Esteemed Contributor

School went peanut free and parents are complaining

My granddaughters Prechool/ Kindergarden went peanut free this year. Some parents are complaining that their kids are being 'punished' because other kids can't eat or be around nuts. They are calling these poor children "The Peanut Kids" and telling their children IT IS THEIR FAULT because they are not allowed snacks with peanut butter.

Although my granddaughter CAN eat peanuts, she has a severe allergy to TREE NUTS. The teacher has an Epi pen for her. and she sits at the "peanut table".

I can't believe people could be so mean about an issue that can KILL another child.

Honored Contributor

Re: School went peanut free and parents are complaining

[ Edited ]

My first thought is:  Can't the parents feed peanuts and peanut butter to their kids at home?  Maybe as an after-school snack with a glass of milk.   We always had a glass of chocolate milk with a few peanut butter or other cookies after school and before our homework.  (Tons of homework from 3:30pm to dinner time, and then more hours of homework, way past parents' bed time.)  My gosh, how did we do all of that?  Well, that's another story.................

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

People never cease to amaze & disappoint me.  Kids learn what they live, so at an early age these kids are learning to mistreat others who are different from them.. My 4yr. old granddaughter has peanut & tree nut allergies, so my heart goes out to you & her.  SMH.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

That's appalling!

Their peanut lovin' kids can have all the peanut snacks at their own home and not risk the health or LIFE of another innocent child, who can't help the fact that they have an allergy!

That's what's wrong with the 'young generation' of today.....a ridiculous amount of self-entitlement and lack of true parenting, IMO!

Sounds like the teacher of this class needs to give them (AND their parents) some lessons about compassion.

The parents who are complaining are just idiots, who probably jump on the 'politcally correct' train, every time it rolls by, just waiting to voice their 'not fair'/injustice rant.

The parents should be ashamed of themselves.....and teach their kids that the world doesn't just revolve around them and their 'wants'. 

Grrrrr.....stuff like this really makes me angry.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Yes, it builds character.  Sometimes we just cannot have/do things for a few hours each day, while at work, school, etc.  Plenty of time to eat peanut butter and/or peanuts at home and on the weekend.  It's not a major sacrifice, and the parents should educate their kids re: the danger of some foods to the other children.  The parents (in this case) are being 'child-ish'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I believe the complaints -  part of the "I want the world to work my way" complex.  The rest of you be d^mned.  Sort of like Kim Davis, Donaold T, etc.

Just what a parent should do with a child who is allergic the complainers don't say, of course.  And by kindergartn, it may be too late to fend off the allergens.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

It's probably the best option for schools to keep all the kids safe. If the parents complaining had a child in this situation they would feel different.

Esteemed Contributor

Many of our schools are peanut free.  No child need to be subjected to a food that could kill them.  Sunbutter is a great substitute that tastes just like peanut butter, my children could never tell the difference.  These parents who complain about the "no peanut" rule are the very one's who think the world should revolve around their children.

Honored Contributor

I just heard about this the other day - kids weren't allowed to bring PB&J sandwiches in their lunches.  What a shame but I wonder what's given rise to the increase in peanut allergies.  This wasn't a problem back in the day.

'Back in the day' one of our neighbor chidren was allergic to peanuts.  He knew it.  He just did not trade stuff at school.  He also refused politely (another topic) food away from home unless he was certain the  offer came from a person who (whom, don't care anymore) was aware of his allergy. 

That said, I am glad I do not need to deal with all the restrictions and PC stuff in schools today.  Children who bully other children need to be dealt with by the school quickly!  Being bullied does not build character in either child.