Respected Contributor

2nd Day Hair? How to get it when you STYLE & SPRAY your LONG hair each day?

Entering my mid 40’s, I still wash my hair each day – (4 days a week, I don’t wash or style my hair on the days I stay at home and don’t leave my house) But, I come from the 80’s generation, I like my hair longer, curled and styled, including sprayed, I don’t like hair falling in my face all day or re-styling, I do my hair ONCE in the morning and don’t touch it until I put it up at night to workout and sleep.
Over the years, I notice my scalp is showing more and more, especially on my crown and I notice how much thinner I has become despite using WEN most days and the oils on my scalp/hair at least 3-4 times a week.
So, I have thought about trying to go a day w/out washing, meaning maybe brushing out my product, using a dry shampoo (I HAVE NEVER TRIED ONE) and re-styling? I just worry that will damage it more since it so harsh to curl over hairsprayed hair, I don’t like to do that and feel it would cause damage. Despite what it may sound like, I get lots of compliments on my hair, I just feel it is thinning a lot more and even my pony tail won’t stay in anymore since it’s not as thick as it used to be.
Age?, Styling? Who knows but I just want to try things to fix it and be proactive.
I do not take meds, no medical issues, thyroid testing is fine, I am at a healthy weight, eat healthy, exercise, take hair/skin/nails and fish oils

So, with that full disclosure background LOL
What tips do you have for 2nd day hair – Mind you my hair is to my bra line and styled each day. I know straight hair may be thinking “what is the big deal” but until you style / spray your hair each day, you won’t understand how hard it is

Honored Contributor

Re: 2nd Day Hair? How to get it when you STYLE & SPRAY your LONG hair each day?

I also grew up in the 80s and when you say Curl, Style, and Spray, I imagine this:

So I hope you're not doing that!

I have long curly/wavy hair. On the second day, I use a spray bottle of water to get my hair a little damp, then I spray a curl refresher over that. (If I use curl refresher alone, I'd have to use a lot and some leave my hair sticky. The water + refresher works best for me.) After that, I scrunch the curl pattern back in and reapply a small amount of Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions, to prevent frizz and provide some hold. I only use hair spray on my bangs to keep them in place and not on the rest of my hair. 

I've used dry shampoos before, but my dry curls are not really a fan of dry shampoos. If I use them, I stick to the roots and then go in with the liquid sprays 20 or 30 minutes later. 

I've been doing second-day hair since the 80s. It's much easier now that they have so many products to help reduce frizz.

My favorite curl refresher sprays included Ouidad Botanical Boost and  Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist. 

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue  well, I can say I WISH my hair was that FULL and thick. It used to be back in the 80's and I DID PERM back then, I really miss my perm, I could get 2nd or 3rd day hair just by wetting it down some.  My hair is POKER straight and I curl it because I do not like straight hair on me. I have no body, bounce or anything at all unless I curl and spray it.

You mentioned alot about curl refreshers, when you CURL your hair (not natural curls) those refreshers do not work, I've tried them a few times, my hair even sprayed doesn't like to HOLD curl, I have to use a strong hold hairspray to hold the curls since my hair is so fine and straight, which again the strong hold sparay makes it harder to acheive 2nd day hairl

Respected Contributor

If you want second day hair and use a lot of spray mabe use a gentler  hair spray  like a finishing spray.  something easier to comb out. Batista ( I think thats the name not sure)  has a dry shampoo to match your hair color so you do not have a residue.

I can skip a day of shampooing to be honest i love to shampoo  so i still do it daily.  I wear my hair in a pony tail so I do not style.  

Respected Contributor

i picked up a can of Dove dry shampoo after our water heater died. we had no water and no showers for 3 days. i was just about to wash my hair that morning - i had to go out of town. ugh. i don't find a residue with the Dove. it worked on 5-day old dirty hair! it was so oily the dry shampoo would have caked on my hair.

i recently used a sample of Taya Amazon Clay Overnight Hair Plumper. my hair felt a bit thicker. before anyone throws tomatoes at me i just looked and yes it has cones....sorry

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline  No tomato's coming from me!! What works for some doesn't for others, thanks for your sugguestions!! Sorry about having no water, I'm pretty sure I would have had to call into work, thank god I save my sick days LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

SandGirl, all that curling is not doing your hair any good. The heat can add to thinning your hair, plus as you age and gray the texture of your hair changes. I have super fine, super thick, super straight hair, that doesn't hold a curl unless I spray it hard with hair spray. That spraying also isn't good, but there are some good thickening shampoos. I use Shea Moisture's Thickening Shampoo, in the ethnic hair care section at WalGreens or Target; it is for all hair types. It gives my baby fine hair volume. I also have oily hair and find that if I use salt spray, to dry out my hair a bit, the night before day two, I can then use dry shampoo the following morning, to clear up some of the oil and get day two hair from my chin bob. I also find the beach/salt spray helps to give my hair some grip to hold the curl better when I do put some curl into it on the ends and at the root for volume, but I use a humidity resistant hair spray by Treseme or the Flexible hold ones. I always have a hair clip on me for cliping up my bangs, as they dip into my face when I'm working at my desk or when I get hot.....a low thyroid with hot flashes and night sweats, like the dripping with sweat kind.

Respected Contributor

Hello, SandGirl. Smiley Happy

Here's a few tips that may help.

1. DON'T brush your hair everyday. Too much brushing stresses out the hair and the roots. Let your hair rest for a bit. To keep it from tangling, try putting it in a bun before you go to sleep. The hair will get a rest from brushing, but won't be a wild mess when you get up.

2. If you must brush your hair everyday, don't start at the roots and work your way down to the ends. Starting at the roots tends to pull out the hair, especially when you snag a tangle. Instead, GENTLY brush from the ends of your hair and then work your way up to the root. Try to be extra gentle once you start getting to the root of your scalp to avoid pulling out the hair.

3. Since you posted your hair was thinning, you can try Nick Chavez Plump 'N Thick Hairspray, Volumizing Hairspray, Advanced Volume Hairspray or Advanced Plump 'N Thick Hairspray.

4. If you use thermal tools on on your hair, try not to use it so often. Thermal hair tools fry the hair, especially the ends, when used too often.

5. If you want to try a dry shampoo, Nick Chavez makes two things. Advanced Volume Overnight Dry Volumizer and POUF! Re-Do Hair and Scalp Cleanser. These are for when you don't want to wash your hair all the time.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder