Honored Contributor

Re: October 2016 Back Fence needs a bit of Shoring Up - Let's start!

Hello all - work is jumping again today.  That's how it is when ya work in health insurance.  I started the morning off with something interesting happening in the front of my house, lol.  On my street, people can park cars on one side of the street only and that would be my side.  There is a family across the street (Ma, Dad and son) and each person has their own car.  Son has always preferred to park his pickup truck in front of my house versus his driveway (I'm rolling my eyes here). 

It's a public street.  What aggravates me from time to time is he comes down the block the wrong way (for parking on my side of the street), drives up into my driveway and then backs out. 

Anyway, I digress, he he.  I was in the bathroom putting some styling gel into my hair, thinking Bernie you need a haircut when I heard a pop/boom.  At first I thought, hmm, not a blown out tire.  I would know - my superhero skill is being able to control a car going 60 MPH when a tire blows out, rofl.

So, I walked to the office window and saw the SUV that looked kinda like a Pacifica.  Some guy, after dropping his kids off at the school near me was driving through the neighborhood to exit on the major street and must have blinked or something.  He hit the kid's pick up truck hard enough to move that pick up truck next door, kinda on my neighbor Betty's curb.  I'm telling you every airbag in that SUV deployed.  I now know what a side curtain airbag looks like.  He actually triggered the kid's airbag in the pick up truck and busted out the kid's rear window.

I stood there and all I could say was Dang-eee.  What a rotten way to start the day. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It's chilly and windy here however at least the sun is shining :-)

I allowed myself to sleep in until a little after 8am this morning.  I think I had a nice dream - too bad I can't remember it.

I found all sorts of debris - mostly headlight pieces in my front yard this morning.  I expected some wreckage on the grass near the curb.  Sure didn't expect to find pieces on my side of the sidewalk in the grass right in front of the house.  Wow.

I cut the front grass and am thawing out before heading out to do the backyard.

If it keeps up like this, I will be bringing hot chocolate to the back fence, lol.

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I saw a pretty good movie today with Ben Affleck, called the Accountant.  Considering I'm not crazy about Ben Affleck and only went because my sister wanted to see it, I surprised myself by really enjoying it.

Respected Contributor

Will try and stop by tomorrow - I did fill the bird feeders yesterday however and that is good so now we will have some fluttering feathers around us here at the fence. Also went and got some more  yummy cinnamon/raisen bagels from Aldi's.

Hope one and all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, doing a quick drive by as it's busy at work today.  Sun was shining, looks like it's hiding behind some heavy clouds.  I haven't heard a weather report in days so don't know if rain's coming. 

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I don't think I was hearing things when I heard one of the morning DJs on the radio say it was in the upper 20's this morning or going to be in the upper 20's tomorrow morning.  Okay, I heard upper 20's, not sure of which day. 

I'm sure Freddie can relate when I say that I have it going on in the morning.  Between the inside birds wanting theirs and the outside birds and squirrels wanting theirs, I'm moving non stop before I leave for work.

I wore suede winter gloves to drive in although that's not really a stretch.  I can wear gloves in August if it's cold, he he he.

I called my SIL Karen this past Sunday to find out if she had been scheduled for kidney removal surgery.  I didn't want to bug her too soon since she needed to digest the cancer diagnosis.  Turns out AZ is like Michigan - hurry up and wait.

She went through more testing last week.  The urologist is on vacation this week and his schedule is too hectic next week.  So much for, let's get it out in 2 weeks.

I'm hoping the next time I talk to her, she's got a date scheduled.  In the meantime I have a flameless candle cycling for her and I continue to pray for a favorable outcome.

Trusted Contributor

We've had a lot of rain here too and it is cold.  I rescued the glass tube out of the rain gauge stand.   The last two years, water froze In There and it broke.  I can't seem to find a plastic one the right size.   The little plastic finch that sat on the top of it is broken (Merle swears he's innocent). So I guess it is time to find another one.   I could just set a measuring cup out but what fun is that. 

Bernie, I will keep Karen in my prayers.  I know doctors need vacations too but when you're waiting to see them, it is irritating.  

Poor little pooch, Mousie.  Hope there is a pardon soon.  

I went in to empty the shredder and the basket was so full, I had to mash it down.  What in the world he shredded I have no idea but I know it wasn't the mail this week.  I think he must be cleaning out files.  I said you know all you have to shred is the address, we don't need to shred the whole ad.  Oh well.   

Respected Contributor

Betty, that is funny about the shredding. I spend a lot of my time tearing off addresses and shredding them - NOT everything connected with them. Even that is a pain in the neck job.

Twenty degrees? That would do it for me - have not been in that kind of weather in many years although we do get low 30s from time to time. Suppose to get some more rain - sure hope so - it was heavenly and much needed.

Monday while taking Davey to school had to take some detours due to the rain - on one street two power poles with active lines of course had come down. Soil is so dry way down our normal underground moisture has been long gone so when we get some rain it certainly helps but does some damage too. Lots of accidents.

Got all the washing done yesterday and much put away - yesterday was a super busy day. People also in and out and so it went - I also had to find clothes for the two little ones. Their clothing for cooler times no longer fit - either one of them. Got some at Kohls, Target, Ross and a couple thrift stores. Whew!!!! Talk about $$$ for the two of them. Not sure if I got an ample supply but do know they go through at least two outfits each day - if lucky - and that is both of them. Sure wish I could get Ricky potty trained - am trying but it ain't easy. Do not remember it being so difficult but with him it sure is. And my little angel, Leah, is developing a temper. While still an angel she sure can throw a hissy fit these days. I think she got all her clues from Ricky. Geesh!! At the same time with all the kids I have had in my home never had a little boy - all had been girls - different for sure.

Saw a hummer yesterday morning and no, still have not gotten the other feeder I need. Well they have two out there that are working OK, but still would like to have one in the back yard.

Hope one and all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Happy Hump Day Fencers :-)

It's drizzling outside my 18th floor window.  I'm parked on the top floor of the garage and am pretty sure I didn't leave the car windows cracked open.  

The other day I had an interesting experience.  I parked the car on the top floor and left the windows cracked since no rain was forecast.  When I got out of work at the end of the day, I hopped into the car and it smelled like pipe smoke.

I was on the phone with my sister and said, wow, the car smells like someone was smoking a pipe in the car, smells nice.  She got quiet and said the only person we ever knew who smoked a pipe on occasion was Dad.  I said, maybe he decided to pay a visit :-)

It didn't scare me and surely smelled like the blend he used to smoke many many years ago.

Since Halloween is just around the corner, dig in:

Image result for bowl of halloween candy

Respected Contributor

@yock. Hi! I have one of those sofas too and know what you mean! If you can't put  a small table close enough to set your cup on, try one of those table thingys that look like a small hospital tray table ( only MUCH nicer looking and less institutional!) They slide under sofas and have a flat top that "floats" over the sofa. I believe they are adjustable with their height as well! I figure with our sofas they could run under the side so the table part sits over the arm! Enjoy your clean rugs and new furniture!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.