Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of manners from another thread..do you

I always do as well.

And I  don't get bent out of shape about people having their cart on one side and them standing on the other side of the aisle as long as I can see they are concentrating and focusing on the shopping. The aisles are rather narrow, and the carts getting bigger every year, so the space is rather limited to begin with. 

What I do get a little fussy about is when the store is busy, and two shoppers (or often groups of shoppers) are clogging the aisles while visiting, with no room to get through, then have no idea anyone else is around and trying to keep moving. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do say "excuse me" passing in front of someone, yes!  And mostly I get very confused looks back.  I am not sure why.  I was raised in small town and have lived in the city for 20 yrs now. Using blinkers and saying "excuse me" are hardly used in this particular city, at least.  I think part of that is that many people are very involved with their phones and the conversations they are having in stores, or in their cars, that they are not truly paying attention.  Another part is just the way people are raised, manners are not as much of a priority because, I think in part, due to the above as well.  I also agree @Mominohio comments as well about the layouts of stores and the sizes of carts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same holds true at the check out line too.  If I'm ready to get in line and someone is hovering around to maybe get in line too, I ALWAYS ASK if they're getting in the check out line or not.

I HATE when someone just barges right in in front of me.  That's just rude!  Many times if someone has less than I have, I'll always have them go in front of me.

Honored Contributor

And.....it's NOT a new phenonomen.    I remember going grocery shopping with my ma toward the end of WW2..........and watching women FIGHTING in the aisles over items (like butter and sugar) that were controlled by  rationing "coupons".    And I mean on the floor punching and tearing hair.........................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I always say excuse me, even if the other person is clearly blocking the aisle.

What I can't stand is when the whole family comes to the grocery store, Mom,Dad and 3 or more kids OR when people come to the beach on vacation and they have to ALL come to the grocery store together. They stand around talking, on their phones and just being in the way. Grrrrrrrrrr. It is hard to be nice when you are in a grocery store full of idiots. LOL Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Trusted Contributor

Yes I always do.

Don't laugh at me now but I bunked into my kitchen counter one day and found myself saying excuse me.  

Honest that is the truth.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

@Jamma wrote:

Yes I always do.

Don't laugh at me now but I bunked into my kitchen counter one day and found myself saying excuse me.  

Honest that is the truth.

Jamma

I've done something like too after a sneeze. You look around and go, no one's here.

Respected Contributor

Of course.  Or if people or their carts are blocking the aisle.  What I find interesting is how many times I say excuse me and they look at you expecting to be asked a question.  No - just move lol.

Honored Contributor

Always.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I do.  If nothing else, I'm very polite.  I even say excuse me to my dog when I need to step over him or in front of him or whatever.  Woman Very Happy