Honored Contributor

Re: 5 things Derm Doctors will never put on their face.

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Thank you for posting about Dr. Dray's YouTube videos. I have now watched a few of her videos and have found them to be informative! I was surprised, however, to hear that she doesn't think there's any real benefit to using vitamin C serum. I'm pretty sure it's made a difference in my skin and I've read about others who have also seen results so, could we all just be seeing things? She does advocate using retinoids/retinol as well as BHA's so I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to think vitamin C applied topically is of any use.

That surprised me, too. Not only that, but I thought she said that there were no studies or benefits about the effects of topical antioxidants.

My take-away is that it is just one person's opinion, and though I am a lay person, my personal experience tells me that I respectfully disagree with her.

I did not watch the videos but if it is true she stated that there are no benefits or studies showing topical antioxidants do anything for the skin, she is VERY out of touch. Anyone can find many, many scientific, peer reviewed journal articles regarding studies that show certain antioxidants do indeed have benefits. Often times, these benefits may not necessarily be "seen" by the user but they indeed help the skin at a cellular level.  An example of this is vitamin C helping fight free radicals caused by sun exposure which helps fight off sun damage to the the skin or vitamin A (found in a variety of oils like RHSO or retinoids) an Vitamin C in helping the skin produce collagen which, in turns, helps to prevent sagging and loss of elasticity in the skin.  There are an overwhelming amount of studies showing the benefits of topical antioxidants such as this. 

Hi HappyDaze,

I only mentioned Dr. Dray because she struck a HUGE chord with me.  I am not saying she knows everything.

Dr. Dray answers questions all the time.  Do you have an example of articles you mentioned?   I know she would respond to your articles and findings.

I have heard her say (in my words) if something works for you....great, but you don't have to pay so much for great skincare.

asltw

All she has to do is go to any of the peer review scientific journals and type in antioxidants and skincare and she will get hundreds if not thousands of studies. I just think it is odd if she is a doctor that she would say that. 

I totally agree with her in terms of the idea that you don't have to pay alot for great skincare. I say that all the time as well. 

No reason to get defensive. We are all just having a discussion here. 

Super Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Thank you for posting about Dr. Dray's YouTube videos. I have now watched a few of her videos and have found them to be informative! I was surprised, however, to hear that she doesn't think there's any real benefit to using vitamin C serum. I'm pretty sure it's made a difference in my skin and I've read about others who have also seen results so, could we all just be seeing things? She does advocate using retinoids/retinol as well as BHA's so I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to think vitamin C applied topically is of any use.

Hi Texasmouse,

Many people have mentioned Vit. C serums (Drunk Elephant was one) to her and she responded that if something worked for you...great.  She believes we should not have to pay so much $$ for good skin care.

I know if you asked her ANYTHING, she would respond.

asltw 

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

That surprised me, too. Not only that, but I thought she said that there were no studies or benefits about the effects of topical antioxidants.

My take-away is that it is just one person's opinion, and though I am a lay person, my personal experience tells me that I respectfully disagree with her.

I did not watch the videos but if it is true she stated that there are no benefits or studies showing topical antioxidants do anything for the skin, she is VERY out of touch. Anyone can find many, many scientific, peer reviewed journal articles regarding studies that show certain antioxidants do indeed have benefits. Often times, these benefits may not necessarily be "seen" by the user but they indeed help the skin at a cellular level.  An example of this is vitamin C helping fight free radicals caused by sun exposure which helps fight off sun damage to the the skin or vitamin A (found in a variety of oils like RHSO or retinoids) an Vitamin C in helping the skin produce collagen which, in turns, helps to prevent sagging and loss of elasticity in the skin.  There are an overwhelming amount of studies showing the benefits of topical antioxidants such as this. 

Hi HappyDaze,

I only mentioned Dr. Dray because she struck a HUGE chord with me.  I am not saying she knows everything.

Dr. Dray answers questions all the time.  Do you have an example of articles you mentioned?   I know she would respond to your articles and findings.

I have heard her say (in my words) if something works for you....great, but you don't have to pay so much for great skincare.

asltw

All she has to do is go to any of the peer review scientific journals and type in antioxidants and skincare and she will get hundreds if not thousands of studies. I just think it is odd if she is a doctor that she would say that. 

I totally agree with her in terms of the idea that you don't have to pay alot for great skincare. I say that all the time as well. 

Hi Happydaze,

Oh my,I am sorry if I came off defensive.  If anything, just the opposite.  I really do NOT like when discussions turn ugly (which they all seem to do for some reason).  If I wrote something to make you feel I was becoming defensive, please accept my apologies.  I agree, this only a discussion and I feel we are here to help one another.

Have a wonderful evening,

asltw

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah I would agree with this list. Most are harmful with the exception of collagen which is just a waste of time topically or even taken internally like is very popular in Asian countries. I've not seen any evidence that this is helpful for the skin at all. 

Micro-needling and at home peels where you don't know the strength or pH in many instances are down right dangerous, especially if you have never had one and know how your skin to react to it. That is best left in the hands of a derm or esthetician. I think lasers are so much safer than needling. You do not want products going deeper into the skin through self inflicted holes you put there. That is crazy. Even done in the hands of an expert I think lasers are so much more reliable and effective. Lasers work in a more controlled but similar way that rollers do. Inflict damage so that our skin sends collagen to that area to heal it but even in the hands of experts it can not be calibrated like a laser can so it can do too much damage and it does happen often.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Hi HappyDaze,

asltw

Hi Happydaze,

Oh my,I am sorry if I came off defensive.  If anything, just the opposite.  I really do NOT like when discussions turn ugly (which they all seem to do for some reason).  If I wrote something to make you feel I was becoming defensive, please accept my apologies.  I agree, this only a discussion and I feel we are here to help one another.

asltw

Hi @ASLTW, if you google topical Vit C you will find info from several sources/studies including the NIH (National Institute of Health) showing studies of how Vit C is a powerful antioxidant that helps treat and prevent photoageing and hyperpigmentation, stimulating collagen production. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

How were your test results?

Honored Contributor

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ASLTW wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Hi HappyDaze,

asltw

Hi Happydaze,

asltw

Okay good, glad I was mistaken and we are on the same page, discussion wise @ASLTW. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makeup addict wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

How were your test results?

Everything went good @makeup addict. They think they are calcuim nodules. Nothing on the bone scan looked suspicious at all. 

Thank you!

JFK
Respected Contributor

Awesome news @Irshgrl31201!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

Awesome news @Irshgrl31201!!!!

I was happy to hear it! I wasn't sure how much more I could go through health wise especially after getting somewhat back to normal!!

JFK