Super Contributor

Verizonwireless in Wilmington, North Carolina

Hi everyone! Does anyone live in or near Wilmington, North Carolina and have trouble with their cell phone reception via Verizonwireless? My son has moved from New York to  Wilmington and ever since, he's had the worst reception with his cell phone, not just in his apartment, but in and around the city. I've been down there visiting him and have experienced the same. 

Are there any suggestions besides switching carriers? We've had the same carrier for the longest time and would really like to stay with Verizon. 

Any help would be appreciated!  ☺️ Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Verizonwireless in Wilmington, North Carolina

Just wondering .... has he ever called VW customer service about this problem?

Respected Contributor

I'm rural - haven't had great service here ever.  However, back in December 2013 I was given the Verizon spiel about how, in a year they expected to have availalble 4G LTE everywhere.  Well, I'm still waiting.  I'm selling the house and will be moving back to civilization.  It may or may not be better but I hate internet and phone service being so slow or nonexistent out here. 

BTW, the other day I had "no service" on anything here and I read that wireless service (not just Verizon) was out for hours across the mid-Atlantic and places in the SW of the US.for a couple of hours.  Verizon is scheduled to go on strike and I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about anything getting done at all once that happens, 

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Just wondering .... has he ever called VW customer service about this problem?

Yes, he's called and they tried to get him to buy a signal booster for $ 200 , but that might only take care of the bad reception inside the apt., not in Wilmington itself. 

Esteemed Contributor

@connie0 wrote:

Hi everyone! Does anyone live in or near Wilmington, North Carolina and have trouble with their cell phone reception via Verizonwireless? My son has moved from New York to  Wilmington and ever since, he's had the worst reception with his cell phone, not just in his apartment, but in and around the city. I've been down there visiting him and have experienced the same. 

Are there any suggestions besides switching carriers? We've had the same carrier for the longest time and would really like to stay with Verizon. 

Any help would be appreciated!  ☺️ Thanks.

This is my Go to place for wireless, TV info etc http://www.dslreports.com/

Occasional Contributor

I live about 50 miles north of Wilmington on the coast.  Everyone in this area sings nothing but praises about Verizon being the best around.  A few people I know use Sprint and complain about losing signals in some local areas.  I have a cheap Net10 phone on the AT&T network and have very good reception everywhere but in my home.  I live in a low area surrounded by trees and have never had any reception here.  Friends on Verizon never have a problem receiving or placing calls at my home.   I guess it is a hit or miss depending on your location, but I am surprised with the Verizon problem in Wilmington, especially since they are suppose to be the #1 carrier in NC.  He might try another carrier since they usually have a lot of good incentives if you change over.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm frequently in the Wilmington area and have not had any issues. Re: Booster - my daughter lives in the mountains in NY and had to get that - great for inside of her house - don't think it does much outside though.