Esteemed Contributor

10 things I learned in January's InStyle

Just a few things to ponder, do, or buy!

1. They raved about Bare Minerals new BB called "Complexion Rescue" which improves hydration by 25% in one week. Not out yet.

2. Break sugar addiction by taking 1,000 milligrams of the amino acid glutamine every 3-4 hours for two weeks (Dr. Frank Lipman, author of "New Health Rules")

3. Living Proof has a new $500 product that promised to "smooth and reshape" under eye area; put it on, wait three hours and get flawless, no-bags skin. Temporary, of course.

4. Gillette has a new razor for women based on the same rollerball technology as the Dyson vacuum; no more nicked-knees.

5. New second-generation at-home laser devices have FDA clearance to penetrate deep below the skin's surface to stimulate collagen. They also come with a serious new price tag; around 700.00 for a device.

6. There's a weird new device for getting beachy-waves: it's this cylindrical plastic tube with a sort of corkscrew thing inside that you attach to your dryer. You slip a chunk of hair into it and it twists into "perfectly imperfect spirals." (I think I'll pass on this one!)

7. For $30 bucks there's a salon that will send you a custom hair color kit after you send them a picture and fill out a questionnaire. Includes access to a voice-activated app that talks you through the process of applying color.

8. To get even color with nude-hued nail polish, paint on two coats, then apply a coat of ridge-filling base coat and follow with a slick of shiny topcoat. 4 coats total.

9. Calculate how much water you need to drink daily by multiplying your weight by .67. Add 12 ounces for every 1/2-hour of exercise.

10. The Elsa side-braid is over. Let it go.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Re: 10 things I learned in January's InStyle

Thanks for the laugh on number 10
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info. #2 sounds interesting. Sugar addict that's me.
Honored Contributor

I am not sure the home hair color is new I have seen it on tv a few times

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I thought the ones about how to get a decent opacity with nude polish was interesting as was the one about how to break the sugar Jones.

It was a good issue of the magazine!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

#7 sounds very interesting!!!!!!! Also #2 sugar addict that I am!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I can testify to the l-glutamine!!

I can't wait to try the Bare Minerals BB cream (read about that, too!)

And my hair isn't long enough for the side braid, so I'm good there.

Thanks for the info. I haven't read the entire magazine yet.

Respected Contributor

Don't have long hair so don't have to worry about any braids. Thank you for the other info.

Honored Contributor

#7 is www.esalon.com, I think.