Honored Contributor

Re: Part-time Job search VENT ...

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Are you sure you really want a job? You don't seem to be at all flexible and your criticisms seem to me to be very picky. They were making an effort to be polite and respectful to you. 

Sure I do.  But at this late stage in my life, compatibility is important to me --- specifically, styles of communicating.  If they wanted to set up a time to do a phone interview, then I would've expected the email to say so.  I never would've told them I was home all day and could be reached at any time.

This, IMHO, is a miscommunication.   Bad start ....

But, no worries.  I believe everything happens for a reason.  This company is huge, many employees, etc. .. been there, done that. 

The other option I have is with a much smaller company and I will accept that job instead.

Thanks for your feedback.

@RinaRina

So .......     unless someone communicates with you according to YOUR specifications, you think they are off to a "bad start"?    

How about you demonstrating your ability to be flexible?    How about you demonstrating that you aren't stuck in old ways?

Personally, your taking issue with the fact that the email wasn't worded the way you think it should have been worded shows you are a difficult person ....   and would be a difficult employee.   No company needs more difficult people.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina

Don't know what is bothering you. They are trying to set up a phone interview. It could be that you're out of town and need to be reached at a different number. How could they know?  They are simply trying to set up an interview time. To be honest, as a former hiring manager myself, I would avoid someone with your attitude. It seems to me as if you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and you might want to think about that before you start going into interviews. 

Respected Contributor

If they emailed me like that, I would be very happy.

It would mean that I would not be giving the dog a bath, running errands, or be otherwise occupied and not at my best when they called.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Just curious.  I am from the time of phone interviews.  But Skype interviews right off the bat now?  I would feel like Kim K. or someone.  Guess I am from the olden days.

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@RinaRina

Don't know what is bothering you. They are trying to set up a phone interview. It could be that you're out of town and need to be reached at a different number. How could they know?  They are simply trying to set up an interview time. To be honest, as a former hiring manager myself, I would avoid someone with your attitude. It seems to me as if you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and you might want to think about that before you start going into interviews. 

@libbyannE

I agree.

Ditch the chip.

Trusted Contributor

HR gets the first look at resumes.

They then forward their choices to whoever is doing the hiring for that position.

My son is part of the hiring team for his department, and setting up phone interviews is a pain. It is a team of 3, and they set a whole afternoon to phone screen the applicants.

That means they need to get 3 people to all be available for a conference call at a designated time block. Once they get the timeframe locked, they then contact every person is is getting a phone interview.

They knock off the phone interviews at exact times. 1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm, 2:30pm, etc. Very precise, and very timed.

For them to ask you when you are available is for both sides benefit. They do not cold call. They want you ready, and prepared to talk. They want 100% of your attention. AND they want to get the process scheduled so they know the next applicant will be ready and will answer their phone as they proceed through the timeblock.

Don't answer your phone? Get distracted because the dog is barking or needs to go out? You can bet they will put your application in the "no" bin. You got fair warning of your time. If you are not ready, it tells them all they need to know.

LOL, as a side note, one guy that got through two phone interviews and into a face to face interview stood up and said "excuse me, I have to crack my back"...and proceeded to do so!

As they tried to contain themselves, someone asked him a question about some literature that was sent to him, and he answered "DKDR". What?????

"DON'T KNOW, DIDN'T READ" !!! He was speaking text talk!!!

Crazy! That is called "how to blow an interview".

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina

Hope you find a job that you like...and your boss and co-workers are nice to boot. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've learned not to burn bridges.    I was up for a job a few years ago.   It eventually boiled down to myself and one other person.    The other person got hired.    About 3 months later, she quit.    I got the call to come work for them!   Being #2 is not so bad.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@RinaRina

Hope you find a job that you like...and your boss and co-workers are nice to boot. Good luck!

Thanks for your kind thought.

Woman Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I've learned not to burn bridges.    I was up for a job a few years ago.   It eventually boiled down to myself and one other person.    The other person got hired.    About 3 months later, she quit.    I got the call to come work for them!   Being #2 is not so bad.

I was #2 for my last job.  He was hired because he knew the payroll software they used, but they mutually agreed he wasn't working out after about 30 days.

I started on Day 31 ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN