Respected Contributor

Part-time Job search VENT ...

Am I being unreasonable?  Are my expectations too high?

A week ago, I applied for a PT job I saw online ...

Yesterday, I got an email asking what time they could call me and at what phone number.

Uhhhh ...?

I've never had this happen.

Every prospective employer gets the same resume', which is very organized.

My name, phone # and my email address are at the top of the page.

Employers usually call me first, then send an email confirmation.

I've been retired for years. (as is reflected on the resume')

So, this employer sends me an email wanting to know what time to call me .. and at what phone # ..??

Uhhhh?

Well, where do you think I'm gonna be between 8A-5PM every day, all day?

Has she ever heard of voicemail?

Did she ever think of calling the phone # on my resume'? 

In the time it took her to write that email, she could've called me & left a message -- or better yet, actually spoken to me!

I don't "get it".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Part-time Job search VENT ...

It does seem strange but maybe they are trying to be respectful of your time and privacy.i find the whole phone interview strange but that is the norm now.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure what you are upset about.  You would rather they cold call you for an interview?

Good grief - they are giving you an opportunity to set a time - and a number that is convenient for you (maybe the number on your resume isn't the best at all times).  My goodnesss - I'd think you'd appreciate their thoughtfulness, rather than criticize them.

But hey it seems like clearly they would not be a good fit for you since you are so disapproving of their procedures.

Respected Contributor

They are probably trying to set up a phone interview.  Many times, more than one person could be doing the interview and they could be in various locations.  This saves both the interviewer and candidate time.  In some cases, there could be hundreds applying for the same job, so if they called looking for a time and number, that is a good sign.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

The recruiter probably should have given a little more information, but what they are setting up is your phone screen interview.  They want to know what is a good time for you and the phone number to reach you at at that time.

If you are not currently working, they don't know if you have other obligations during the day or what phone number you can be reached at at that time.   Some people only give their email address and home number on their resume, but some people prefer their cell phone number be used for these things, especially if they are going to be away from their home during the time of the call.

It's better that they ask  you your preference than assume that because you are retired you are sitting next to the phone waiting for their call.  It's respectful of your time and your preferences.

It's a positive thing, if you choose to look at it that way.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

They're asking for best time to call so they DON'T get your vm.

Current job, phone interview only - no in person interview at all. This is a professional position/degree required.

Honored Contributor

I agree with this post.  A phone interview cuts to the ch...

[ Edited ]

I agree with this post.  A phone interview cuts to the chase.  Unfortunately,  if I was interviewing I would prefer the personal contact.  However, this may be becoming the new norm with so many looking for work.  Best of luck to you....if you really want the job, let them know you are looking forward to talking to them between certain hours at a certain phone number and you appreciate their concern.  Otherwise, move on and let it go putting your energy into new possibilities.  

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

They are probably trying to set up a phone interview.  Many times, more than one person could be doing the interview and they could be in various locations.  This saves both the interviewer and candidate time.  In some cases, there could be hundreds applying for the same job, so if they called looking for a time and number, that is a good sign.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, my best times are 11-1 because I'm at my highest energy of the day.  I prefer to do these things during that time, so I would schedule this phone screen during this time if given the choice.

Also, scheduling in advance allows me:

• Time to organize my thoughts, have the key points I want to get across to them during the call written down.  

• I will not be running around the house and answer the phone breathless.  

• I will to be sitting at a table vs laying on the sofa during the call.  

• I will answer the phone professionally.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I agree that they are trying to set up a phone interview and are giving you the opportunity to provide a phone number that might be different from what you included.... one where you will not be interrupted (dogs, kids, etc.) and can conduct your interview at your convenience.

I understand your confusion but with all the phones we have now, it seems reasonable to me.  Good luck! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

They're asking for best time to call so they DON'T get your vm.

Current job, phone interview only - no in person interview at all. This is a professional position/degree required.

That's interesting.  Usually, when employers do a phone interview, the applicant is told so in advance.

The email did not specify "phone interview".

I'm glad I "vented" this out, as it's alleviated my concern.

I've got a back-up job, which I'll accept instead.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."