Honored Contributor

@lulu2 Hi! St. Barts....how great for you! If you get a chance, please let us know what you did while there. I have never been to St. Barts, but I hear it is a great place to relax. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

I wish I could say we did something exciting.  Seriously we just relaxed.  While I'm retired, my husband is not  St. Barths is lovely but truthfully think there are prettier Caribbean islands. It is very French.  There are no big hotels on the island.  We didn't know when we booked that the St. Barth Music Festival would be taking place while we were there.  So, there was an interesting group of guests at our hotel. (which at one time was the hangout for the Howard Hughes, among other Hollywood notables)

Nice, but I do not think we'll be returning.

Hope you are well, and happy new year.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Travel Chat

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@Alter Ego How very cool to see bald eagles in the state park! Lucky you! I've seen eagles, but not that type. If you get a chance, please post a photo of them. That would be neat. Smiley Happy

I have not been to a Travel and Adventure show. Now THAT is a great idea. When you get a moment, please let us know if there is a trend in travel for this year. You mentioned that you will get a lot of catalogs, and I would be interested in knowing if there are any particular areas the industry is highlighting or encouraging people to go to.

Do the speakers tend to focus on WHERE to go when you travel, or do they talk about travel tips, things to always take, etc.? You mentioned Samantha Brown and so I assume her talk would include her luggage somehow.

I am eager to hear back from you!

I just updated my post on message 1402 with a few eagle photos. They were far away and I don't have a great camera, but I think turned out okay.  I never get good photos of birds in flight, but I'm pretty impressed with what I was able to capture.

Had a good time at the Travel Show - so much that I've completely changed my idea for my year-end trip!  Will post more about it when I have a bit more time - sorry for delay.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Awesome photos! Thanks. I think they were excellent shots, so you don't have to feel they weren't good. The eagles were clearly visible, particularly the one of the eagle just sitting on the limb. I love that one! Smiley Happy

Also looking forward to when you have time to tell us about the travel show, particularly because you "completely changed" your idea for your end of the year trip. Must have been some pretty fantastic ideas to make you do an about-face on your plans. Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Day1128 I found your post about cruising on an Among Friends thread interesting to read. Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your first cruise ever, and to go to Hawaii for your first cruise, what a great choice! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and did a lot of things. Thanks for mentioning Cruise Critic website as a source of reviews. Great information! Smiley Happy

@fenway I read on the thread that was posted on cruising that you used to be a travel agent for many year and are now retired. You mentioned that one of the best cruises was RCCL out of Mexico; and you also love Norwegian Cruise Line. Sometime if you get a chance and would like to do so, we would love to hear from you about some great tips on cruising. Because of your experience, you could probably write a book. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew I read on another thread that you and your husband love to cruise and that you enjoyed snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaii. Have you ever snorkeled in other places, like Australia, etc.? 

Snorkeling is not one of the things that I have done a lot of. Perhaps I am missing out on something by not going to the right place to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Nancy Drew I read on another thread that you and your husband love to cruise and that you enjoyed snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaii. Have you ever snorkeled in other places, like Australia, etc.? 

Snorkeling is not one of the things that I have done a lot of. Perhaps I am missing out on something by not going to the right place to do it.

We will probably not make it to Australia. DH has already been and I have about 8 places on my list before Australia. We have been snorkeling on Oahu but it was not as nice as the Big Island.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew Australia is a long trip, right? I haven't been there, but @Alter Ego really enjoyed it on her recent trip. That completed her goal to visit every continent!

Are those eight places on your list great for snorkeling or just places you want to see for other reasons?

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN Hi! I noted your post on a thread about cruising and how Hawaii is a place you enjoy. I haven't been there for many years and was curious what makes it your favorite vacation destination. Is it the weather, activities you do there, the people, or some other reason that makes it high on your list of places to go?

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN Hi! I noted your post on a thread about cruising and how Hawaii is a place you enjoy. I haven't been there for many years and was curious what makes it your favorite vacation destination. Is it the weather, activities you do there, the people, or some other reason that makes it high on your list of places to go?

Hi World Traveler,

I love the weather, I am from the Midwest, so our winters can be brutal...So 1st of all love the weather! I also love each of the islands that I have been to for different reasons. I love Honolulu for all of the shopping and activities and great beaches, I love Maui for the mountains, beaches and great food. I love the big island for the volcano, quietness and beautiful and usually less crowded beaches......Maui is probably our favorotie island though, and we would love to get to Kuaui...Love all of the fragrant flowers too,and the people are very friendly there as well........