Honored Contributor

Re: 60's (+/-) Ladies........Come Join Us For December!

We're here waiting for our DS and DIL to get off work and join us for dinner. We picked up our GD from school, so she's already here. I made a big pot of Chile and homemade cornbread; one of my sons favorites. Anyway, not sure if I'll be able to post later so thought I'd stop now while waiting. First, a very warm WELCOME to MartieHugs! I joined this thread a couple years back and consider all the ladies on our thread my very dear friends. Like you, I visited often before my first post. I'm retired from the school system. We've lived in San Diego for about 12 years and have lived in CA. all my life . My DH and I are going on 48 years of marriage (yikes!) We have two grandchildren and a son and a daughter. I keep busy volunteering at our local hospital, gardening, reading, decorating my house constantly and whatever else comes up. I need to come back when I have more time to catch up with everyone's posts. CINDY, so glad to hear from you. Hope you're getting stronger every day. SHORELADY ((hugs)), RetRN, glad you stopped by; have a wonderful week......Need to run , my son just walked in!
~H~
Regular Contributor

Hello my Friends, This is a quickie as I am supposed to be flat on my back for bedrest due to the seriousness of my last fall. It's almost 3AM and I got up to use the bathroom. DH will have a fit if he sees me sitting at the computer. I hope to soon get time to read all the posts I have missed and wanted to send my best to all of you. This getting old stuff is not for the faint of heart! So back to bed I go and I go to the Dr. on Friday. Hopefully my status will change and things will begin to get back to normal. Hope y'all are OK and my sick friends are getting better and the Holiday spirit is amongst you!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Good Morning! I'm working today, I have a special tour this afternoon and then another one right after we close. I'll get home around 7 pm tonight. I think I'll pick up a pizza on the way home!

MartiHugs--Welcome! We're a great group! I just joined a couple of months ago when I officially turned 60! I've been married over 36 years to a great guy and have two children, DS is 28 and works & lives in NYC and DD is working full time and working on a master full time so she's still living at home. She'll move out after she completes her master and she won't be in debt. I was an real estate appraiser for over 25 years, quitting when my two children were in middle and high school and now I work part time at Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington. It's a great part time job. I'm waiting for my DH to decide what he's going to do. He's on track to retire in June 2016 but we'll see. If does retire then I want to move a little further south, like North Carolina, near the beach. I love Northern Virginia but it's expensive to live here and I think moving to a less expensive area is the way to go.

Respected Contributor

Mochahoney--I love Coach bags and I have a few. I got my last one at one of the outlet stores, they have great sales.

FancyPantsy--I work out every day that I'm not at work. It's not dedication really, when I got arthritis in my knee I was told that losing weight and exercise would be good for it. I feel better when I work out too. My DH lost 40 lbs. recently and he works out faithfully now, so it's something we do together. I feel like it's something that I gotta do, whether I want to or not. I got a personal trainer over a year ago and she works me harder than I'd work on my own. I meet with her once a week. I really wish I could do it on my own but I can't I need her to push me. That's what I do with the money that I make at my part time job, pay for the trainer and my trips to NYC to see DS. It's hard since I like my sweets, bread & wine, all the things that I shouldn't eat.

Helen47--Married 48 years! DH and I were just talking last night about being married for over 36 years that we'll just stick it out since we made it this far! Where does the time go? One day you're young with little kids, the next day you're old with grandchildren? We don't have grandchildren yet though, maybe some day.

Esteemed Contributor

good morning y'all. it's a beautiful, sunny, coldish day here and I love it. there's nothing special going on here today but as RetRN said, I love doing what I want/when I want. even if it means doing nothing but piddling around the house. I'm sitting here looking at the undecorated Christmas tree. I really like the way it looks with just the lights, but the box of decorations is sitting on the floor next to the tree, calling my name. I really should put them on the tree, I guess. maybe after another cup of coffee.

I'm thinking of Spammom, Puddles, Corismom and all our friends here with health issues. I hope you are all feeling better and know that you are missed.

since it's throwback Thursday and almost Christmas, I thought I'd post a photo of my first Christmas at Fort Polk, Louisiana in 1981. we had only been married for about 6 weeks. we lived in base housing and didn't have much money. I think these candy canes and a few things we bought on base were the only decorations we had. it was a wonderful time.

photo 98bdc2ca-f6b5-4618-870c-088063dc950f.jpg

I wish the rest of you would post a photo or two.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

since I decorated the tree I thought I would add one more pic. my favorite decorations are the 20 or so miniature Choctaw and split oak baskets that I've had for about 25 years.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Hi

I took today off (calling it an SOS -- Save Our Sanity-- day! haha). All was going so well and wouldn't you know? an upset parent emailed today -- I shouldn't have looked! The parent isn't angry with me their student is not in my class -- but I do feel their pain. The parent even admits that perhaps their student's side of the story isn't 100% unbiased! (yes, there is a rift there) Thank heavens this isn't my child. I am going to try and help before leaving. Can we fight the system?

Mochahoney... I promise to try and post pictures when I am off. I have thought about a few things along that line that would be fun to share! Love your pictures!

Martihugs... it is very nice to know you! Thank you for posting here!

Hayfield... you are my hero and my role model... I am going to exercise when the job is over in 1 1/2 weeks!!! BRING ON THE COUNTDOWN!!!

bbl!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Oh LOVES, your dedication to your students to the end; they will miss you after you're gone! I hope your replacement will help to fill the void you leave. As far as fighting the system; good luck with that. On a positive note...their loss is our gain!(-; hope you're having a great day off! MOCHAHONEY, except for the different hairdo, you haven't changed a bit! Love your pictures! I'll see if I can post a couple; hope you're enjoying the day doing whatever you "want"! HAYFIELD, we got married right out of high school. Very young and not something I'd want my grandkids to do. Truthfully, we've had good times and a few bad; but the good always outweighed the bad.And, we were definitely committed. You are my mentor too...I plan to start my walking again after the first of the year. KAT, I'm 67 and I don't feel it MOST of the time. I definitely tire easier. I agree with you..as long as it's legal, I say live life to the fullest! So glad you got your package; let us know how you like the Ninja! CORISMOM, so glad you checked in for a minute to keep us updated. Please follow your doctors orders and REST; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good doctor report tomorrow. FANCY, I'm still shopping for last minute gifts; hopefully, I'll be as lucky as you and finish soon. Hope you're feeling better and enjoying the day. DH stayed in and worked from home. Lots of rain headed this way tomorrow. I've been worried about my brother who lives in Sacramento. He texted me this morning and I quote "lots of flooding in some areas; it's pretty scary!" He did say he's fine and will be leaving work early and staying in. Please pray with me he stays safe. We definitely do need the rain.....Everyone enjoy what's left of the day. Be back soon!
~H~
Honored Contributor

Hi ladies,

a brief note today as I had two cortisone injections today in a joint by my thumb and the joint in the big toe both on my left side. My Ra is acting up, darn it. Have a wonderful evening.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

hi ladies and good evening ... just a brief note from me too. kinda in a rush (as usual~lol)

mocha, i appreciate that you post pix and honestly, if i knew how to do it, i would post a picture now and then.

kat, so sorry about the RA acting up, and hope the injections help!

i am excitedly packing because i am being treated to a two night stay over in orlando and admission to the eukanuba national championship dog show. my own very special granddog, bella will be competing! dd is very involved in all things dogs over in jacksonville, and has two dogs, but only one is in this show. the other dog will be sitting in the cheering section with me! bella is not one of the 'top dogs' and will be competing on friday, not on saturday and sunday like the champions. but it is still a really big deal and i am super excited. we have tix for the saturday night show, which is supposed to be quite the thing (i have seen it on tv) and then i will come home sometime on sunday.

hope you all have a great weekend !

{#emotions_dlg.wub}