Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things to see in Savannah and Charlston ???

[ Edited ]

Some things to do in Charleston: Bus Tour of the city, Magnolia Plantation, Middleton Plantation (Lunch) its by Drayton Hall,Edmonston Alston House/Nathaniel Russell Houses, Rainbow Row

Eats: Fig, Amen, Hanks, SNOB, Magnolia's, High Cotton, Hominy Grill

Take a Ghost Tour

Wadmalaw Island, SC

Honored Contributor

Is the Pirate's House still there?  I don't know why, but I had the most fun there.  It's very cheesy, that's probably why I loved it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@nanny24

Way back when I went, the quietly hidden famous place was "Aunt Somebody's Kitchen.) (Paula Dean?)

You had to have reservations it was family style and you walked downstairs into a brick building to dine 

@LTT1

You may be thinking of Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House, great Southern food and a Savannah tradition for many, many years!

She ran a boarding house for sailors who came into the port on ships and provided a huge home cooked meal. It continued as a restaurant after that time, still run by her family.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Is the Pirate's House still there?  I don't know why, but I had the most fun there.  It's very cheesy, that's probably why I loved it.

@VaBelle35

Yes, it is! With Pirates in the dungeons and all, LOL!

It's still a hugely popular tourist attraction in the downtown area, kids love it and the food is great!

ETA: @VaBelle35

Us locals still love to go there too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Thanks!  When I travel, I like a good cheesy ghost tour and stuff like the Pirate House.  It breaks up the dry historical stuff and the shopping ;o)

My favorite ghost tour was in St. Augustine Florida.  My tour guide was so funny.  We had a great time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Oh, Ladies, thanks a bunch! So much to see and do. Love the plantations, and hope to visit a few of those.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24

If you're a nature lover, Oatland Island is one island over from Wilmington Island (5 minutes) and home to the Oatland Island Educational Center.

They have a nature reserve with many animals in their natural habitat, that you experience through a walking trail.

Here's a link to their site, mark sure you click on the tabs for "Animals' to see which animal live here and 'Events' to see what they have planned.

They work a lot with our schools and educating kids about wildlife.

In the fall they do a sheep shearing (they have sheep) and show how the wool is prepared and spun (my MIL is a 'spinner') and made into scarves, etc.

http://internet.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/schools/oat/default.aspx

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 Back from Charleston a bit towards Georgetown is the most charming little village called McClellanville. It is just of 17 and worth spending the day for nature and beauty. Some of the most beautiful trees I have ever seen!

There is a small museum that is a delight and when the fishing boats are coming in you can almost reach out and touch the dolphins from the pier. T.W. Grahams is the only restaurant in the village but you do want to have a meal there.

You are also only about an hour away from Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach and they are magnificient! 

Enjoy! Lots to see and do in the area. Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Thanks!  When I travel, I like a good cheesy ghost tour and stuff like the Pirate House.  It breaks up the dry historical stuff and the shopping ;o)

My favorite ghost tour was in St. Augustine Florida.  My tour guide was so funny.  We had a great time.

@VaBelle35

We have several ghost tours of homes and colonial era cemeteries where paranormal activity has been recorded by paranormal 'experts', you'd love it

BTW, the Pirate's House is one of them!

http://www.the-line-up.com/most-haunted-places-in-savannah/

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@nanny24

Way back when I went, the quietly hidden famous place was "Aunt Somebody's Kitchen.) (Paula Dean?)

You had to have reservations it was family style and you walked downstairs into a brick building to dine 

In Savannah there is Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House where you sit at a big table with lots of people and the food is passed around. Southern Cooking and very good when I went.