Contributor

Please help---side by side or French door fridge???

Hi, Friends....looking for opinions. My old fridge just died and I want to make the right decision on what style to get. Side by side is tried and true....and I hear some questionable things about the French door style but I am torn because they seem like so much fun but the idea of a freezer on the bottom scares me.....any thoughts? I thank you in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please help---side by side or French door fridge???

I have one of each and SO prefer the French Door Freezer on the bottom.So much more room...I would never buy another side by side...

Respected Contributor

Ok. I've had both. Loved the side but couldn't fit a lot of things. Turkeys,frozen pizza even family size box of waffles. I currently have French doors with bottom freezer. I like where the freezer is. I love the look of the French doors but I find you have to make sure they are closed properly. Because of the seals on the 2 doors ,you close one of the doors, the other may pop open. I think it's a suction thing. Mine has an alarm on it so if this happens  it goes off. It must be a common problem. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree with mothertrucker - I would always buy french door instead of side-by-side, have had at least 2 of each.  I have a top freezer second fridge and a  single-door stand alone freezer, too.  I'm all set with storage for perishables.  Hope they last forever - ha.

Trusted Contributor

I have a small refrigerator because it's a built in.  I get the most bang for my buck with the French door fridge.  It look prettier and I can fit a lot more in my fridge and I haven't lost any freezer space.

Esteemed Contributor

I have both ... love the LG French Door ... I chose the 4 door model ... it looks GREAT & the freezer on the bottom is good because you can put larger items in it .. the side by side is limited as far as the size of the item you are freezing!! 🌷🌷

Trusted Contributor

I have a french door fridge and like it.  The drawer in the bottom is nice for short people like me.  I can't tell that it has any more room in it; if anything, it has less room because you can't stack anything too high or you can't close the door.  The door has baskets in it whcih cuts down some space along the sides, too.  Also, I got the one with the icemaker in the drawer, so that cuts additional space from the freezer rather than the frig part.

Honored Contributor

I have a medium sized side by side which I thought I wanted.  I am looking forward to replacing it with a french door.  The freezer is impossible.  

Valued Contributor

I just replaced my old side-by-side, which I didn't like (difficult spaces to put stuff in) with a French door, freezer at the bottom.  Could not be happier! Fantastic usable space. Love it.

Honored Contributor

I have never seen a side-by-side I wanted.  I'd go for the French door.