Respected Contributor

Why Do People Feel The Need To Embarrass Other people At Work

Hi Ladies,

I am a nurse and while I was giving report to the oncoming nurse I heard a nurse's aide say to another nurses's aide that one of the patients had a 40 minute seizure (she meant to say 30 sec) and the aide that she said it to said really loud  said hey everyone so and so had a 40 minute seizure and was laughing. Well the aide that said  it looked so embarrassed and I feel that kind of outburst was not necessary and unprofessional. I felt so bad for the  aide but  by the time I got through with report the woman  had left but I will see her tonight.

Why do people love to humiliate other people I'll never know. Its just not nice!

Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do People Feel The Need To Embarrass Other people At Work

Makes one feel better about themselves; probably have insecurity issues to begin with.  If others laugh along, then it makes them feel empowered.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Valued Contributor

I think some people will say absolutely anything to get attention from everyone within earshot.  They don't care if they embarrass or humiliate the other person as long as everyone notices them.  Must be a huge insecurity.

Valued Contributor

It is so sad when people do that. You sound like a very kind, caring person. Hope you get to speak to her tonight...

Respected Contributor

Some people just like to make others look foolish so they can be the center of attention and feel better about themselves. Most of the time people like this are very insecure and always afraid someone else will do better than they do. It is sad but true.

Honored Contributor

That shouldn't be tolerated and her boss needs to speak to her. Those women need an audiance and someone needs to tell her that behavior is not tolerated, or needed there. Totally unprofessional. Wouldn't be an audiance for that behavior..

Esteemed Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

Makes one feel better about themselves; probably have insecurity issues to begin with.  If others laugh along, then it makes them feel empowered.

True.  Also, others feel they need to have the last say and many are just mean spirited and that's what they do and enjoy. 

I have an older sister who did such things.  Of course she never had friends, even to this day.  Her reason is she is just mean and enjoys being cruel.  I parted her toxic company years ago. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I am a nurse and while I was giving report to the oncoming nurse I heard a nurse's aide say to another nurses's aide that one of the patients had a 40 minute seizure (she meant to say 30 sec) and the aide that she said it to said really loud  said hey everyone so and so had a 40 minute seizure and was laughing. Well the aide that said  it looked so embarrassed and I feel that kind of outburst was not necessary and unprofessional. I felt so bad for the  aide but  by the time I got through with report the woman  had left but I will see her tonight.

Why do people love to humiliate other people I'll never know. Its just not nice!

Respected Contributor

Thank you soo much ladies for your honesty, and I do agree with all of you. Have a blessed day.

Honored Contributor

I think that for some, acting in negative ways like this is the only way they know how to feel better about themselves.  It's like the notion that pushing others down pulls them up.

OTOH, I had a mother who seemed to take some kind of glee in humiliating me in front of others (some of the things she made me do in front of people should have been against the law - including making me disrobe, at the age of 12-13, in front of a roomful of teenage boys).  In her case, I think it was a manifestation of her own self-loathing.  She hated herself so much that she manifested that upon me in numerous ways - humiliation was one of them.  

I guess she felt that if she humiliated me it must have taken some of her own humiliation off of her - or something twisted like that.

Generally, however, I think it just falls under the tent of people who know no other way to feel better about themselves, but to drag others down below them.  It's definitely sad, but also can be infuriating.  For most people I always just felt badly for them.  As to that mother-thing, I was only left with hatred, disrespect, and resentment for her.