Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Marienkaefer2  I still say chopped meat and pockabook!

When my daughter went away to college - from NJ to RI - she went into a Dunkin Donuts and asked if they had a pork roll and egg sandwich they had no idea what she was talking about.

@CelticCrafter  My sister who lives in Mass. visited last week. We had to go to the grocery store so she could get pork roll to bring home.

Is a pork roll and Taylor Ham the same thing?  I have heard people use both of those terms for what looks like the same thing to me.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When my daughter went away to college - from NJ to RI - she went into a Dunkin Donuts and asked if they had a pork roll and egg sandwich they had no idea what she was talking about.

@CelticCrafter  My sister who lives in Mass. visited last week. We had to go to the grocery store so she could get pork roll to bring home.

Is a pork roll and Taylor Ham the same thing?  I have heard people use both of those terms for what looks like the same thing to me.

@Carmie Yes. I think Taylor Ham is the brand name.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Carmie Yes. I think Taylor Ham is the brand name.

Thanks.. 

Esteemed Contributor

The NY Times had a regional vocabulary quiz that was really fun to take. I tested accurately for both downstate NY, where I grew up, and upstate NY, where I have lived for all of my adult life. What I find interesting is that Florida shares much with the northeast, clearly a result of migration patterns. To a lesser extent, the same patterns exist for California. It seems that we carry our regional speech patterns wherever we go.

Respected Contributor

Speaking of Jersey....Remember when Tony Soprano would say "gabbagool" for the lunchmeat known as capicola??????

( forgive me if I call it lunchmeat....if may be some fancy kind of bacon cut....)

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I was born and raised in California, and have lived here my whole entire life.

I have always called a soft drink a "soda".

What I found interesting, was when I went to Ireland in 2002, I was staying at a small boutique hotel, that had its own restaurant, in a small town.

One morning, a family was having breakfast in the restaurant, like I was.

They asked me if I lived in the area.

I thought for sure that I had a "California accent", that would give me away as to not being from Ireland! *lol*

I love the Irish accent, btw!

It did. That's why they asked you if you lived in the area, not if you were from the area. Smiley Happy 

I live in Texas, but I'm not from here.

Ditto 😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Speaking of Jersey....Remember when Tony Soprano would say "gabbagool" for the lunchmeat known as capicola??????

( forgive me if I call it lunchmeat....if may be some fancy kind of bacon cut....)

@Othereeeen, I don't know if that's a Jersey thing (it may be), but ALL of my Italian friends say it that way.  (I neither eat it nor say it.  LOL)

Honored Contributor

I grew up in California and now live in the Pacific Northwest and I don't think either have regional accents.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

There is a large grocery chain in the Pittsburgh area called GIANT EAGLE - Pittsburgers pronounce it  'g an iggle " very hard for non burgh folks to understand at first. There is a restaurant chain called Eat n park and Pittsburgers do pronounce every word of it but run it all together - eatnpark as one word.

Haven't been to one in awhile @151949 but the food used to be really good at Eat n Park. But we always did laugh at the name. Shouldn't one park before they eat?! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

From  NYC..."stoop" is the front steps....

"the Ell" is the elevated subway that runs on suspended tracks...(You take the Ell to......"

From NJ..."Down the shore"...means visiting the seashore....."We went down the shore for the summmah..."

Pittsburgh......they drop the words "to be"....as in "It needs cleaned up" ...or "The streets need plowed" ....

....and "youins"  for (loosely) "you guys....

Maybe because I was raised by a mom from the Pittsburgh area, but eliminating the "to be" seems to be normal here as well, in casual speech. 

And I've only met one person who used the "youins" that wasn't from PA. I always assume anyone using that is from western PA.