Honored Contributor

We have a stoop too, same meaning...some of these are similar to Southern Va.

I'm wondering if it's because we are a nation of travelers.  We go from one state to another (as other's have said).  In this way we take some of our 'sayings' with us.  Sometimes we change and blend in but sometimes we continue to use the word.

Instead of saying Pop we say "soda".  But you have to remember I'm not deep south I'm kinda in the middle here.  I have family that has such a southern accent I can hardly understand them.  Ha!

I've been speaking to people in like a Drs office and they'll say, "You have a Southern accent.  Where are you from"?  Yet most people say I have no accent.  It's strange what we hear.

Different but interesting is that I once read that what we hear is not our real voice.  The sound is echoed when we hear it (kinda bounced around).

That's why when we hear a recording the recording sounds so different from what we THINK we hear.  I read that the recording is the actual voice.  

Honored Contributor

I am a native of Chicago.   I do NOT have an accent......YOU do (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am a native of Chicago.   I do NOT have an accent......YOU do (!)

@Desertdi

LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm 35 sw of Chicago. 

We say: soda, you guys, front room, where you at?

DH sounds like the old SNL skits of "da coach"  Mike Dikta  he says: dees, dems, and doez

Isn't Mike Ditka from Pittsburgh originally? I believe he played for Pitt.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

When someone says, "I'm from Jersey," l get a kick out of that-- it's regional slang. People don't say "l'm from York," or "l'm from Hampshire." Woman Happy

Every one I know that lives here says New Jersey, myself included - it's usually people from other states that refer to it as Jersey.

I don't say my in-laws live in York, but they do say their son lives in Jersey.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2  I still say chopped meat and pockabook!

When my daughter went away to college - from NJ to RI - she went into a Dunkin Donuts and asked if they had a pork roll and egg sandwich they had no idea what she was talking about.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@newjerseygirl wrote:

@Othereeeen wrote:

From  NYC..."stoop" is the front steps....

"the Ell" is the elevated subway that runs on suspended tracks...(You take the Ell to......"

From NJ..."Down the shore"...means visiting the seashore....."We went down the shore for the summmah..."

Pittsburgh......they drop the words "to be"....as in "It needs cleaned up" ...or "The streets need plowed" ....

....and "youins"  for (loosely) "you guys....

@Othereeeen  Yes, I like to go "down the shore".

I grew up "down the shore"! 

@proudlyfromNJ- spent most of my youth on the Asbury Park boardwalk....those were the days! 

Honored Contributor

The funniest thing I can remember is a friend of mine from Boston who was passing through my area on the way to visiting his son in SC,and called me and wanted to know if i would meet him for a quick lunch.

We went to Wendy's because it was right down the street from my work building.  He walked right up to the counter and asked for a "peter pocket."  The girl said " what?"  He repeated it again.

She was visibly upset and called for her boss to come over.   When the boss got to the counter, he asked what the problem was.  By this time, I couldn't keep from laughing.   I explained he wanted a PITA pocket.  The girl said" that's not what he said to me"

We got our food and sat down to eat and my friend asked what the problem was all about.  I explained, but couldn't stop laughing,  Gotta love that Boston accent.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I was born and raised in California, and have lived here my whole entire life.

I have always called a soft drink a "soda".

What I found interesting, was when I went to Ireland in 2002, I was staying at a small boutique hotel, that had its own restaurant, in a small town.

One morning, a family was having breakfast in the restaurant, like I was.

They asked me if I lived in the area.

I thought for sure that I had a "California accent", that would give me away as to not being from Ireland! *lol*

I love the Irish accent, btw!

It did. That's why they asked you if you lived in the area, not if you were from the area. Smiley Happy 

I live in Texas, but I'm not from here.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Marienkaefer2  I still say chopped meat and pockabook!

When my daughter went away to college - from NJ to RI - she went into a Dunkin Donuts and asked if they had a pork roll and egg sandwich they had no idea what she was talking about.

@CelticCrafter  My sister who lives in Mass. visited last week. We had to go to the grocery store so she could get pork roll to bring home.