Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

@dex

I agree, and unfortunately many of them are Veterans of the United States Armed Forces. As far as many of the others? Sure, everyone has problems, but many invite them upon themselves. While I have empathy for some that do this, I do not have sympathy for them.

College loans to me fall into a certain category, and if the money was used to get a higher education, it was their choice, and/or, maybe their mistake. Unless they are above mentioned US Armed Forces Veterans?

I grew up in Public Housing Projects and when my age was still in single digits, it was not hard for me to understand why some families, regardless of their source of income, seemed to be getting poorer and poorer. Won't go into that other than to say, they made their choices and their children paid the toll.

We don't have that overwhelming problem where we live. I am guessing that many cities, closer to borders might have more than us here in the Midwest. Our present home is only a few minutes from our State Line, but that is not a border.

hckynut(john)

I too grew up in public housing was on welfare, food stamps the whole shabang. I made the choice as did the rest of my siblings to not continue the cycle and do better. We all did and so did our Mom. The cycle of welfare does not have to continue from generation to generation.

Now on the homeless, we live on the border too and we get all the people coming South needing help. Our church and others help as much as they can. It saddens me though to see the same people year after year in the same situation not getting any better. It give me great joy to not see someone that was homeless and to ask about them and be told they have a job and a home and are doing well.

About the student loans I agree with you, the loans were for an education and if it is not being used that is the choice of the person and they should pay the loans back. I her so many people complain about having to pay the loans back and it really makes me angry especially from friends that are now Dr's making big money.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

What really bothers me are the people that get a degree and are able to work but they choose to live off other people for whatever reason. I know people personally that do this. They are smart and there is no reason not to work except that they do not want to be a part of society or can't work in an environment that they have to do what someone else tells them to do.

We should take care of our Vetarans and children, neither of which should go hungry or homeless. Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

One mistake should not ruin a person for a lifetime.    

And the mistake may not have been yours, it could be your parent or other family member.     Everything is geared for the rich to get richer and hold back the poor.   It's not like it was 30 or 40 years ago.    The cost of basic needs is through the roof -  food, when you can find it, utilities, transportation, insurance.

While it's a very good idea to assist the homeless where & how you can, the "system" needs to change.    And I don't mean more hand-outs.   I mean making necessities affordable and accessable. 

Honored Contributor

@happygolfcartrider Unfortunately my son and his friends got law degrees...no jobs for them.My son has a steady job that doesn't pay well but he is working.He applies for any jobs he qualifies for but there are many applicants each time.He has been interviewed and not got the position a few times though.He recently was the number one choice for a job at a hospital but it turned out they were paying less than he already earns.

Honored Contributor

We have a person in my town, with a law degree ,working as a waiter.  Some fields are almost closed.  It's important when you get a degree, to look at the job opportunites.  The job market has been bad for a long time

Valued Contributor

People in this country are homeless by choice unless they are mentally ill.  With all of the homeless shelters, subsidized housing etc  there is no reason in this country to be homeless.  

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@happygolfcartrider Unfortunately my son and his friends got law degrees...no jobs for them.My son has a steady job that doesn't pay well but he is working.He applies for any jobs he qualifies for but there are many applicants each time.He has been interviewed and not got the position a few times though.He recently was the number one choice for a job at a hospital but it turned out they were paying less than he already earns.

@dex I am so sorry your son is having trouble finding a job, My prayers are with you for his ability to get a good job in his field. 

The people I know that have a degree but are not even trying to find a job are the ones I have a problem with.

God Bless you and your son..Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

I live in Sarasota County. Every few weeks we hear on the local news about the Sarasota police rousting out the homeless from where ever they are staying and making them leave. Tourism is huge down here and they don't want the homeless visible to either the tourists or the snowbirds. They never consider where are these poor people to go? They just want them to disappear. It is really heart breaking. What are they supposed to do?Not far from my town there is a state gamelands. It has a defunct campground in it and I understand from the homeless who come to our foodbank, the toilets and showers still work, so many homeless are currently living there. We try, if we possibly have the money to give them a tent to live in,which provides them shelter from the wind & rain.However, the County doesn't want us to do that because they "Don't want them getting comfortable up there." Of course , many people who are homeless up north, when it starts getting cold, they start walking south, so they don't freeze.They end up in Florida and the numbers do seem to be growing.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I live in Sarasota County. Every few weeks we hear on the local news about the Sarasota police rousting out the homeless from where ever they are staying and making them leave. Tourism is huge down here and they don't want the homeless visible to either the tourists or the snowbirds. They never consider where are these poor people to go? They just want them to disappear. It is really heart breaking. What are they supposed to do?Not far from my town there is a state gamelands. It has a defunct campground in it and I understand from the homeless who come to our foodbank, the toilets and showers still work, so many homeless are currently living there. We try, if we possibly have the money to give them a tent to live in,which provides them shelter from the wind & rain.However, the County doesn't want us to do that because they "Don't want them getting comfortable up there." Of course , many people who are homeless up north, when it starts getting cold, they start walking south, so they don't freeze.They end up in Florida and the numbers do seem to be growing.

@151949 I am on the East Coast in a beach area and we have a huge homeless problem too. We have a lot of Churches, shelters and individuals that help the homeless and for this I am grateful. Thank Goodness I do not hear too much about them being detrimental to the tourist. I believe in helping others and will always do something to help.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

My niece passed the bar three years ago in N.Y.  She was working as an intern while going to school, they hired her fulltime as a corporate lawyer soon as she passed the bar. Recently she left there and is now working for a law firm. My son has a job to carry his loans and thankfully the total is down under $15,000 now. Many do not get the salaries that cover a $600 a month student loan bill along with the normal bills of living. These young students don't all realize this and it affects them for decades with poor credit ratings and collection agencies chasing them.They need more education explaining all of this before they start taking out these loans and choosing a major. My niece and son can and will complete paying their loans off. My son just didn't realize the long term affects on his daily life.  I tell him he's lucky be is lucky he is able to make his payments many are not.