Honored Contributor

Re: Part-time Job search VENT ...

@RinaRina wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Are you sure you really want a job? You don't seem to be at all flexible and your criticisms seem to me to be very picky. They were making an effort to be polite and respectful to you. 

Sure I do.  But at this late stage in my life, compatibility is important to me --- specifically, styles of communicating.  If they wanted to set up a time to do a phone interview, then I would've expected the email to say so.  I never would've told them I was home all day and could be reached at any time.

This, IMHO, is a miscommunication.   Bad start ....

But, no worries.  I believe everything happens for a reason.  This company is huge, many employees, etc. .. been there, done that. 

The other option I have is with a much smaller company and I will accept that job instead.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like a good decision, obviously you haven't worked in a very long time.  If a simple email that is for YOUR benefit much more than theirs, upsets you;  you won't be able to function in a modern working environment.  Too much has changed since you last worked.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

At least you received a response!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Things are done differently now than when I worked.  My granddaughter had applied for a position which was followed up by face to face or Skype interview on her laptop.  I was amazed when she said she had to go into her room and would we all be quiet as her face to face interview was coming up in few mins.

After her computer interview she then had to go into company for a proper face to face interview.  She did get the job.  All new to me but it is a tech world now.  Hope you get your job good luck.

Honored Contributor

Are you being unreasonable? Well, you asked...so yes. They were trying to be respectful of you and your time - and their time (so you'd be prepared and not rushed). They were trying to set up a phone interview - first step for some employers.  Had they just called you at 8:01am some weekday morning, you would have no doubt been put off at being put on the spot, inconvenient time, etc.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Assuming both jobs are offered, then the OP can 'accept' the one of her choice, but for most job types, it is SO not a 'seller's market'... Most employers these days are looking for solid workers who are 'team players', as tedious as that jargon has become, and prefer not to bring in folks with an attitude, whether it's one of arrogance or defensiveness... I'm not saying that applies here, I'm just saying...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Large employers are impersonal. They have to be. A job opening with decent pay & benefits can draw 200 applications in the few days it's open.

Everything is digital. No paper resumes. Phone interview, maybe 2 phone interviews. All paperwork sent as email attachments and hiring package that needs original signatures sent by FedEx.

They expect you to have a computer, printer, scanner/fax, digital signature, email, know how to send docs as .pdf or .jpeg attachments.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Are you being unreasonable? Well, you asked...so yes. They were trying to be respectful of you and your time - and their time (so you'd be prepared and not rushed). They were trying to set up a phone interview - first step for some employers.  Had they just called you at 8:01am some weekday morning, you would have no doubt been put off at being put on the spot, inconvenient time, etc.  Good luck!

@Mj12

Exactly!

If this company had just called her out of the clear blue to do an interview, or set up an interview, she would be carping about that.

This company was danged if they did, and danged if they didn't.

Respected Contributor

I'd be thrilled they thought enough of my resume to consider me for the job.

If they're "too stupid" for you and their practices cause you aggravation, perhaps you don't want to work for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I'd be thrilled they thought enough of my resume to consider me for the job.

If they're "too stupid" for you and their practices cause you aggravation, perhaps you don't want to work for them.

@SaRina

I 100% agree with you.

I am sure that there are plenty of other candidates, who will be more than happy to comply with the email,and not see anything "sinister" about what the company did.

You see, those people are team players, and are greatful to be considered for the job.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina   How bad do you want the job?

If it does  not really matter.....bring this up with them.....how VERY organized you are BLA BLA BLA......

If if you want the job....suck up and give them the info they want.....and wait for the call.... All day if you have to.....

It is YOU who does  not get "IT"