Honored Contributor

I was cleaning up a desk this morning and came across a container with five pennies in it.   They were sticky, something had gotten on them. Stuck together....gross....

My first thought was to toss them out.... and move on to the next cleaning project.......but, a lesson my mother taught me as a little girl about respecting money made me do otherwise..( As a little girl, I  threw a penny away that I picked up off of the ground, and I was scolded big time for doing that).

Instead of tossing the pennies out, I cleaned and dried them off and put them in my coin purse. 

I wondered  how many people would find that odd and a bit neurotic the act of washing 5 pennies.....what do you think?  My feelings will not be hurt if you want to find it a bit odd Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I would have done the Sam thing.....have you ever heard of "Penni's from heaven". It could have been your mom.

Esteemed Contributor

I've done that as well! I put them in my change jar!

Contributor

Odd, no.  I would do the exact same as you.  If I see a penny on the ground (wherever I am), I pick it up.  I've had some looks, but I don't care.  My DH always has a quick response for everything.  He's told me when I get the looks to just say, "Oh, that's the last penny I need to become a millionaire."

Esteemed Contributor

I would have done the same.....clean them up and put them with my change....

Esteemed Contributor

I frequently wash change because I have a bad habit of just throwing my change in the cup holder of my car and it gets dirty.  I have to say that I did not always worry about how dirty the change got because our bank had an automated counter that I used to deposit coins to my account.  However, one of the news stations did a story on the change counters sometimes making errors so banks have now taken them out.  Since I have to sort and roll all the coins, I start out washing them.  I am waiting for someone at the news station to come and start doing this job for me.  I did not care if the coin counter took an extra dollar as long as I did not have to sort, roll, and mark the wrappers.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a special jar labeled ,"Pennies from Heaven"  I save every penny I find because they are  noticifations from our loved ones in heaven ,telling us they are near.Everyone i find is a special ,"Hello" to me from someone I loved very much  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've done both. 

A penny saved is a penny earned, but time wasted with crud infested pennies might also be better spent.

I do feel guilty when I toss them and it doesn't happen often, but I have done it.

Honored Contributor

I've done the same-so I guess there are a lot of us "weird"/aka- no normal what every one should do people!Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

There is a saying Every Penny Counts... I have a pink piggy bank and all my change through the year goes in it. At the end of the year, it a good amount of money.

I think you did a good thing. Heart