Respected Contributor

Opinion Poll: Going to Work Sick ...

[ Edited ]

Do you think it's inconsiderate to go to work when you have the flu?

(No, I am not the one who is sick.)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinion Poll: Going to Work Sick ...

Definitly...work or church or to someones party, house, etc.

Respected Contributor

Yes. More than merely inconsiderate, downright dangerous

for many with conditions who may catch it and develop

complications.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I think it's inconsiderate.

I've also been in situations where parents sent their obviously sick kids to school or sporting events.  IMO that's wrong too.

Respected Contributor

I know the OP's question was directed to work situations, but I teach and you can't believe how many children are sent to school with fevers, sinus infections, bronchitis, rashes, etc.   It's a constant cycle of transmitting infection to other students and staff.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

In a perfect world, I guess, yes, it would be better not to.  Depends on the nature of the job.  It's just not always an option.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don't know how anyone with the flu can drag themselves anywhere.

Plus there is a time when its not contagious.

But it's an easy question to answer - it's worse than inconsiderate

Sometimes my office sounds like a TB ward, everyone coughing & sneezing - stay home!

@RinaRina wrote:

Respected Contributor

Going to work sick is sometimes unavoidable.  Many workplaces are staffed so "bare boned" that when someone is absent, it creates s real hardship on their co-workers, who have to do their own work and try to cover for the person who is out.  And many can't afford to miss much work.  So sure...ideally sick people should stay home.  But I can't see it ever happening in many cases.  I remember once when my boss and I both got the flu.....we were both so sick.  But the place would grind to a halt after a couple days if we weren't there.  He stayed home two days, and I was out three.  It should have been two weeks...but we both knew that wasn't going to happen.  

Now for other places.....movies, parties, church.....sick people should definitely  stay home.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Some people don't have a choice.  Maaaaaany employers don't offer sick days and/or PTO.  Some people won't be able to feed their families or buy medication if they don't get paid.  Some people don't have back up (our priest has a very bad cold but still said Mass).  I think the sick person needs to be careful about what they touch and how close they are to others, including covering their mouth and using hand sanitizer. If they are in a public role, wear a mask over the nose and mouth.

You just never know why that person showed up for work.  A little patience and compassion goes a long way.

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I know the OP's question was directed to work situations, but I teach and you can't believe how many children are sent to school with fevers, sinus infections, bronchitis, rashes, etc.   It's a constant cycle of transmitting infection to other students and staff.   

I agree.....i see the constant ills with my grandchildren....i guess it is a sign of the times.....most homes have the two parents working....and if they can't or don't want to take off work i think they tend to send the children to school regardless of sickness.