Respected Contributor

Re: Wait time at the chiropractor......

@Jasmine19 wrote:

One thing I've learned after many years in health care.......never make an appointment for Monday morning. Most doctor's are inundated with patients who became sick or injured over the weekend. I don't even try to call for an appointment or results or anything else on Monday.

.......And always ask for the first appt AM or PM. remember there are probably several 1 pm appts. So be there early to be the first 1 pm appt. For example the Derm may have 6- 9am appts or 6 1pm appts. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I can only say that you are getting "the runaround". I know what I would do, but I don't mince words or my feelings. Why you ask? Because he obviously has enough patients that put up with it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I work in healthcare, too.  A big problem we have is people not showing up for their appointments, or showing up so late that they are in the next person's slot.

This is often what happens when the office is "backed up".

People come waltzing in half an hour or 45 minutes late, like its no big deal, and expect to be seen.

Very rarely do we make them re-appoint, because we really do need the business, and can't afford to make a patient angry.  But we find the more we allow it, the more they do it.  People honestly think its no big deal to show up late?

We also get many "no shows", so we never know if the person in the next slot is even going to show up.

Respected Contributor

The marketing concept is

If someone 'makes an appointment' they are banked $

People who walk-in are POTENTIAL $$, the retailer/provider has to capture them quickly before they lose the potential to 'convert' them a $$ client.

So the answer is "yes" walk-ins will be put before you.

The only recourse you have is to find a practice that values you and your time.

Honored Contributor

I don't think 30 minutes is a huge wait in today's world. . . I don't think you can expect a lot better than that at many doctors.  I don't think it will get better either.

Respected Contributor

I don't think 30 minutes is all that long to wait in a waiting room.  I feel it's my lucky day if I get called in within 15 minutes of the appointment time.

The reason the doctor said hello and handed you a gown is probably so he can charge you for an office visit on top of the xray.

Honored Contributor

When the doctor thought I had Lymphoma, he had me go have several tests Stat.  I had X-Rays, a Cat Scan and I can't remember what else but he (or his nurse) called the office where I was to go and I walked in, told them my name and walked in for the procedure ahead of all the patients waiting in the waiting room.  All this so that my doctor could have the results as soon as possible.  I wasn't really an emergency but in a way I was in that the doctor needed a diagnosis ASAP in order to start treatment ASAP.

I don't understand why a Chiropractor would take walk ins before appointments but maybe it's something along the same line? 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My dr. office has a urgent care and appointments at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

quite possibly, you weren't in pain, but maybe those coming in the door were. ??

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker,

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. How thoughless!!!

I couldn't operate that way!!