Valued Contributor

Re: "How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

@151949 wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

I think it depends on the individual, the lifestyle they're accustomed too and how they wish to live in retirement and where-

Some are content to live minimally and others, not so much--

To each his own-

Trust me - not having a million dollars does not mean you have to "live minimally". Many of us are retired on way way way less than a million dollars and we live quite comfortably.

I don't believe I mentioned a dollar amount with respect to lifestyle comfort-my comment was basic and generalized-

To each his own was pretty non-judgemental -living minimally is not a judgement, but a choice of lifestyle for some-

Beyond lifestyle choices or what ones finances allow, with longer life spans, even with good insurance, medicare, social security and what would seem to be sufficient retirements for many, it only takes one long term illness and longevity of life to create hardship for many of our elderly.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Liverbird1 wrote:

yes I work the night shift on the floor dealing with pts .It is heavy stressful , emotional , mental challenging .Not reallly for the elderly .I will have to retire soon too

God bless you and all others who do what you do. It is a hard and often thankless job. It is why when I see posters like @chrystaltree bragging about their wonderful lives I want to throw up. She doesn't know what real work is.

I crack up when posters here say - I am 86 and still work every day - clearly you think this makes you a better person than everyone else - it doesn't. Those of us who really worked hard deserve our retirements. We had both hard physical labor and mental stress. 

When I was in school I worked in my family's bakery. If that would have been my life long career I could have done it til I die, easiest job ever. But not every job is one that can be done forever.

I can say that my dad was chasing cattle and driving tractors when he was 86, as were several other old farmers I knew.   I don't know of many jobs more labor intensive and stressful than that.  You can lose a whole year's crop in a heartbeat or over a summer drought.  

I depends on your genes, how used you are to hard labor and stress, and how you handle stress.  Most farmers are even-keeled and basicially optimistic people--they almost have to be in that profession.  They usually have a pretty live and let live attitude, and the ones that I knew didn't want to tell other people what to do and didn't want others to tell them.  

I also don't think the huge investment farmers have on the line.  Tractors and combines cost an enormous amount of money, fuel bills are many hundreds a month and the cost of planting a crop over a thousand or more acres isn't to sneeze at.   And you might make a crop, might not.

Many people in many different professions have stress and hard work.  Some sit at a disk, some drive a garbage truck, send out welfare checks, sack groceries, sell shoes, and do a thousand other things.  Luck, genes, faith, opportunity, hard luck, fate,  illness, and the One greater than all have a hand in what we are and what we have.  It isn't a merit based system.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Liverbird1 wrote:

yes I work the night shift on the floor dealing with pts .It is heavy stressful , emotional , mental challenging .Not reallly for the elderly .I will have to retire soon too

God bless you and all others who do what you do. It is a hard and often thankless job. It is why when I see posters like @chrystaltree bragging about their wonderful lives I want to throw up. She doesn't know what real work is.

I crack up when posters here say - I am 86 and still work every day - clearly you think this makes you a better person than everyone else - it doesn't. Those of us who really worked hard deserve our retirements. We had both hard physical labor and mental stress. 

When I was in school I worked in my family's bakery. If that would have been my life long career I could have done it til I die, easiest job ever. But not every job is one that can be done forever.

I can say that my dad was chasing cattle and driving tractors when he was 86, as were several other old farmers I knew.   I don't know of many jobs more labor intensive and stressful than that.  You can lose a whole year's crop in a heartbeat or over a summer drought.  

I depends on your genes, how used you are to hard labor and stress, and how you handle stress.  Most farmers are even-keeled and basicially optimistic people--they almost have to be in that profession.  They usually have a pretty live and let live attitude, and the ones that I knew didn't want to tell other people what to do and didn't want others to tell them.  

I also don't think the huge investment farmers have on the line.  Tractors and combines cost an enormous amount of money, fuel bills are many hundreds a month and the cost of planting a crop over a thousand or more acres isn't to sneeze at.   And you might make a crop, might not.

Many people in many different professions have stress and hard work.  Some sit at a disk, some drive a garbage truck, send out welfare checks, sack groceries, sell shoes, and do a thousand other things.  Luck, genes, faith, opportunity, hard luck, fate,  illness, and the One greater than all have a hand in what we are and what we have.  It isn't a merit based system.

Funny - I grew up on a farm in a farm community but never noticed that farming produces any particular personality traits.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Funny - I grew up on a farm in a farm community but never noticed that farming produces any particular personality traits.

Well, probably things are different out here in the plains states.  If you don't handle risk well, and aren't pretty philosophical about life I don't think you would be farming.  The weather is less reliable, I know we get less rain, and the conditions are pretty harsh with the storms we get, hail and such.  

Out here, you can have a thousand acres of wheat wiped out in a dourgh or one hail storm.  I'm sure people are different everywhere, and life adjusts to the conditions and circumstances, both natural and financial.  Some places in the world are easier and nicer to live than others.  One tv station's motto here is to paraphrase that our weather is tough but the people are tougher.  That's a heck of a motto huh?  LOL!!!!  Sometimes you think "WHY do I live here?"  'Cause we love it I guess!  You can't beat our sunsets! 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

I think it depends on the individual, the lifestyle they're accustomed too and how they wish to live in retirement and where-

To each his own-

Trust me - not having a million dollars does not mean you have to "live minimally". Many of us are retired on way way way less than a million dollars and we live quite comfortably.

Until you get sick, need in home health care, an assisted living facility and/or a nursing home. 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

To each his own-

Until you get sick, need in home health care, an assisted living facility and/or a nursing home. 

I have long term care insurance for that.