Valued Contributor

Suggestions for "thank you" Gift Basket for a Man

Several of us are wanting to make a gift basket for a great principal that is leaving our school system.  We were thinking about goodies like candy, popcorn, etc.; however, we've come to find out he's diabetic.  Any suggestions, other than the obvious.  I'm needing some creative ideas.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions for "thank you" Gift Basket for a Man

Golf balls.

Movie tickets.

Variety of $5 or $10 gift cards to lots of different fun places.

Season pass at the local state park.

Baseball tickets.

Subscription to a magazine that is about your town/state.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Depending on your budget for the gift basket you might include:

TeaCoffee

Fresh Fruit

Mug

Cheese & Crackers

Summer Sausage/Salami

Small Cutting Board

Starbucks Card

Trail Mix (nuts/dried fruit)

Gourmet Popcorn

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think a good gift for his "position" would be tickets to something going on in your area. Also, some sort of scrap book, he can take out some day and relive some good memories. People can write or sign in on the book, things that will have a special meaning to him and create a memory. His family could enjoy that too, and throw in some pictures if you have some. Create a memory.

Valued Contributor

These are all good suggestions.  Maybe you could find a small cooler of some type to put all the goodies in.  I have one that is just the right size for lunch and the top pops apart to put a can of pop in.  They have collapsable ones now also.  That would be something small he could carry insulin in if he is insuline-dependent.  He could also put in fruit juice or pop if he has to grab something with sugar in it quickly

cookin

Honored Contributor

As a diabetic, I eat goodies like candy and popcorn, and still keep my A1c in check.    Controlling diabetes involves more than indulging in sweets, and is our personal responsibility.   I think the gift basket is a great idea, and am thinking along the lines of coffee and coffee mugs, his favorite cookies and snacks, gift cards, etc.  

Several years ago when a management level work friend retired, a group of us chipped in and paid for a weekend getaway at her favorite state park.  The reservations office at the park worked with us, and we prepaid the room charges, then presented our friend with the documentation she had to use when making her reservation.   We had enough cash leftover to pay for a nice dinner at the restaurant there as well.   I think it was one of the best retirement gifts I ever contributed to.    

Honored Contributor

My father was a principal of an elementary school.  When he retired, the teachers and students gave him a banner.  It was probably 12 feet long.  The kids drew pictures and the teachers signed it.  He loved it.  He kept it for 25 years, until he passed away.  They also gave him an engraved silver mug.  It could have been pewter, I haven't seen it in years.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

Several of us are wanting to make a gift basket for a great principal that is leaving our school system.  We were thinking about goodies like candy, popcorn, etc.; however, we've come to find out he's diabetic.  Any suggestions, other than the obvious.  I'm needing some creative ideas.  Thanks.

@patticakes

Is he leaving to go to another school system, or is he retiring?

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.