Honored Contributor

Re: 5 things Derm Doctors will never put on their face.

I have never used any of those things except a buf puf way back in the day. That really irritated my skin so I didn't use it very long. I have thought of buying one of those strong chemical peels online but chickened out. I will stick with what my derm recommends which is daily SPF, BHA, and Retin A at night. Btw I have very oily acne prone over 50 skin. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makeup addict wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/5-things-dermatologists-will-never-put-on-their-faces...

I agree 100% with all that is stated.

I do not overexfoliate, and I don't use strong scrubs.  I don't get facials either.  I have eczema, and I'm very careful with my skin.  The most I use is retin a at a low strength a few times a week or PTR Retinol fusion PM.  The other nights I use his night cream or I use Cerave PM and Argan oil over it.

I feel women over exfoliate their skin.  Pores can become enlarged and their skin can look red and irritated.  My friend who gets facials has irritated skin, now that always looks red and broken out.    I stay out of it, but I think her skin looks worse now.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I agree with all of that. I don't do anything harsh to my skin. It's a daily, gentle exfoliation. (Like a daily, gentle everything else.)

When it comes to skincare, I feel like the tortoise, rather than the hare. Which is why I also do not agree with going up, up, up in strength w/ retinols, etc. (unless there is problematic, acneic skin.) And then after that clears, use a much more gentle percentage.

I also disagree with so many vendors who insist that young women use harsh ingredients. (Again, unless there is a true problem.)

Those who resort to the needles, etc., seems to me, are those who have neglected the daily care and now things have gotten much worse, so they resort to more drastic measures.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Collagen creams are not totally useless. Collagen can hold moisture so creams containing it make good moisturizers. Other than this, they will not do much else. 

Microneedling...well I do it but I have had it done professionally and have been educated about it's techniques and devices. I have no problems with doing my own at-home treatments. This was not something I just jumped into over night. Learning it from a professional first was important to me and still is. Microneedling is not for everyone and imo has gotten a bad rap because of it's misuse and abuse.

Respected Contributor

HSN sells a microneedling device. I would never do that. When I think about sticking needles in my skin, it totally freaks me out. 

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny. If you use Retin A (recommended by derms), that is your exfoliator. None is needed except maybe a peel type product once a month. 

Buff Puffs or other daily physical exfoliators, irritate most skins and can cause broken capillaries, dry skin, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

HSN sells a microneedling device. I would never do that. When I think about sticking needles in my skin, it totally freaks me out. 

The one HSN sells is hardly a roller. The needles are too short to cause concern. Basically it's an exfoliating type roller and is said to enhance absorption of products.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Collagen creams are not totally useless. Collagen can hold moisture so creams containing it make good moisturizers. Other than this, they will not do much else. 

Microneedling...well I do it but I have had it done professionally and have been educated about it's techniques and devices. I have no problems with doing my own at-home treatments. This was not something I just jumped into over night. Learning it from a professional first was important to me and still is. Microneedling is not for everyone and imo has gotten a bad rap because of it's misuse and abuse.

I agree.  I just bought one and it is the lowest one at .25.  It is suppose to help absorb products better.   You have to disinfect it after every use.  I just received it yesterday.  Whether I use it or not is a different story but this is not a professional grade heavy roller by any means.  Most people just don't follow instructions or do their homework. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Micro-needling stimulates healing or scarring. Your skin works over time to heal itself which I suppose could be fine and dandy but I keloid! Not once have I heard the vendor address that!

That is an excellent point, @Andreatoo!

Respected Contributor

This really should be entitled "5 Derm Doctors Share their Pet Skin No-Nos." 

I'd never use a loofah on my face, and the poor doc who came down on buff-puffs doesn't seem to know they're made in single-use versions, which do away with the germ issue.

Microneedlers, like neti pots, need to be used by knowledgeable people who are fanatical about cleaning the tool after every use. I'd never use a needler and I wouldn't have a professional microneedle my skin, but that's because I'm prone to infection. 

I don't get the collagen issue--it's not harmful, and this roundup seems to be about doing harm, not ineffective ingredients. I'm not even sure that the doc is right about collagen, for that matter.

The one who says of abrasive scrubs that "Most people who try them are acne patients..." is truly out of touch with what people are doing today. All you have to do is read this board to see how many seniors are scrubbing their faces with those products. Maybe she's talking about her own patients, but she can't extrapolate a small sampling of people in Durham, NC to the world.

This is sloppy article with a clickbait title, IMO. We provide much more informed information about skin dos and don'ts right on this board.