Trusted Contributor

Re: Speaking of manners from another thread..do you

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Do you say "excuse me" if you are grocery shopping and have to walk in front of someone who is looking at some shelf, that you will be walking in front of? I think that's only polite. I am compelled to do this, not everyone does. I am speaking for me not someone who does or doesn't do this.

Kind of like do you use your blinkers on the car, to make turns on side streets?

Always.  If someone is in my way I would not dream of being rude or impolite.  Saying excuse me will let the person I want to get around them and have never had a problem.

It's automatic from childhood upbringing.  And as far as using turn signals, I try always to  since I sure appreciate it when other drivers do the same ! 

Respected Contributor

Of course.

Honored Contributor

When walking on a sidewalk my DH and I will walk single file to pass another group coming towards us....but if the group is young they often will not follow suit.They have bumped and elbowed us as we pass.I guess they expect us to get off the sidewalk rather than share it.I don't know how it would turn out if we didn't get off to the edge in single file but it seems we would just be plowed through.

Honored Contributor

'Around here', lots of texting walkers who never seem to look up while walking on sidewalks.  So, yes we have to step onto the street so they won't walk right into us.  Very common.  That's just the way it is.  Same with drivers, although they snap out of it when other drivers 'honk' at them when they're driving erratically. (Slowing down, then speeding up over and over again while texting, etc.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).