Respected Contributor

Re: "How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

I am going to retire happily in about 4 years (a fat 401k), my DH is 17 yrs my junior & has an excellent job.  I have been told I could be one of the most brilliant strategists there is...!  

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9

Where in the US is that, please?  Union?

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@haddon9

Bucks Co, Pa.  Actually there are a lot of school districts in the Philadelphia suburbs that have similar pay and I've heard of districts in other areas of the country that pay the same or close to it.

Respected Contributor

it is short-sighted to only think of what it costs to live normally every day in retirement. If you live long enough, you may need very expensive care. My dad and stepmother were paying $15,000 a month for 24-hour in-home care before they finally had to go into an apartment in a memory care home for about the same cost. Thank goodness they can afford it. For now.

Trusted Contributor

@granny me wrote:

My daughter says she sees retired older people in her job that have a considerable amount of money, a home paid for, investments and it mean nothing if they get to the point where they need 24/7 care. She says they will often have to spend that money down to be placed in a care facility, because what seems like a lot when your healthy isn't much when you are sick.

@granny me This is so very true. I know people that's happening to right now. Investments, house paid for and a considerable amount of money. Because of one spouse needing 24/7 care they have had to do a reverse mortgage on their house and have gone through most of their other funds. They are getting close now to depleting the reverse mortgage and are worried about what will happen then. 

Regular Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@haddon9

Bucks Co, Pa.  Actually there are a lot of school districts in the Philadelphia suburbs that have similar pay and I've heard of districts in other areas of the country that pay the same or close to it.

@haddon9 wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@haddon9

My neice makes over 130,000 a year as a middle school science teacher and shes only 37.  My nephew about 110,000, same age, HS math.  We all live in the suburbs of NYC 

Honored Contributor

As for nursing home care - you are best off if you have no assets because then they keep you in on medicade. DH & I have long term care insurance thru Met Life. We have very good coverage - better than anything that can be purchased now. $350,000 a year. pays for at home care as well as nursing home.

Respected Contributor

I think people confuse needing a million dollars to retire to mean money to play golf, travel, live large. You can live frugal, but there's nothing frugal about nursing home, assisted living or in home health care. It's huge money - unless I guess if you go into a state funded home.  

Respected Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  retiring on a small amount of savings is fine....but, what if you get sick( which is mist likely going to happen) and , what if you live way beyond your savings amount. Many people live longer than the average lifespan.  If you retire with just enough to get by....you are probably going to run out of money.  My Husband I have well over a million for retirement now , and I still worry  about things that could at might come up and if we will have enough.

I often think of Frank.
Long ago, in a galaxy far away, when I was a teller in a bank, Frank worked from time to time in our branch. Frank was the annuity salesman...and he WAS a salesman. Personable, loved to talk about his grandkids and horses. Frank loved life, loved living, spent as much time as he could doing things he loved. His job was to help people plan financially...always looking to the future..would they have enough $$, etc...but Frank lived each day as if it was his last. HE didn't actually live like he constantly planned for the future, he just lived. (of course, he DID plan for the future, he just didn't get rankled about it)
Frank finally retired. I don't remember the exact age he was when he retired, but he was fairly young, probably mid to late 60's. Although in fairly good health (he also liked dining and all that comes with it), just a few months after he retired he had a massive aneurism and died. Had he planned all of his life, like so many of his clients did to start living when he retired  (I'll have more time to ____ when I retire)  he would have never lived.
I was young at the time and his life and death had a profound impact on me.
I think of Frank often.
Plan for the future, but live your life as you go.

@Quse  Unfortunately that happens. Personally I wish I hadn't  stopped working so early. Even though I had worked since 15 and was burnt out, I think I would have been more proactive in dealing with my spinal issues. Since I didn't have a job to get to, I think I allowed them to lolly gag around trying too many conservative treatments that didn't work. It might not have worked out differently but I think it would have. I would have had surgery years ago and kept on going. Now I'm in a big mess. It has really hindered my social interactions as well. 

My dad is 80 and still working part time. He's in better shape than I am!! We all dream of retirement but working is actually very good for some people. It keeps you on a schedule (yes, that can be a bummer), keeps your mind active, and you interact with people everyday. I think sometimes people just need an extended vacation to recharge and relax, not retirement. 

Valued Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@granny me wrote:

My daughter says she sees retired older people in her job that have a considerable amount of money, a home paid for, investments and it mean nothing if they get to the point where they need 24/7 care. She says they will often have to spend that money down to be placed in a care facility, because what seems like a lot when your healthy isn't much when you are sick.

@granny me This is so very true. I know people that's happening to right now. Investments, house paid for and a considerable amount of money. Because of one spouse needing 24/7 care they have had to do a reverse mortgage on their house and have gone through most of their other funds. They are getting close now to depleting the reverse mortgage and are worried about what will happen then. 

They will probably be better off because they will qualify for everything. My daughters positions has been in a state funded facility, private nursing home and now in a hospital and she has always told us it's better to have nothing because it is easier to find assistance for the care you need. She has told us story after story of people who have been turned away because they have too much, they don't have enough to pay for it, but enough to not qualify. It breaks her heart when her hands are tied and she has to send them home. So you plan the best you can and what happens will happen.