Honored Contributor

Re: This is too funny ... new "guy" on the street!!!

@chrystaltree

Why didn't I know this sooner when I caved and said "yes to paradise!" 

I'm so chuckling at your comment because that's exactly what it was like when I "visited" friends of my spouse from work (BUT then again, they were spouse retired (duh) already + 15 years older🙄)

-- lots of people my age I thought (at that time 52) -- then reality set in .... omg they were visitors too!!!

Then again to put it in perspective - I took retirement at 47.

spouse retired at 46 then he worked another job for 10 years. In reality, traditionally one retires at 60-70 the community is 20 years old so most would be older based on this.

Although,  the community is starting to turnover slowly as many people dying or moving to assisted living/family. I get my social time while I'm at the pool where I enjoy reading and I have met some new people - funny they have the same thought!

I feel lucky because I have a beautiful home, good health, sunny days, travel whenever I want & visit family often. Spouse is happy to stay home & golf! It works for us, thank god or I would be in "looney bin"!

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2

Thank you! I really don't watch too much tv (except Q😉😳) I completely forgot about that show!!! Yup -- today's a busy day on our street!!! Lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@AKgirl2

Thank you! I really don't watch too much tv (except Q😉😳) I completely forgot about that show!!! Yup -- today's a busy day on our street!!! Lol

@homedecor1 ~ some lighthearted entertainment for sure!

🏃🏻  🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

I used to work part time in an over 50 retirement community and those women (widowed and divorced) were something else.  The wife would not even be dead yet when they started jockeying for position.  Talk about "Desperate Housewives"!

Honored Contributor

My favorite uncle, who was like my father, was widowed in his late 70's (no children). He was 100% Irish, with a full head of white hair and beautiful blue eyes, and he was very fit. He lived a long way from us, but I tried to go up as much as I could. I went up the year after my aunt died, opened the refrigerator and couldn't believe all the casseroles I saw! He had always been able to cook and had a fantastic garden, but something told me he hadn't made them. Nearby was a stack of "dishes I need to return." While I was there some lady he knew "stopped by with some muffins she had made." He was still hurting, so I didn't tease him about it. But I definitely saw what was going on. 

He never dated again. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne

You are right about that!!!! They seems to put the "moves on" quickly!

I had the nicest neighbor when I first moved here & was renting. He was about 89 and had a nice sick wife - he took such good care of her. They had 1 son who died very young. He was CEO of a big engineering firm she was a neurologist...they had some $$$$.

Fast forward, she died in May, 2010 poor soul was lost. Started going to "grief counseling" after 3 times he met a nice "widow" (her husband died in Feb) - then he took ill & fell was put in rehab/assisted living center.  He definitely was showing first stages of dimentia.  She visited him everyday....you guessed it in April, 2011 he asked my husband to be his

"best man" 😳What!!!!!

They married and talk about going from trailer to a palace we said she hit the jackpot! Her family is less than desirable (sorry to say - 2 kids in jail, etc.)

First thing, she cut him off from his niece who used to stay with him. She was put out, they traveled 7 months around the world for their honeymoon. Upon return she had the house completely redone, got a new Mercedes, and changed the phone #.   she was good to him but very active while he sat home.

He died about 15 months later - he wasn't dead 3 months she met a new man.  She is happily living large off his assets. 

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine chasing an 80 year old man. But I never say never. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@scatcat

me neither but this guy is "young" 67! He's leaving to go home 4/20 they better work fast😉!!

Trusted Contributor

Men do this stuff too. After my dad passed it seemed every time mom went to the cemetery she would be approached by a widowed man.

Respected Contributor

@home decor, you have me grinning: did you ever read Benjamin Franklin's essay written to his son concerning the virtues of older women?

GO COUGARS!

Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2