Respected Contributor

Re: Ugh, another all day garden show

@baker wrote:

I'm a gardener, but this all day is too much. I have had little success with anything I have bought in the past from the Q's offerings. I prefer to buy from local greenhouses, even Walmart.

I don't do WalMart, but I agree otherwise.  I can't say I don't like seeing some of their floral offerings. They are lovely, but I've tried their flowers and I know I can do much better locally. The plants suffer from packaging and shipping and often what I have received is barely alive when it comes. It might be better for us if they changed their "zones" for our area, because most of the time their shipping is well after we have already planted, and well into the season when the plants suffer in the heat of packaging and shipping trucks.  It just doesn't work for us here.

Respected Contributor

I live in a condo (townhouses) and the association does all the landscaping.  I have zero interest in gardening.  Even when I owned a house I bought plants and shrubs from a local nursery where I could return things if I had a problem. 

Freezing cold in NJ this weekend but I understand these shows are scheduled way in advance.  I'll find something else to do.

Trusted Contributor

Well, as slow as their shipping is these days, if you order now you might get it by spring.  😃

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Pat's doing it again - inviting folks to "buy as many as you want."  Gee, thank you.  This time, it's the plastic ivy screen.  Your neighbors will thank you when the leaves come off and are blowing around their yards and gardens like litter.

For what it's worth, I bought those ivy screens last year, the expanding bamboo and ivy.  I had a Kayak pool put in and I put these screens up around the base to hide the water walls and support structures.  Everyone who came over went gaga over those screens.  They've held up beautifully even with high wind days, snow, ice and rain and not a single ivy leaf has blown off.

Respected Contributor

Well, this weekend is one of the big local home and garden shows at the expo center, and it was quite crowded yesterday even with bitter temps and snow blowing off and on.

I enjoy going to the local shows and I enjoy watching some of the shows on the Q today.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

It is 8 degrees at my house this morning...I have zero inerest in gardening ideas and from what I saw there seems to be very little new, same old items from previous years.

And let us not miss that great HAMMOCK TSV?  The windchill here is 20 below zero. Hammock,ha!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@baker wrote:

I'm a gardener, but this all day is too much. I have had little success with anything I have bought in the past from the Q's offerings. I prefer to buy from local greenhouses, even Walmart.

After buying a few things each year from them and having little success...I buy local too.

Valued Contributor

I'm probably one of the rare few here that enjoys the gardening programming.
I've purchased  both from Cottage Farms and Roberta's and have had success which encourages me to experiment with other flowers and plants.
The sunpatiens are my favorite and do well for me so I've already pre-ordered them for spring.   Yes, it's frigid in my neck of the woods, too but it will be short lived and better weather is only a few weeks away.  For those of like mind, happy gardening!
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

Never watch:  Gardening or any outside products shows, cooking and kitchen shows, electronics shows, jewelry shows (used to when they had real jewelry), SG, Basso, LG (both of them), WEN, JR, or QF.  Also don't watch D&Co. when that male vendor is on.

That still leaves a lot, but I'm trying to wean myself off TV altogether during this political season. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Better then another day of beauty!