Respected Contributor

Re: The Valentines Day Thing

@dex wrote:

Hey I have been married 40 years and never a valentines gift...I told my DH that other men are buying nice things and he said"I am not changing what works"....that man?!Enjoy your gifts and more importanty the  gift of love and happiness.

He thinks that's working?!?  Wait until you tell him about your boyfriend!!!  eyes popping.gif

Respected Contributor

One year I received a Valentine Card from my dog.  It said "Will You Be My Person."  He was just a puppy then and very protective of me ... still is.  I still have that card and my puppy is now 14 years old and not doing well.  I'd give anything to have that puppy back healthy and active.Cat Sad

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

Valentines day , I invite close friends and family here and I decorate the place inside and out side with hearts that light up and make a collection of different foods that are red and white. We sit around talk and laugh snack on what ever and everyone leaves hope fully with a good memory of the day. My husband passed away years ago so I do what I do just so the people around me have a memory of Valentines Day. Right now every thing is decorated and my windows all have lighted hearts so that the younger kids in the neighborhood can enjoy the lights and so can this older lady living in this home.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

That's really odd that your friends would react that way. Nobody I hang around with has that attitude. If I were you, I'd question my friendship with them. True friends are always very happy for friends when good things (i.e. kindess) come to them.

They are not friends, they are work associates. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@dex wrote:

Hey I have been married 40 years and never a valentines gift...I told my DH that other men are buying nice things and he said"I am not changing what works"....that man?!Enjoy your gifts and more importanty the  gift of love and happiness.

He thinks that's working?!?  Wait until you tell him about your boyfriend!!!  eyes popping.gif

Too funny!  I'd tell min boyfriendsSssss

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Hi Love Roses,

Valentines day is our anniversary. I picked that day to add some happy memories in my life. Until our wedding day, Valentines day for me brought a lot of sadness.

I have never and will never let any negative people, of any age, change what and how I feel on Valentines Day, February the 14th. Those types of people are totally and completely irrelevant in my life,

hckynut(john)

Thanks for your kind words John  Females can be nasty to one another.  On Valentines Day, we celebrate something else too.  We made that day the birthdays of our rescue cats as we don't know their actual birthdays.  Everyone here is celebrated and honored. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear Males aren't the mosty romantic creatures at times.  We just imagine they are because we are raised hearing and reading fairy tales. 

@Karnerblue Thanks for your sharing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think some people just get sad on V Day. That can come out as bitter. Enjoy your day as you can't change their day anyway. I love V day and hubby knows it so he always comes through. Sometimes it is a big to do and other times it is a little sweet to do. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Some women can sure be strange.  OP, I am sure these same work associates would critique any gift giving event, ie., birthday or Christmas.

Back in the day when I worked, we all would ooh and aah whenever one of our fellow employees got flowers.  The only comments most of us made were how beautiful the flowers were and how we wished our significant others would have flowers delivered to work for us.  There were a few negative nellies, but these women were just negative in general.

I basically quit wondering what motivates some people.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Sorry you are getting that reaction.  My crowd doesn't even talk about V Day, one way or another - it is such a non-issue. Your experience is so strange -- it is like something out of high school or a Real Housewives episode. 

Why would you say that?  It's insulting.  It's also not something strange, I have the same kind of celebration with my husband.

@Noel7, I mean the reaction the OP is getting from others -- the envy and snide comments.  Not the OP's experience herself.

@Peaches McPhee

• Thank you for clearing that up.  I am sorry I didn't get it right the first time!