Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@World Traveler

(eta:  I've noticed when we try to use the "@" notification for your name, it keeps defaulting to @z-del -- you might want to contact the Q Team to fix that.   I have a feeling you're missing a lot of notifications.)

@dooBdoo I contacted QVC this morning and they are going to have their technology department take a look at what the problem is. It probably has something to do with the fact that I changed my original World Traveler to WorldTraveler for a time, and then didn't like it, and went back to my original two-word nickname. I probably messed it up somehow. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel - May Chat

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@World Traveler

(eta:  I've noticed when we try to use the "@" notification for your name, it keeps defaulting to @z-del -- you might want to contact the Q Team to fix that.   I have a feeling you're missing a lot of notifications.)

@dooBdoo I contacted QVC this morning and they are going to have their technology department take a look at what the problem is. It probably has something to do with the fact that I changed my original World Traveler to WorldTraveler for a time, and then didn't like it, and went back to my original two-word nickname. I probably messed it up somehow. Smiley Sad

@World Traveler

I'm pretty sure I know the reason it happens.  This happened with another poster, and once we figured it out the tech staff corrected it.    

When I do a search in the User file here, there's an old nickname which shows up like this:

N/A

(link to the user:  @z-del)

It appears that when the new forum was launched, the software took the inactive user accounts and kept them here (with no posts) and added the "N/A" after the name.   I think when we try to use the "@" with your name the software here "looks" at the user list and keeps defaulting to the "@z-del" account since it's the one immediately before yours (in the user list).  

I think if the tech staff would simply rename this inactive user it would fix the problem.  

(I'll tag a couple of the Q Team in case they want to pass this along:  @Eva-QVC, @Keyai, @Brittany-QVC)

Hope this gets corrected, whatever the cause.   Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@World Traveler

@World Traveler

I'm pretty sure I know the reason it happens.  This happened with another poster, and once we figured it out the tech staff corrected it.    

When I do a search in the User file here, there's an old nickname which shows up like this:

N/A

(link to the user:  @z-del)

It appears that when the new forum was launched, the software took the inactive user accounts and kept them here (with no posts) and added the "N/A" after the name.   I think when we try to use the "@" with your name the software here "looks" at the user list and keeps defaulting to the "@z-del" account since it's the one immediately before yours (in the user list).  

I think if the tech staff would simply rename this inactive user it would fix the problem.  

(I'll tag a couple of the Q Team in case they want to pass this along:  @Eva-QVC, @Keyai, @Brittany-QVC)

Hope this gets corrected, whatever the cause.   Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Smiley

@dooBdoo Oh, bet you are correct. thanks for tagging the powers that be. Hopefully it will get taken care of, and soon. Heart

Super Contributor

@dooBdoo and @World Traveler

I did some "tinkering" with that inactive account. Let me know if what I did fixed the issue with using the @ mention feature to alert World Traveler.

One thing I have learned in the new forum platform is the @ mention function works best for nicknames without a space.  Unfortunatelty I see there is already a World_Traveler in the system so if you wanted to remove the space I would recommend World-Traveler (dash).

As you will see all of the QVC Social Team uses 1st name and then <dash> QVC (no spaces).  The blog authors are setup with the underscore character to again remove spaces.  Example:  David_Venable  

It is not a requirement at this time to change your nickname, but it may make finding you via the @ mention feature a little easier.  

BTW - Your avatar is a perfect match for your nickname...well done.  <big smile>

Have a great rest of the week!

Honored Contributor

Hi @World Traveler

Thanks for including me.  I did say I was in favor of a travel forum, but I haven't traveled for some time (partially for physical reasons but mostly because I just don't want to leave my dog alone).  I do love hearing about it, though, and fully support the concept of a travel forum. 

Thanks for the thread.  Maybe one of these years I will have gone someplace new. 

And bon voyage to all our travelers!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I received a response from @Keyai about our request for a travel category on another thread with a travel shoutout to @NAES1. The bottom line is that we need to keep this thread (or similar ones) active so they will consider setting up a new category for us. It is really all up to us! Heart

Thanks for your post inquiring about the process to get additional forum categories added to the current list. My apologies for not responding to you sooner.

We generally try not to make too many changes to the category listing to allow Community members to get used to the structure of the forums. Especially with all of the changes that came with the new forum platform. However, a few times a year we review the traffic for each category to determine if the Community is using the category or if there is a new category that should be added that would support shopping discussions. As you know, there are categories in the Community that are not about shopping (i.e. Pet Lovers, Recipes, TV & Movies, etc.). Several non-shopping categories were created many years ago and continue to receive a good amount of activity today. There are a lot of categories currently which is another big consideration we have to make when reviewing the possibility of adding more to the list. Having a long list of categories can create many small pockets of conversations and might create confusion or intimidate new members of the Community. One great way to get your travel category considered would be to start a monthly discussion so we can see if other forum members would enjoy that topic as much as you do. Seeing an active thread will help us determine if the topic should be added to the already long list of categories.

We always appreciate when suggestions are posted in the Suggestion Box category from customers like yourself seeking to make the QVC forums better.

@dooBdoo @itsmagic @Juniebugz @AuberriJean @newziesuzie @GingerPeach @adoreqvc

Honored Contributor

@Keyai-QVC wrote:

@I did some "tinkering" with that inactive account. Let me know if what I did fixed the issue with using the @ mention feature to alert World Traveler.

@One thing I have learned in the new forum platform is the @ mention function works best for nicknames without a space.  Unfortunatelty I see there is already a World_Traveler in the system so if you wanted to remove the space I would recommend World-Traveler (dash).

As you will see all of the QVC Social Team uses 1st name and then <dash> QVC (no spaces).  The blog authors are setup with the underscore character to again remove spaces.  Example:  David_Venable  

@It is not a requirement at this time to change your nickname, but it may make finding you via the @ mention feature a little easier.  

BTW - Your avatar is a perfect match for your nickname...well done.  <big smile>

@Keyai Oh, thanks! Although I prefer no hyphen, if it will work so others can notify me more easily, then I will do it. Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel - May Chat

[ Edited ]

@Keyai-QVC wrote:

@I did some "tinkering" with that inactive account. Let me know if what I did fixed the issue with using the @ mention feature to alert World Traveler.

@One thing I have learned in the new forum platform is the @ mention function works best for nicknames without a space.  Unfortunatelty I see there is already a World_Traveler in the system so if you wanted to remove the space I would recommend World-Traveler (dash).

@It is not a requirement at this time to change your nickname, but it may make finding you via the @ mention feature a little easier.  

Testing... @World Traveler

It's working a little better, but at times if I type the "@" and select the nickname from the pop-up, then if I try to space, or type any letters or characters after@ that nickname, it reverts back to plain text instead of a notification.  Like this...  @World Traveler (I entered a space and the notification changed from an active one to plain text).   A very weird glitch which I'm not sure I explained very well.   I totally agree about the spaces in nickname -- they do make it much harder to get the correct name and for it to be an active link.

Thanks, @Keyai, as always, for such great help!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Hi @World Traveler

Thanks for including me.  I did say I was in favor of a travel forum, but I haven't traveled for some time (partially for physical reasons but mostly because I just don't want to leave my dog alone).  I do love hearing about it, though, and fully support the concept of a travel forum. 

Thanks for the thread.  Maybe one of these years I will have gone someplace new. 

And bon voyage to all our travelers!

@GingerPeach Thanks for the post. I certainly understand about leaving the dog alone. I have two rescue dogs right now. I make sure someone is always at the house with them. Although I know I could leave enough food for them, they love the attention they get when someone is staying at the house, talking with them throughout the day.

I also have a neat spout hooked up to a faucet in the patio that allows them to just touch it and water comes out. They love not only to get their drink that way, but stand under it to get a mini bath during the summer! ha!

Even though you don't travel, I bet you have suggestions for places to go. So if you feel so inclined, please don't hesitate to throw out those ideas to the rest of us. Many of the places I have visited were entirely due to someone casually mentioning it to me. And I love to pick up travel magazines for ideas too.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Keyai-QVC wrote:

Testing... @World Traveler

It's working a little better, but at times if I type the "@" and select the nickname from the pop-up, then if I try to space, or type any letters or characters after@ that nickname, it reverts back to plain text instead of a notification.  Like this...  @World Traveler (I entered a space and the notification changed from an active one to plain text).   A very weird glitch which I'm not sure I explained very well.   I totally agree about the spaces in nickname -- they do make it much harder to get the correct name and for it to be an active link.

Thanks, @Keyai, as always, for such great help!

@dooBdoo I got that notification.