taste it, what a treat! Funny, I've never heard of it or seen it before.😉 I agree, would be lots of fun to watch!

~H~
Respected Contributor

Good Morning!  Well, I was up at 5:30 am today!!! DH usually gets up at 5 am but since he's retiring in April he's been sleeping in until 5:30.  Well, I told him he had to get up at 5 on the days I work since I get up at 5:30.  I like my own "bathroom space"!!!!!!  Our annual party is tonight, we always have our party after Xmas since we're so busy during the Xmas holiday season.  It's also a goodbye party for my boss as tomorrow is his last day.  They are calling for possible snow though at some point and if starts to snow in the afternoon, I'll be going home and not staying for the party.  I don't live that far away but if it hits at rush hour, it will be a mess.  Wish me luck!!!  Oh, today is DD's 27th birthday!  When DS was home over the Xmas holiday I asked her if she wanted to go out for her birthday but she said our dinner out together at the Fish Market last week could count.  She scheduled to move to her new apartment on January 14, weather permitting.  

Respected Contributor

Helen47--Yes, the house does look so different without the decorations.  I don't put up as much as I used to but it's the tree that takes the time to dismantle and get all the ornaments in their boxes.  If we didn't put a tree it wouldn't take much time.  Well, DH was told me today that his retirement papers have to be mailed by snail mail to Kansas!  Oh, so glad he's starting this process now for April 1!!!  You mentioned that the manager at the hospital wants you to switch to ER and/or surgery with possible night work.  That's a big decision and I'm sure you'll think it over and do what's right for you.  I'm only requiured to do 5 events per year that are in the evening.  Any other night events we do we're asked and I've been doing less & less as time goes on.

Actually I have been looking into some volunteer opportunties as I start to work less & less, we'll see how it goes.  I know I have to do something to get out of the house on a regular basis, even if it's only once a week.   

Respected Contributor

Justjazzmom--Does that bird feeder deter any woodpeckers from doing damage to your house?  We've lived in our house for almost 30 years and the past two years we've started to have a woodpecker problem, pecking on our house, what little wood we have on it.  Anyway, I don't know what this is happening but it's getting frustrating.  

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle,  I am now using the Pre-Infusion mode all the time.  My coffee is delicious.  I must say this is the best cup of coffee I have ever had from a home coffeemaker.  Thanks for sharing.  Enjoy your morning coffee and have a good day.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

HI EVERYONE

Yesterday was my first day back volunteering at the hospital.  I work in HR on Wednesdays and at the Wellness center on Fridays.  It seems I have settled into working at HR.  Everyone was glad to see me yesterday and asked me about my holiday.  The ladies are very nice.  So, for now I think HR is my "nitch" so to speak.  The Wellness Center is okay, but a little too quiet for me. I like to stay pretty busy.  I wouldn't mind volunteering at the front desk or another part of the hospital where you are involved with people more.  I go to the dentist this morning for my 6 month check up.  I dread going to the dentist.  Thank goodness I don't have anything to get pulled or to be filled. LOL

We still have our decorations up, but we will probably take them down this weekend.  I'm with everyone else, it's a lot of work to put everything away and the house always looks so bare after they are put away.

@Hayfield  I am curious too about a woodpecker deterrent.  We have had problems with woodpeckers in the past pecking on our house and it is frustrating!

Everyone have a great day and I'll be back later to see how everyone is doing.......Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

Justjazzmom--Does that bird feeder deter any woodpeckers from doing damage to your house?  We've lived in our house for almost 30 years and the past two years we've started to have a woodpecker problem, pecking on our house, what little wood we have on it.  Anyway, I don't know what this is happening but it's getting frustrating.  

Two reasons the woodpeckers are doing this -- looking for a mate -- the sound attracts females and looking for any insects.

Deterents? Vinyl siding over those areas or if it's a gutter area -- hang maybe an old CD with fishing line -- the twirling reflection stops them from going near the wood.

Every year had same male woodpecker landing on patio roof and pecking on the aluminum gutter -- only in spring time.  Googled the behavior and one article said -- mating ritual. 

Have you had your house checked for carpenter ants? These insects nest inside damp wood. And anytime anyone sees these insects such as indoors, then there is a moisture problem -- leaky roof which should be repaired and then locate the abodes of these ants and change out the wood.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen47 wrote:

@JustJazzmom, thanks. I was thinking it was to deter squirrels or rodents. I didn't think birds because of the cayenne, but if they can't taste it, what a treat! Funny, I've never heard of it or seen it before.😉 I agree, would be lots of fun to watch!

This is what my feeder looks like -- I purchased mine years ago from an Agway.

https://www.wildaboutbirds.com/shop/suet-sized-upside-down-feeder?gclid=CP7Dh5usq9ECFRxMDQodnokN0g

Generally this is what you find in most stores --

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning, today is make appointment day and visit a Sephora to wander around. I saw on their website Lancôme has a travel set of their Drama Liqui-Pencils which are similar to the Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencils in terms of softness of application to the lids. These like the UD ones do not require a heavy hand to press down to draw a line or pull across the lids like so many other liner pencils.

We have the rest of the Bolognese sauce with the farfalle (bow ties) pasta. I usually make the pasta as we need it for the sauces. This and a salad will be dinner.

Sounds like everyone is settling in on 'return to work' mode. Enjoy the volunteer work, @katte & @Hayfield

Saw the funniest picture on FB the other day with the caption-- that first day back to work -- it had a picture of a bug eyed owl! One wag remarked-- at least it's eyes are open! LOL

Have a great day everyone!

Honored Contributor

@SleeplessinSD@JustJazzmom@katte@Katcat1@Hayfield

Sounds like the DHs are feeling better? I hope so. Mine is dragging but that happens late in the day. So he has gotten by with only a touch of it.

Good news today: my regular doctor will look at my chest X-ray without seeing me! He will advise from there. I am so grateful... just so grateful.

My insurance situation is wonders until March -- wouldn't you know?

Have just caught up on all the New Years posts! What a wonderful group we have here! I'm grateful for this, too!

@SleeplessinSD

DD is excited about the book site! She had signed up before when they lived in Watsontown, so will renew.

Their bedtime routine, which they all cherish, starts off with a book. 

@Hayfield

They will enjoy having storytime in the "big bed" together! 

Today will just rest and more sleep. Temps here are 40 and falling.

Will bbl to address each post if my energy holds out.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~