Respected Contributor

Re: STOP! Grammar Time...

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Love my grandkids

I know exactly what you mean!  Sadly, I had to learn the hard way to keep my big mouth shut...or is it "closed?"  LOL.  Sometimes, I have to just sit on my hands for a while!  Double negatives drive me to distraction.

@MacDUFF

Cause I ain't got nobody......

Honored Contributor

Possessive plurals used incorrectly!  Grrrrr...........

"I cleaned the old blouse's out of my closet."

Exactly what did the blouses own please?

Image result for cartoon characters upset over grammar

Honored Contributor

I have good handwriting.

Trusted Contributor

Good to know that I'm not alone. My current favorite phrase that makes me cringe is, "these ones". Though it's technically not improper useage, it just does not roll off the tongue when you're a member of the GP.

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

Good to know that I'm not alone. My current favorite phrase that makes me cringe is, "these ones". Though it's technically not improper useage, it just does not roll off the tongue when you're a member of the GP.

I heard "these ones" used in a sentence years ago by a very educated woman and thought maybe she wasn't as smart as I thought she was. Good to know it's really not a mistake, just sounds wrong. I like when grammar, punctuation and spelling is correct, but I'm not ****** about it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think on a public message board anyone should think they have the right to correct other posters figure of speech, spelling or grammer or typing.Everyone has different skills and talents and as long as we can understand what someone is saying and the point they are making - who cares about spelling or grammer? IMO - some people think they are somehow a better person because they recognize or correct others - they are not though - they are simply rude. Many times things are corrected by someone on this board and the correction itself is actually incorrect. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if the Moderators have as much fun reading our posts as we have posting them?

I am done with school people.  I don't even do spell check.  I just blame all my mistakes on my acrylic nails.    LOL

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Love my grandkids

I know exactly what you mean!  Sadly, I had to learn the hard way to keep my big mouth shut...or is it "closed?"  LOL.  Sometimes, I have to just sit on my hands for a while!  Double negatives drive me to distraction.

@MacDUFF

Me too! Smiley Sad

I hear double negatives CONSTANTLY where I live. I think people whose first language is Spanish tend to do this because double negatives are correct in that language.  I guess they assume they're also correct when speaking English.  I do, however, have an English-speaking co-worker who uses double negatives and I think, to myself, she should know better! 

Respected Contributor

This is not necessarily a grammar issue, but starting sentences with "So . . ." or saying, "you know" or "like" multiple times in a sentence.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Love my grandkids

@MacDUFF

Me too! Smiley Sad

I hear double negatives CONSTANTLY where I live. I think people whose first language is Spanish tend to do this because double negatives are correct in that language.  I guess they assume they're also correct when speaking English.  I do, however, have an English-speaking co-worker who uses double negatives and I think, to myself, she should know better! 

It don't make me no never mind 👹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all