Respected Contributor

Re: Why are some women so vicious to other women at work?

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I don't get it! Women should support other women, but some women are incredibly vicious, back-stabbing, and malicious to other women at work. I experinced this today and I'm having a really hard time shaking it off. (1) have others of you seen this in the workplace---and (2) what's your theory about why this happens?

Ooooh I had an "Eve" at work that stabbed me in the back and did all that she could to undermine me and I was the one that hired her!  She DID eventually take my place, which was why she did what she did. Once I was gone and she was in power, I heard the big boss really regretted it and everyone hated her.  She continued her reign of terror by "informing" on everyone. She left on bad terms. I hope karma has caught up with her. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Valued Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

1) Don't get too friendly with people.

2) Don't engage in gossip and stay far from the gossip circles.

3) Above all, remember you are at work for a purpose (assumedly to pay the bills).

4) Keep a smile on your face at all times, even in the face of nastiness.

Absolutely-From my experience, the most valuable advice at work is number 2. (aside from do our jobs)

My great grandmother, grandmother and mother all had a saying:  "Birds of a feather flock together.  It covered a lot!  Especially gossip-

They'd say; "If I take part in gossip, with individuals who gossiped, I shouldn't trust they won't gossip about me when out of my presence. Not only would I not be trusted for being associated with them, but they couldn't be trusted to have my best interest at heart either." I've never forgotten the advice-

Often times, it is something personal said or shared that is then repeated, that causes harm-

Do we know how it all ended for the OP?

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

3) Above all, remember you are at work for a purpose (assumedly to pay the bills).

@SaRina I'm pleased it worked for you.  However, when I've applied what you have had success with, I'm considered not a team player or someone who is to be considered untrust worthy.  One has to be able to stay strong in their convictions. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina I'm pleased it worked for you.  However, when I've applied what you have had success with, I'm considered not a team player or someone who is to be considered untrust worthy.  One has to be able to stay strong in their convictions. 

@Puzzle Piece, let me elaborate. When I say "Don't get too friendly with people", I don't mean to keep to yourself, be standoffish or unhelpful. I just mean don't get too personally involved with them, don't reveal too much personal stuff about yourself, which they could always use against you. You can give the impression of being extremely friendly by showing an interest in others and making them the focus of the conversation. After all, people LOVE talking about themselves. Put on an act, keep the smile on your face and offer to help others. I don't see how that can be misconstrued as not being a team player or untrustworty.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina I understood what you wrote. 

Let me share my experience.  I don't do recreational drugs - period.  I worked with people who made more money and had higher positions than I who did their recreational drugs.  They knew I didn't do them and knew who all of them were.  I was considered a person who may have been a snitch or an undercover cop, etc.  The others didn't like that they had someone straigh in their midst.  Would I ever want to get in with folks like that?  No. 

They feared loosing their pricey homes, cars, marriages, etc.  Also their jobs if the information got out. 

I didn't want to get set up or have my husband harmed so I did leave. 

So much for people with advanced degrees and training. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@loyalfashionista wrote:

I am with you 1000%.  It seems that women are born with a bitchiness that men don't have.

I call it the "B" gene. Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

What individuals do on their own time is up to them.  A choice to use recreational drugs abounds throughout all socio-economic classes.

On the men v women thing-I've seen men who were just as disruptive and gossipy as any woman described here.

Although, I'm sorry for all who had difficult work experiences for whatever reasons-

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked as a ward clerk for years at local hospitals and nursing homes and had a birds eye view of how mean and rotten these professional nurses are to each other. I think it's because there isn't many positions they can step up to and floor work can get boring and dirty.They tried to get me involved in the s--t and corruption many times, but I would rather quit the job and move on than to have to face that nonsense every day.

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@SaRina I understood what you wrote. 

Let me share my experience.  I don't do recreational drugs - period.  I worked with people who made more money and had higher positions than I who did their recreational drugs.  They knew I didn't do them and knew who all of them were.  I was considered a person who may have been a snitch or an undercover cop, etc.  The others didn't like that they had someone straigh in their midst.  Would I ever want to get in with folks like that?  No. 

They feared loosing their pricey homes, cars, marriages, etc.  Also their jobs if the information got out. 

I didn't want to get set up or have my husband harmed so I did leave. 

So much for people with advanced degrees and training. 

@Puzzle Piece, that's a very unfortunate situation and I certainly would not want to work with a bunch like that either once I found out that information -- not for any kind of salary. Not worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 I'll tell you what I tell other's.  "Just be glad they aren't in your life other than times you HAVE to be near them".  

Just think.  There are people who HAVE to be near and with them all of the time.  Feel sorry for those people.  

That's what I do.  I can't imagine being mean and hateful all of the time.  It must take a lot of energy.  Take care.