Super Contributor

Re: "How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

yes I work the night shift on the floor dealing with pts .It is heavy stressful , emotional , mental challenging .Not reallly for the elderly .I will have to retire soon too

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Quse wrote:

I can't imagine retiring at all. I'm the one weirdo that actually loves what I do.
I don't know what, on Earth, I would do "retired".
I hate to travel, don't like golf, don't knit or sew (or pretty much any other craft) and there is only so much hiking one can do.
For those that are retired, what do you do?

If you are a weido, I am too.  My hubby and a great many of my friends too.  I love my life and I love that paycheck I get every month!  I expect to live a long, healthy, active life and for me, that includes doing the work I love.  It's not a job, it's a career.  One that I worked a long time for.  My bff retired at 72 and she called retirement "death's waiting room".  I think I agree with her.  It's funny, hubby and I keep extending it.  We're thinking 70, perhaps 72 but I know a few people are 72 and still working and happy and prosperous.  So, who knows when that time will come.  I do love to travel and I love dining in fine restaurants and I love shopping and decorating my home and I love money.  I can do and have all of those things and still work full or even 3/4 time.  That's another thing older people are doing now, reducing their hours to 30 or 32 hours a week.

@chrystaltree  - oh I think we all love the money - if you have a great job - I can understand.  Mine was just not - too stressful.  37 years was enough for me.   I'm happy to give up all the dinners out, traveling, etc. to just stay home and enjoy it - it's the simple things in life that make me really happy. 

Honored Contributor

The Micawber principle

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen, nineteen and six, result happiness.  Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Regular Contributor

wow and here I was thinking a milllion was not enough! Im from NY though!

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Quse wrote:

I can't imagine retiring at all. I'm the one weirdo that actually loves what I do.
I hate to travel, don't like golf, don't knit or sew (or pretty much any other craft) and there is only so much hiking one can do.

If you are a weido, I am too.  My hubby and a great many of my friends too.  I love my life and I love that paycheck I get every month!  I expect to live a long, healthy, active life and for me, that includes doing the work I love.  It's not a job, it's a career.  One that I worked a long time for.  My bff retired at 72 and she called retirement "death's waiting room".  I think I agree with her.  It's funny, hubby and I keep extending it.  We're thinking 70, perhaps 72 but I know a few people are 72 and still working and happy and prosperous.  So, who knows when that time will come.  I do love to travel and I love dining in fine restaurants and I love shopping and decorating my home and I love money.  I can do and have all of those things and still work full or even 3/4 time.  That's another thing older people are doing now, reducing their hours to 30 or 32 hours a week.

@chrystaltree  - oh I think we all love the money - if you have a great job - I can understand.  Mine was just not - too stressful.  37 years was enough for me.   I'm happy to give up all the dinners out, traveling, etc. to just stay home and enjoy it - it's the simple things in life that make me really happy. 

There's no right or wrong when it comes to retirement, it's an individual thing.  I have never worked a physical job but I do understand that after decades of physical work, retirement is something that a person would look forward too.  Also, those who have jobs that they don't like but have worked at because they need to support themselves and pay the bills.  I can understand why people like that would want to retire, would actually look forward to it.  Honestly, I know that at 57, I'm say I want to work until I am 72.....I might be saying an entirely different thing at 67.  Time can change how we feel about those things.

Honored Contributor

@Quse...you sound like my DH and me....he is well above retirement age, I am close.  We are self employed, and really enjoy working.  No hobbies.

We would probably kill each other if we were home together every day.

We have worked together all our married life, but being retired together scares me to death.

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine retiring with less than a million.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  retiring on a small amount of savings is fine....but, what if you get sick( which is mist likely going to happen) and , what if you live way beyond your savings amount. Many people live longer than the average lifespan.  If you retire with just enough to get by....you are probably going to run out of money.  My Husband I have well over a million for retirement now , and I still worry  about things that could at might come up and if we will have enough.

Honored Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@Quse  WHATEVER I WANT TO DO👌🙂👍

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I got laid off 3 years ago at 58 and thanks to my husband I didn't have to go back to work. I worked in an office and I pretty much hated everything about it. The work was mind numbing, the drive awful, the people so so, constant fear of layoff, stupid corporate America rules, micromanaging company and the mothership who pretty much hated everything about our office. Don't miss it at all. I keep busy. Exercise classes, everyday errands, and days where I do nothing. 

@Meowingkitty  I could have written this!  Love those "nothing days" don't you? 👍😉