Super Contributor

Volunteer opportunites - Philadelphia area

Ok, so it looks like I am going to have some free time on my hands, and I do not like to be bored. 

I work a full time job- Mon thru Fri - but am looking to volunteer some of my time - passions are animals and children.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

When I look up volunteering websites, there is so much on there, it gets overwhelming.

Don't know where to start.

Appreciate the help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Volunteer opportunites - Philadelphia area

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Volunteer+Opportunities&find_loc=Philadelphia%2C+PA

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your interests are primarily animals and children, I'd check local animal shelters or rescues and local groups for children or libraries.

Visit the websites of local animal shelters or rescues and see if they have a Volunteer or Get Involved link on the page. If not, call them and see if they need help. Many do.

The main Girl Scouts page has a For Adults section that helps direct you to local volunteer opportunities. Local libraries may need volunteers to do arts and crafts or reading with kids - call and ask. Museums need volunteers to be docents, so you can call and ask if any in your area have programs for children that need volunteers. Big Brothers/Little Sisters are always looking for people to be Bigs to their Littles and there are also a lot of mentoring programs where you can work with children. You can also contact women's shelters to see if they need volunteers to help with activities for children.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick

OT

Where did you and your daughter end up having Thanksgiving dinner? (in NYC)

Honored Contributor

Since you work fulltime, your options are extremely limited.  But you might check with the school system.  Some schools have after school programs for the kids or working parents and they need volunteers for homework assistance or just to help out in general. 

Super Contributor

Oh - I forgot I had posted about Thanksgiving dinner.  We never did go into NYC.  We found a restaurant in our area and stayed home.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick

I am in Montco. Looks like I will have some extra time to volunteer starting this Spring. I am planning on working with Red Paw (which works in collaboration with Red Cross, focusing on disasters involving pets).

But there are lots of shelters that would love any help they can get!

Cindy

Edited to add: for Red Paw, you need have some background in emergency response.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

qvc chick wrote:

Ok, so it looks like I am going to have some free time on my hands, and I do not like to be bored. 

I work a full time job- Mon thru Fri - but am looking to volunteer some of my time - passions are animals and children.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

When I look up volunteering websites, there is so much on there, it gets overwhelming.

Don't know where to start.

Appreciate the help.

@qvc chick, I recently read about a program at some of our local animal shelters called "Paws to Read!" which encourages children to read books to shelter and therapy animals.    It not only aids childrens' reading skills but also actually calms animals and helps in socializing them for potential adoption or additional training.    This would combine your two passions and if you don't have any programs locally, you might even start one. 

Link for info:

http://www.pawstoread.com/about.html

eta:   I looked and see a similar program called "Paws for Reading" that's active in the Philadephia area. 

Link for info about the program:

http://www.pawsforpeople.org/paws-for-reading/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

Oh - I forgot I had posted about Thanksgiving dinner.  We never did go into NYC.  We found a restaurant in our area and stayed home.

After all the suggestions for a Thanksgiving trip, then Thanksgiving dinner in NYC, you ended up staying home?  I was looking forward to reading about your trip.

Respected Contributor

Children:  check your school district website.  Our school district has a section devoted to volunteers, and they are always seeking new ones.  There are all sorts of possibilites here, from as little to as much time as you want to donate.

Animals:  Local shelter.  Great place to start.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero