Respected Contributor

Re: " Stepped up security?" REALLY???

Terrorists have sure changed the sense of security we used to have in this country.  I remember walking to grammar school and high school, alone at times, never even considering that anything dangerous could happen to me.  Now it's a whole different story.  I'm so happy that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour when I was 16.  I am secure in Him.  And when I die, I will go to be with Him... not because of anything I've done, but because of His sacrifice for my sin on the cross.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Terrorists have sure changed the sense of security we used to have in this country.  I remember walking to grammar school and high school, alone at times, never even considering that anything dangerous could happen to me.  Now it's a whole different story.  I'm so happy that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour when I was 16.  I am secure in Him.  And when I die, I will go to be with Him... not because of anything I've done, but because of His sacrifice for my sin on the cross.

The people who do the attacking in neighborhoods are not terrorists.  They are thugs that live in the neighborhood.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

There not enough law enforcement to walk around with A-K's 24/7/365.

Remember, if you see something unusual, say something.

@Plaid Pants2

After 9/11 for about a year, it was the military, all brances as well as the National Guards who were walking around w/A-K's.  I never saw not one law enforcement officer.  I assummed they were all undercover (acting like passengers & staff). 

As far as I know, currently there are still undercover Marshalls still acting as plane passengers as they are the only ones who are allowed to carry weapons on a plane.

Your last sentence is right on point! desismileys_4547.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My feeling is that we don't know how many attacks have been foiled because of our security.There is no such thing as 100 per cent  security in a democracy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

My point is what they are reporting on CNN, MSNBC, Fox news that the U.S. has ''stepped up security'' because of these attacks.  I'd like to think that the ''stepped up security'' is the normal way of life, not just a special situation if there is an attack somewhere.  I realize that nothing is 100% a sure thing but if ''stepped up security'' would prevent just one life from being lost, then it's necessary. 

Super Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

There not enough law enforcement to walk around with A-K's 24/7/365.

Remember, if you see something unusual, say something.

@Plaid Pants2

After 9/11 for about a year, it was the military, all brances as well as the National Guards who were walking around w/A-K's.  I never saw not one law enforcement officer.  I assummed they were all undercover (acting like passengers & staff). 

As far as I know, currently there are still undercover Marshalls still acting as plane passengers as they are the only ones who are allowed to carry weapons on a plane.

Your last sentence is right on point! desismileys_4547.gif

Some pilots are FFDO's (Federal Flight Deck Officer) who can carry a firearm on a commercial airline. It must be carried in a hard sided case that is locked. They have to go through a special security area when they arrive at airport security. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The number of Air Marshall's has been reduced, due to budget cuts, and they are not on every flight.

There are some pilots who fly armed, but not every pilot on every flight is flying armed.

And yes, immediately after 9/11 airports had armed guards, but that was never meant to be indefinite.

To have that at all airports large and small, 24/7/365 for years and years, decades even, would be cost prohibitive.

City/state and national security budgets have been slashed, and they are being forced to do more with less money and less personnel.

It is impossible for them to be everywhere at once all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much, I must be older than you. I remember walking home from grammar school terrified that every plane I heard overhead was USSR with an atom bomb on board. In addition to fire drills, we did "nuclear" drills where we hid under our desks. Lol! It was intensified for me because I grew up in a town with a huge nuclear development facility, and word was out that we would be the first to go.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

One can give up every freedom we have in this country and still not be 100% safe and insulated from terrorism. I choose not to walk in fear of such and keep my eyes and ears open when around the public. (thankfully we do not live around many people)  For those of us who live super rural and not within reasonable distance to any law enforcement....to keep us safe from domestic crime....well we know it would be an hour b4 any police response so here we know that we alone are responsible for our own (and family) well being and security.

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack I'm 67 and my husband is 69.  I don't *quite* remember having drills to hide under our desks, but my husband does.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!