Trusted Contributor

Re: "How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

A million dollars to retire in SoCal is low.  We're mid 30's, save every penny we can, and hope to sell our business in 20 years and retire.  Kids will be out of college and we'll take it from there.

Cant even imagine not working,but I'm sure I'll be ready by my 50's. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  retiring on a small amount of savings is fine....but, what if you get sick( which is mist likely going to happen) and , what if you live way beyond your savings amount. Many people live longer than the average lifespan.  If you retire with just enough to get by....you are probably going to run out of money.  My Husband I have well over a million for retirement now , and I still worry  about things that could at might come up and if we will have enough.

@SeaMaiden - I have some money put away, but don't intend on using it unless an emergency - good for you - a million dollars!  I'm not worried at all, I'm a very frugal person. 

Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Quse    Hang out. Just kidding?

Hang out, and I'm not kidding. My husband and I worked very hard to have a home in the country where we have access to hiking trails, streams , man made lakes and land of our own to garden and watch the wildlife. We are very private people and do not like to travel, never have so hanging out is our thing. Do we have a million dollars to retire on, certainly not, although it would be nice we really don't need it to live our debt free life style.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I worked at a law office my whole career too and I totally agree with you!

Honored Contributor

I try to spend part of every day doing some project. It may be a cleaning project, or a sewing project , laundry , ironing,mending or organizing - whatever needs done. Doing this keeps me pretty well caught up around the house.Usually when I'm doing this DH will get out to the yard or garage to get out of my way and he gets something done too.

For instance I was noticing that the pictures hanging on the walls are all looking kinda old - so today's project was to get a bucket of hot water & vinegar and a microfiber cloth and give them all a good scrubbing. Now I feel like they look nice & fresh. While I was doing that DH replaced the faucet on the stationary tub that the housekeeper was complaining about. So by the time I do the daily chores like making the bed - cleaning the bathrooms and the kitchen every day + my project, the days just seem to get filled up. My neighbors stop by every now & then which is nice to stop & share some iced tea etc. or we make lunch dates with family or friends. And DH & I both do volunteer work.

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  I worked at a law office my whole career too and I totally agree with you!

@itsmagic - my ex husband used to say - but you sit behind a desk all day, why are you so tired? - It's so exhausting and attorneys are the worst bosses! 

Honored Contributor

My husband is going to fully retire within the next few weeks.

He really doesn't want to, he says he likes his job (I really think he doesn't want to have to deal with the honey do list!) but the commute is doing him in.  He's gone anywhere from 12 to 14 hours a day because of the horrendous traffic conditions from NJ to NY and back.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  retiring on a small amount of savings is fine....but, what if you get sick( which is mist likely going to happen) and , what if you live way beyond your savings amount. Many people live longer than the average lifespan.  If you retire with just enough to get by....you are probably going to run out of money.  My Husband I have well over a million for retirement now , and I still worry  about things that could at might come up and if we will have enough.

@SeaMaiden - I have some money put away, but don't intend on using it unless an emergency - good for you - a million dollars!  I'm not worried at all, I'm a very frugal person. 

I suppose it depends on the lifestyle you intend to live and on the cost of living where you intend to live. We take a monthly amount from our 401k - since my DH is >70 it is required - and yet we still have considerably more in there than we deposited when DH retired. We have a great finance man, our money is steadily, slowly growing, we don't waste it and he gives us good advice.Of course the good economy has been a Godsend but we have only very little in the stock market - we are mostly in municiple bonds. Much safer. I worry about if one of us dies what would the other one do - our income would be cut in half but my husband and the financial man both tell me the remaining spouse would use our home for money to meet expenses as needed, while still living here.Since we have no children to leave the house to it only makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@Leelee1123 wrote:

wow and here I was thinking a milllion was not enough! Im from NY though!

Same here I live in Los Angeles.  A million isn't enough. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust