Valued Contributor

I also know a family that didn't encourage any of their 5 homeschooled children to attend college. Their ages run from 20-35. Everyone of them live at home and are single. They all have jobs but cannot afford to get their own place. Dad is not college educated but the mom is. Dad was the only breadwinner. They are a wonderful family with different lifetime goals. 

Honored Contributor

Re: So many homeless

[ Edited ]

I definitely agree that isn't the only problem.  I singled that out because several people spoke about it (i.e. starting adult life already deep in debt because of student loans).

Look, I also know about mental illness.  My aunt I lived with from the time I was 3 months old until I was around 12 was mentall ill.  Back then actual men in white coats would come and take her to the mental hospital and give her electric shock theraphy and she'd be back home.  It would be repeated over and over.  She'd never been married and lived with us.  She had OCD and lots of other things people know about now but back then they didn't have names.

It is downright stupid for any of us to lay blame on any one particular thing.  As I said, I believe there are people with more information than I have that are better at solving the problem.  Unfortunately, nothing seems to be done about it but talk, talk, talk......

It's like so many other things in this country, overlooked and swept under the rug.  Instead of celebrities telling who to vote for why don't they go in front of TV cameras and march for people who can't speak for themselves.

We are such a wonderful country, it doesn't make sense.  Instead of honoring our military, we allow them to be homeless, etc.

I think they should have free health care, but the best.  Those who have lost limbs should (for free) have their homes modified to make it easier for them.  On and on, don't get me started.

We send all of this money to other countries (do you guys realize how much money we send to other countries) and yet we have so much need here....it is down right stupid!

Look at these statistics:http://nchv.org/index.php/news/media/background_and_statistics

Who are homeless veterans?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) states that the nation’s homeless veterans are predominantly male, with roughly 9% being female. The majority are single; live in urban areas; and suffer from mental illness, alcohol and/or substance abuse, or co-occurring disorders. About 11% of the adult homeless population are veterans.

Roughly 45% of all homeless veterans are African American or Hispanic, despite only accounting for 10.4% and 3.4% of the U.S. veteran population, respectively.

Homeless veterans are younger on average than the total veteran population. Approximately 9% are between the ages of 18 and 30, and 41% are between the ages of 31 and 50. Conversely, only 5% of all veterans are between the ages of 18 and 30, and less than 23% are between 31 and 50.

America’s homeless veterans have served in World War II, the Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Persian Gulf War, Afghanistan and Iraq (OEF/OIF), and the military’s anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America. Nearly half of homeless veterans served during the Vietnam era. Two-thirds served our country for at least three years, and one-third were stationed in a war zone.

About 1.4 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.

How many homeless veterans are there?

Although flawless counts are impossible to come by – the transient nature of homeless populations presents a major difficulty – the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) estimates that 39,471 veterans are homeless on any given night.

Approximately 12,700 veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation New Dawn (OND) were homeless in 2010. The number of young homeless veterans is increasing, but only constitutes 8.8% of the overall homeless veteran population.

Why are veterans homeless?

In addition to the complex set of factors influencing all homelessness – extreme shortage of affordable housing, livable income and access to health care – a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and substance abuse, which are compounded by a lack of family and social support networks. Additionally, military occupations and training are not always transferable to the civilian workforce, placing some veterans at a disadvantage when competing for employment.

A top priority for homeless veterans is secure, safe, clean housing that offers a supportive environment free of drugs and alcohol.

Doesn’t VA take care of homeless veterans?

To a certain extent, yes. Each year, VA’s specialized homelessness programs provide health care to almost 150,000 homeless veterans and other services to more than 112,000 veterans. Additionally, more than 40,000 homeless veterans receive compensation or pension benefits each month.

Since 1987, VA’s programs for homeless veterans have emphasized collaboration with such community service providers to help expand services to more veterans in crisis. VA, using its own resources or in partnerships with others, has secured nearly 15,000 residential rehabilitative and transitional beds and more than 30,000 permanent beds for homeless veterans throughout the nation. These partnerships are credited with reducing the number of homeless veterans by 70% since 2005. More information about VA homeless programs and initiatives can be found here.

I forgot to add that the soldier you saw marching at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier wasn't but could have been my late husband as he, as a member of the Honor Guard, did things like that.  They take that very seriously, I know.

Honored Contributor

Let's just face it folks, it's survival of the fittest , this is nothing new. My sons friend just got her doctorate and her school loan is 800 dollars a month. The sad thing is, even though her starting salary is good it will take her 10 years without any glitches to pay this off.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Once again I agree with you...I can't understand why we don't look after our own first especially those who serve to protect their country and keep us safe.I wish that we could make extra effort to ensure that our military men and women have all of their health and well being needs met for the rest of their lives...who else has earned that right more than someone willing to give their life for their country.

Esteemed Contributor

People need to fact the fact and realize that a college/university degree DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU A JOB. 

I help the vets, seniors, and some of those who are productive humans who have fallen on bad times. 

The Bums of America - NO! 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Let's just face it folks, it's survival of the fittest , this is nothing new. My sons friend just got her doctorate and her school loan is 800 dollars a month. The sad thing is, even though her starting salary is good it will take her 10 years without any glitches to pay this off.

My son's loan is $600 per month and very doable while living at home and being single. Now years later he is married with two little girls and he is definitely feeling it. He only has a few years left so the end is in sight for him.It would never even cross his mind to not pay. He is grateful it was an option for him. He also took the ten year plan to pay it back. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think everyone needs a college degree or wants one.  I do think a person needs some kind of schooling/training for whatever they want to do.

If they want to work on heat pumps, they'll need to get training, same thing with working on cars (which much of it requires some kind of computer knowledge, etc).

That is what I am saying.  These jobs require skill and knowledge, that's where the education comes in.  There are a lot of schools that give some credit hours toward knowledge already gained.  However, you still have to get added education for whatever it is.

I believe gone are the days when you can just get out of high school and do something that requires any kind of skill (most things are a little more complicated than that).

In our family we've always gone by the motto of why work for others when you can work for yourself.  Both of my sons-in-law own their own companies.  My late husband owned several different companies.  You work harder, but the money is what you made.

It isn't easy starting out, but the benefits far outweigh the other.  I realize not everyone wants to own his or her own company.  That works too, but I still say some kind of training is required no matter what is done.

I like programs that give Vets a choice (without making them pay) to go to some kind of school to learn whatever they want to do once they get out of the military.  I think just going to school (whatever you call it) would help their self-confidence toward making them understand how vital they and their experience is toward making this country great.  We need to make them understand they are not 'throw aways'.

Honored Contributor

So, I'm wondering what some of you think the solution is. 

Honored Contributor

There is no solution, except to do your best to be charitable. Even Christ said ,the poor would always be with us

It's a challenge to be sure

Honored Contributor

Re: So many homeless

[ Edited ]

Annabellethecat wrote:

So, I'm wondering what some of you think the solution is. 

Unfortunately, we can't talk about some of the solutions (or the root of some of the problems) because that involves controversial discussions not appropriate here (according to the standards).    I will say that the VA used to have a wonderful expansive program with domiciliary facilities on-site at their medical centers across the country, for the veterans who needed a home.   It was a fine endeavor, and it also incorporated volunteer or partially-compensated work for those homeless vets.  Over time, more and more of the buildings have been closed and the veterans turned away.   Also, we need to learn what's going on behind the scenes regarding the way changes were made and the real reasons vs. those bumper-sticker slogans provided to the public.    I worked in national programs with the VA, and I know and saw what happened and is happening...  and what the special interest, personal goals are with certain powers-that-be.    It has nothing to do with better care, it has everything to do with enriching individuals in power and in businesses.    Regarding the problem at large, beyond the VA and our veterans, it's easy to judge and say everyone could change their lives and rise out of poverty or homelessness...  easy to judge and say, but not true.    The documentary, "American Winter," explains it well, as to a couple of other more recent documentaries.     There's also a discussion in the TV and Movies subforum:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/Did-Anyone-Watch-20-20-on-the-Shrinking-Middle-Class-last-...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova