Super Contributor

Re: 60's Ladies~We Hope You'll Join Us!

Hump Day greetings ...

Only can stay on-line for a little while as I have a sinus infection that's affecting my eyes. Good news is ... it's getting better; bad news is ... I have to curtail my computer time.

12 treatments down, 8 to go. Thanks to all for your support and good wishes. They help.

We're having fabulous weather in WNY. Of course, it will change back to winter most any time now, but I'll take 50 and blue skies anytime.

Am slowly reading thru your posts. Lots to digest.

Blessings,

Martie

Honored Contributor

image.jpeg

For @MartieHugs!!! 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Hello Friends,

It's a bright, sunny day today but it's only 20 degrees so the snow won't be melting.  DH spent about 5 hours outside plowing snow.  We have huge piles of snow 6 or 7 feet high!  I am going to get out of the house tomorrow.  I feel a little house bound.  Are any of you having Super Bowl parties?  What will you serve?  Our "party" will be just DH and me.  I really like to concentrate on the game and it is hard with a lot of people. I am going to make the dip that Helen posted a while back and I am not sure what else yet.  DH and I are going to decide tonight.  We will shop for food tomorrow.  It will be good to get out.

Katte, I am so impressed that you went to college at 50!  Your college and work experience are so interesting. You had a varied career.  I was a technical writer for aerospace companies before I went into tutoring and teaching.  I worked for Motorola in Scottsdale when we lived in Phoenxi for a few years.  I enjoyed all my careers.  Our dogs are our kids too. We spoil them.  When I told our vet once that we spoiled our dogs, he said that's what dogs are for!  You mentioned that your husband is a workaholic.  My DH was one too, and I have heard several other ladies on this thread say the same thing. I enjoy your posts.  I am glad you are part of our group.

Hayfield,  I have never had a facial but it sounds very relaxing.  I enjoyed reading about you and your family.  Your work history is so interesting.  Your new tour sounds fun. Is your rain storm over?

Loves,  I am pleased to hear that your DBIL is placed in a nursing facility and that he can have his treatment there.

Martie,  Only 8 treatments to go!  That is good news. Sure am sorry that you have a sinus infection.  Your weather sounds so pleasant.  Take care.

Hi to Helen, RetRN, Mocha and all our other friends.  Thinking of Kat.  Blessings! Heart

~ Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.~ French Proverb
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Early Evening Everyone!

I'm taking a break waiting for dinner to finish up. I put a roast in our crockpot this morning, and I've got some baked potatoes in the oven. It was another cool beautiful day. From what I've heard"Phil" did not see his shadow, so we'll have an early Spring. Yay! I'm ready!

@LTT1, yes, from what I know, hospitals want their beds as soon as they can have them. I do think it's good that your BIL has been transferred to a nursing facility where he can get constant good care. You'll all be in my thoughts that he does well and is comfortable during his treatments. ETA...I wanted to "double" heart your Johnny Depp photo!❤️❤️

@RetRN, So good hearing from you. I'll bet it's beautiful where you are and watching it snow. I'm glad you are indoors and not having to be out in it. Have a great week and stay warm!

@katte, I wish you could post a picture of Bailey and Blake (that's my DGS's name!). We are animal lovers too, especially dogs. I was fascinated reading all your life experiences. So interesting. I really admire you going back to school at 50. I'm so glad you've joined our group. 

@Hayfield, I can't remember the last time I went for a facial. I give myself masks often, but I think a good facial would be great. The dermatologist I go to has someone there that does them. They are very expensive, but maybe I'll treat myself. I sure hope we hear from KAT soon too. I just don't know what to think has happened to her, since it's been so long she's posted.

@MariotaMurielle, I think it's good news Daisy has put on a little weight. Sounds like everything else has stayed the same too. I know you and your DH are doing everything to make her days happy and comfortable. She knows she's loved....

@Fancy,  I'm so happy to see you stopped by. It sounds like things have settled down somewhat for you. Nothing like planning a wedding to take your mind off things, at least for a while. Im so very sorry to hear about your friends relapse and the prognosis. I'm glad your dear bf is by your side for support. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

@snardy, my sister is coming out this weekend for Super Bowl. We're having ribs, and she's making mac n cheese to go with. My daughter may come out. She's not sure. She hasn't seen her Aunt for a while. Our son will be here too...Go Broncos!

Well, my potatoes were done a few minutes ago, so I need to go and get dinner ready. Everyone have a nice and peaceful rest of the evening. I may stop by again later....

~H~
Honored Contributor

@MartieHugs wrote:

Hump Day greetings ...

Only can stay on-line for a little while as I have a sinus infection that's affecting my eyes. Good news is ... it's getting better; bad news is ... I have to curtail my computer time.

12 treatments down, 8 to go. Thanks to all for your support and good wishes. They help.

We're having fabulous weather in WNY. Of course, it will change back to winter most any time now, but I'll take 50 and blue skies anytime.

Am slowly reading thru your posts. Lots to digest.

Blessings,

Martie

@MartieHugs, I don't know how I missed your post. I'm sorry you're dealing with  a sinus infection now. So glad it's getting better; I can't imagine having to be off the internet for too long. 😉 We're counting down your eight treatments with you. I'm happy to hear the weather is better out your way; I'm sure it makes getting to your treatments easier.  Sending healing, happy thoughts your way....

~H~
Esteemed Contributor

good evening friends. it's been a beautiful spring-like day here today and much cooler than the last day or two since the storms blew through. there were a couple of tornadoes in south Mississippi yesterday that did quite a bit of damage and we got tons of rain and some high winds here.

I've started thinking about my spring garden already and trying to decide what to plant in April or May. last year I followed the Farmers Almanac recommendations and none of my plants really did very well. this spring I'm just going to follow my own instincts and plant when I think it's time.

I know I will plant tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and yellow squash. I'm thinking about maybe a zucchini plant and a couple of herbs too. my garden space is small and some things will be planted in large pots, so I have to plan strategically.

are any of you planning a garden? Helen, I remember how much you enjoyed your tomatoes.

one more month and I'll be 65. it seems so strange when I think about it. I feel like I'm 35 (most days) but then I look in the mirror. sometimes I think "who is that woman staring at me in the mirror"  Smiley Happy. I'm so relieved to have all those Medicare decisions over with.

most of you seem to have had varied and interesting careers. my career story is pretty plain and straightforward. my mother was an RN and it was always just sort of understood that I would be an RN too. I don't remember anyone ever asking me if that's what I wanted, and to be honest, I don't remember really ever thinking about doing anything else. so, straight out of high school I went to the University of Mississippi school of nursing, got my BSN and nursing is all I've ever done. at first I was just glad to have a profession that would enable me to support myself. I actually didn't see marriage in my future at the time. but later, I grew to love what I did and as it turns out, I'm grateful to have had a career where I could make a difference in the lives of people. I was fascinated with the field of nephrology and spent a total of about 32 of my 42 years in nursing working with patients who have chronic and acute kidney disease. kidneys are in my blood, as they say Smiley Happy

enough about me.

I'm sending warm hellos to all our dear friends here and healing prayers to those in need.

here's a Mississippi River sunset in Natchez.

have a peaceful evening, y'all.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Good Morning!  I'm working this morning, so I hope that everyone has a great day!  Yesterday I went to the gym, then just came home and got about 10 bags of clothes ready for AmVets to pick it up.  I hope they pick them up this time.  Last time they didn't pick them up and when I called, they made a note that they didn't see the bags.  Well, I told the woman that the person would've had to get out of the truck & walk up the driveway to see the bags, they were there.  There's a row of bushes along my sidewalk to my front door and from the street you can't see the stoop and you wouldn't see the bags from there.  I always put my bags out the night before, so I knew I didn't miss them in case they come really early in the morning.  I won't be home today to look for them, so I pray they pick them up.

Respected Contributor

Mochahoney--How nice that you followed in your mother's footsteps by becoming a nurse.  I never thought about what I wanted to do and I didn't like school, so I just got an office job when I graduated high school.  I've always envied people who know what they want and "go for it".  I agree with you, that you should plant your garden when you think the time is right!

Snardy--I love getting facials, very relaxing.  It helps keep my face clear, having large pores is a curse and a blessing.  My face is still oily and a pain to deal with but I don't have as many wrinkles as most people  my age.  I've tried all kinds of  makeup that says "won't clog pores" but my pores get clogged making my skin look dull, so the facials help with that.  Like I said, I get them more often if they weren't so darn expensive.

Helen47--Yes, hopefully, spring is just around the corner.  Today would've been my Mom's 90th birthday, so I'm glad I'm working today, it will make the day go by faster. 

MartieHugs--Like Heln said, we're counting down your treatments with you!!

Trusted Contributor

@MariotaMurielle -Good Morning.  I enjoyed your post and much admire that you got your degree and pursued nursing.  I admire anyone that is an RN.  I remember in high school joining the Future Nurses Of America and Future Teachers Association.  I always wanted to be a surgical nurse or work in the ICU.  That didn't happen, as life took me down different paths.  I am sure you brought a lot of comfort and encouragement to your patients. You are a true asset to the nursing profession.  Wishing you a wonderful day!

Trusted Contributor

Good Morning Everyone - Another beautiful day!

@Hayfield I have never got a facial, don't know why just haven't pursued it.  I do get manicures and pedicures on a regular basis and enjoy those, so relaxing.  In fact today I'm off to the mall this afternoon to get a manicure (much needed).  I did all my running around yesterday, so don't have a lot to do today. 

@Standing at desk for work  I hope you are feeling somewhat better.  Sinus infections are nothing to be messed with.  Our weather is supposed to get warmer towards the weekend. It's supposed to be in the 70's in Tucson, so it will be close to that here.  I'm definitely looking forward to spring!

@LTT1 I've been thinking of you and wonder how you are doing.  Take care of yourself.  Thoughts are with DBIL wishing him the best.

@snardy Yes, going back to school at 50 was a challenge, but I enjoyed it.  My husband is the one that prompted me to go back to school.  I was working at a local grocery store at that time and my husband wanted me to quit as he thought it was too hard on me, because I was doing everything at that time, working in different departments, stocking and resetting the store etc.  It was physically and emotionally demanding,  So he got his wish and I quit my job and off I went to school which was a wise decision.

Have any of you heard of the new phase "adult coloring books" ?  I don't know if it is new or not, but it's quite the "thing" right now.  I went to Hobby Lobby and decided to get a coloring book and pencils, and  I really enjoy it.  I find it to be very relaxing,  I don't color everyday, but when I do I'm surprised how fast time goes by.

Everyone have a great day.  Looking forward to the Superbowl  Smiley Happy