Honored Contributor

happy
secure
friendly
thoughtful

creative

I got along with all my friends and schoolmates and don't remember ever creating any trouble. I would save all my allowances (which wasn't very much) for months just to buy my mother a piece of milk glass or a trinket for Mother's Day. I loved to color, dress my paper dolls, make crafts, and decorate my bedroom.  I was and am an avid reader but couldn't think of an adjective for that one!

Great topic.  I like learning what people were like. Interesting.

Honored Contributor

I have decided to amend my list since at least two are so very similar

Hyperactive

Creative

Sensitive

Bright - got a way without studying

Chatterbox - Another girl in my class and I shared the same surname, we were great friend and would chat during class and yes we are still friends.

@I am still oxox wrote:

1 Hyper

2 Creative

3 Artistic

4 Messy

5 Sensitve

I am now only part time messy I flip flop between messy and uber neat

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I had to look up what was going on then, cause that is a LONG time ago.

Elvis had his first hit of Heartbreak Hotel, My dad about flipped out, because Elvis the Pelvis hit the teen scene. 1st word: social. (dancing).

The movie the 10 Commandments came out. 2nd word: curious (learning a lot then).

Grace Kelly married Prince Ranier. 3rd word, amazed. To think about such a large world.

The first half hour serial came on, As the World Turns. 4th word, fasinated, still about the t.v. being a part of our life more by then.

Loved playing out doors, and we had great neighborhood kids. We explored!!!

I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

Skinny, short-haired and myopic

Boyish

Loyal

Creative

Open, adventurous

I picture a skinny young girl with tortoise shell glasses and a haircut from a mother who channeled Vidal Sassoon and who had just bought us our first color TV so we could watch the 1969 Chicago Cubs play ball on WGN.  Oh, ’69 was the year!  The Cubs were gonna win!  My sister took me to Uptown Federal Bank and we stood in line for hours just so I could meet Ernie Banks and Randy Hundley in person.  My mother somehow scored tickets for Bozo’s Circus just so I could see Bozo and the gang – in person – before we had to pack up and leave Chicago, with my pet raccoon, for Prescott, Arizona.

I was open to the idea because High Chaparral was my favorite TV show and it was filmed in Tucson.  I flipped through the pages of Arizona Highways magazine and couldn’t wait to see the desert plants and animals.  I was ready to create a whole new life.

I left Chicago looking like a little boy and then blossomed when we got to Arizona.  By then I’d turned ten and I made friends, went out and explored, and read stacks of books from the library because the librarian didn’t limit readers to a certain number of books or to a particular age-appropriate section.  I’d been loyal to Chicago but now I was ready to be a desert dweller.

Today I’m 57 and I’m still nearsighted.  Still loyal as a Labrador and am finally enjoying a Cubs World Series victory (no, it was not to be in 1969).  Still creative but I channel that creativity much differently.  The Cubs t-shirt I wore in 1969 that made some people think I looked like a boy is on a large stuffed bear in the other room.  I may have gone through a period that wasn’t as open and adventurous, but when I had the chance to leave California and move to Albuquerque in 1995, I pounced.  I’ve changed careers many times since moving here and am now a psych nurse.

The irony is that I think I moved here because it reminded me of Prescott.  I thought I’d make several trips to Arizona and revisit Prescott but every time we plan a trip something goes wrong and prevents it.  And that might just be a good thing.  That year in Prescott was special.  I became a person and the year leading up to it – 1969 – made it possible.  I was transforming at nine and discovering what I liked and what I didn’t like and what was important to me.  Moving to Prescott opened a door and gave me a little confidence.

And it gave me a hankering for spicy food.  That hasn’t changed, either.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh, and thank you so much house_cat for allowing me to take that trip down Memory Lane.  Sometimes it's nice to take a few moments to explore.  Thank you again for providing the opportunity.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Yes, thanks for this topic.  It's fun!  I am glad it was for 9 yrs. old and not 15. My answers would have been quite different!!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

It's easy for me to remember age 9; I started the new school year with a cast on my arm after falling out of the pine tree in my grandparents front yard---in view of my pregnant mother.   Arm didn't hurt much, the fall scared me, and mom had to cut my Bat Masterson t-shirt off of me, which made me really cry.   I learned to write left handed in order to do all of my homework.  And of course a new baby brother.   

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou  I pretty much have put all the pain and hurt out of sight for the past 30 years. I broke my bond with my family totally. It has been so many years that I really do not think about them. I really have never known the true idea of FAMILY  or the purpose for family relationships.  I pretty much learned from my parents that family was not important.

At 61 I do not have the time to worry about making amends or the like with my two sisters. I have not spoken to them in 25 plus years even though they live just miles away.  I see no purpose to rekindel any relationships at this point.  What would be the reason to bring up all the old dirty painful issues that happened in the past?  Time now to just focus on the future and the time left.... to make the best life possible and not look back.

@BeccaLou wrote:

@SeaMaidenTry to let go of the pain. For Yourself. Grugdges will wear You Out.

Trusted Contributor

I can't remember by age, but I can remember by the school grade I was in:  And interestingly enough, I don't think I've changed all that much:

Smart

Creative

Empathetic

Self-Conscious

Worrier

Honored Contributor

Industrious

Independent

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)