Super Contributor

Things to see in Savannah and Charlston ???

Taking a trip to these cities, and would like 'must-see" ideas. Is there anything to do/see on Wilmington Island?  Tybee Island? Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Things to see in Savannah and Charlston ???

You are going to Charleston SC? I used to live near there and is a wonderful place to visit, good food, historic places like The Battery, Ft Sumter. historic houses, museums, many shops and divine architect. Also I loved going to see the Hunley which was stored in a military base and was the Confederate Submarine. Interesting seeing its restoration. I have been wanting to go to Savannah sometime. I never get tired of going to Charleston SC and plenty there to see and do there. Get a tourist map and enjoy!!! Also can look up on net Things to do in Charleston SC. I really LOVE that place and really miss living there. Have a wonderful time.

Super Contributor

Charleston is such a beautiful city, so much to see and do. I think you would love doing the tour...you board the horse drawn carriages down by the marketplace. The marketplace is pretty interesting as well....Have fun, its a neat little city. One of my favorite restaurants is California Dreamin..its on the water..haven't been there in years...the portions are huge and very hearty. Hope that helps.

Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Oh this is a good one too and rated. Did I say I liked Charleston SC? LOL

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Activities-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

Honored Contributor

@nanny24

I loved Wilmington and missed the outer banks (big mistake)

Savannah I visited quite a few times.

It was, for me, a place that became more interesting the more I went.

There was a famous, but not unduly publicized restaurant ... I will try to get the name.

A book of updated tourist information would be wise since everything changes.

I remember, too, thinking it was a strange place, being laid out in squares -- and then it became charming to me! 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24, do the city tour of Savannah.  Take a sweater in the cooler months.  enjoy!  LM

Trusted Contributor

As far as Tybee Island Ga can go to Fort Pulaski, Cockspur Lighthouse built in 1855 on an oyster bed foundation, Tybee Marine Science Center,

The Tybee Pier & Pavilionis located just off U.S. Highway 80 at the end of Tybrisa Street. Great location for fishing and people watching. Little Tybee, owned by the state of Georgia, is an uninhabited barrier island lying just to the south of Tybee Island. It is made up of salt marsh interspersed with hardwood hammocks and fronts the Atlantic Ocean with pristine beaches. It is an undisturbed nature preserve with no hotels or other dwellings on the island, but camping is allowed. Built on a stretch of the Savannah & Atlantic Railroad line, the 6-mile McQueen’s Island Trail offers a salt-air excursion for nature lovers and history buffs alike. Built in 1887, the railroad carried passengers from Savannah to Tybee Island, a popular turn-of-the-century beach resort. A highway to the island was built in 1923, leading to the demise of the railroad.

IS all I know about Tybee Island

Honored Contributor

Hi @nanny24!

I live on Wilmington Island and there isn't much to 'see' here. Tybee Island is only about 2 miles away and is our beach on the Atlantic.

Besides the beach and pier,  there are many shops, restaurants, etc. The Crab Shack is a very popular one for seafood.

But you're only 10 minutes away from our Historic District and there's tons to see there historically!

Juliette Gordon Low House (creator of the Girl Scouts), The Jepson Center for the Arts and Savannah College of Arts and Designs (SCAD) is here, which is one of the most prestigious Arts academies in the nation.

They have done an amazing job of restoring historic buildings in the downtown area.

On River St., made of cobblestones and lined with shops, restaurants, etc. that are made into the old cotton warehouses on the waterfront.

There is great architecture and lots of historic places, monuments and fountains.

The downtown Historic district is made up of squares with trees, benches and azaleas, it's really beautiful when they're blooming!

No matter what you like to do, I'm sure you'll find something here you like!

HTH and welcome to or city!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@nanny24

Way back when I went, the quietly hidden famous place was "Aunt Somebody's Kitchen.) (Paula Dean?)

You had to have reservations it was family style and you walked downstairs into a brick building to dine 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~